More registered name ideas along that line
(Kennel)'s Evening Star
Evening Light
Magic Evening
Evening Magic
Buona Sera (Italian for Good Evening)

Again

I didn’t say it was an all breed thing, as it clearly

The US breeders that tend to follow the SV, FCI, etc main breed parent club, would be the ones following breed litter naming rather than the pet breeders or the AKC show breeders.

As for call names, of course the puppy buyer can call the dog whatever they want. The breeder has no control over that.

2 Likes

Way back in the dark ages when I was breeding Salukis, I used the letter naming convention. My first litter was Andromeda, Ambrosia, Antares, Archangel, Assassin, Avalanche. Second letter was Bewitched, Bedazzled, Beguiled, Bacchus, Baroque, Babylon, and Bangkok. Third litter was going to be “C” but we never got that far - the economy crashed and I stopped breeding (Salukis weren’t easy to place in homes in those days and I didn’t want to end up as a hoarder).

I also had a male Afghan Hound whose entire litter had been named after spices. His name was “Coriander” but I always thought it was a bit of a girly name so we called him “Bear” (he was a big solid guy and charcoal brindle in color).

1 Like

How about Celestial Supernova, if you want something referring to endings?

2 Likes

I love that. Works for either gender, too.

Well, you did say every reputable breeder you know does it. You must know breeders in other breeds.

As for registration; I just registered my puppy and it was pre-registered by the breeder and I completed the rest of the application. She could have done it herself using the name I chose, but we had spelling problems. However, when I got the pre-registration link, I would not have been able to remove the Kennel name.

The last two puppies were done with the mail in paper registrations, and I can’t exactly remember how that worked. But both were bred by people I knew very well and who trusted me. I can’t really imagine not using the naming convention they preferred (e.g. kennel name); I want my dogs to be recognized by their breeding lines.

Not sure what they would do if they were selling to someone they didn’t know; maybe they would complete the entire registration. I know they would give advice on names but wouldn’t insist other than the kennel names.

These are awesome! Thanks!

So I also thought of Celestial Supernova and loved it, but the only call name I could come up with was Nova which wasn’t my favorite. Can you think of a different call name?

Any of the historically significant supernovas would work - other people don’t have to immediately get the significance.

Cassiopeia is my pick for a bitch puppy. Cassie for short, of course.

2 Likes

Not sure of your age or your music preferences
 but if that was my dog, its call name would be Oasis.

2 Likes

I had a co-worker for a while who was a big collector of Marvel comic books. He had a screensaver of some sort of creature that he described as a “Marvel Celestial.” I think there are a bunch of different ones - maybe you could use one of those names.

If you used Celestial Supernova, you could call him/her Super or Soup. :smiley:

1 Like

I can hear it now
Soooouup!! COME!! 
and my neighbors thinking I have gone insane! Lol! Might be worth the laugh though!

1 Like

This list is awesome! I’m leaning towards Cassie or Lynx for a female, Draco or Oasis for a male. You all are awesome. Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Just don’t name it Shark and walk it near the beach.

3 Likes

This reminded me that we used to have a neighbour whose dog was named “Tasso”, but when they were calling him it always sounded like they were yelling “A**hole!” :rofl:

3 Likes

So the puppies had a totally different theme for their puppy names. And yes the owners will get to pick their own registered name with a reference to the litter theme. Only 2 of the puppies will do performance and might make it to the show ring so in reality the registered names won’t matter except on papers.

I think breeders are starting to register their litters as they’re finding most of the puppies aren’t getting registered. So they’re doing the paperwork and paying the AKC after talking with the puppy homes to come up with a name,

I have also seen a few breeders that register all the puppies with a name they’ve given them and I don’t like that method as it’s not as welcoming to the new owners. I did get a near 6 month old once who was registered already but that I don’t think is the same as getting a younger one.

LetItBe

1 Like

:slight_smile: Me too. And finally got it through by combining: Hellon Wheels. :smiley:

At least in one breed, there are some breeders who make keeping the registered name they select a condition of getting a puppy.

SO wanted Zoe’s registered name to be (kennel name) Miss Mizzou of (SO’s kennel name). I don’t recall offhand what it actually is, and it doesn’t matter since Zoe has never set foot on any show grounds for anything (too big for confo, and she doesn’t like to give the bird back to the handler, lol). But it’s the name her breeder wanted.