SI Injections 2nd round?

I agree look at hoof angles. We were barely negative right hind, it caused some very mild fiber disruption in the suspensory. He has these aluminum onion shoes now that cost a fortune, but it’s been almost a year since the diagnosis and we rechecked his suspensory and it’s still fine in full work.

But I realized lately that we had not injected his SI since, he was getting that done roughly every year. he has no more soreness there at all. Fixing the angles made a huge difference in several issues for a very big, very hard jumping horse.

5 Likes

I’ll speak with my vet!

He just got SI done Thursday, only back under saddle a few days so not sure yet how much it’s helped him.

3 Likes

I recently had hind shoes put on my horse with SI issues and while we are only a few rides in, the difference is noticeable. If this is what has been missing for the last 2 years I am going to kick myself all the way down the barn aisle.

2 Likes

I’m sorry - have only skimmed this thread. But - if you’re injecting a joint, you need to use that newfound absence of pain to change the horse’s way of going. An SI joint is frozen because the horse has learned to carry itself in a way that doesn’t stress the joint. While it’s not hurting, teach the horse to activate that joint - a true walk with swinging hips. You very well may have to start from the ground, with proper longeing, to convince the horse that it can move that way.

It’s a long journey to remake a horse, and not everyone has the patience. Injections are (only) a quick fix.

2 Likes

FWIW, I was told to keep hind shoes on my horse who rehabbed from an SI ligament injury. This came from the equine hospital who did the bone scan that confirmed the problem.

2 Likes

I am definitely going to get to work on it-he just also had his stifles done, so we’re continuing with lots of walking and I’m probably going to bring in the equiband again as well. Fingers crossed!

1 Like