Sick kitties (was smelly cat)

They are lines from the above-mentioned song. :slight_smile:

It’s a line from “Smelly Cat” - here you go. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry. Sometimes my sarcasm gets the better of me.

My other siamese is still SO sick. I feel terrible.

He was good for a solid 2 weeks before I brought smelly kitty (now Jack) home. Jack was here for 5 days when SImon took a turn. He felt like he was running a fever and was dead lame on one leg on Friday evening. I made an appt as soon as possible and he went to the vet on Tuesday. He got another type of antibiotic injection and a pain/anti inflammatory medication. He’s had water since then but not almost any food on his own.

I went back to the vet on Thursday and picked up some nasal drops. They said his antibiotic shot should be enough.

I purchased a product called Rebound and syringe fed it to him on Friday.

Meanwhile, Jack still has runny poo but is taking his medications and is now loose in the house as he’s using his box consistently.

1 Like

I’d ask for an x-ray of the leg ASAP. He might have an abscess, or worse. He might have fractured the leg at some point, even.

Did they at least do a blood panel? I’m so sorry - I know what the worry feels like. Jingles and hugs.

You can syringe feed canned food - make sure it’s a pate, and mix it thoroughly with water. I have a huge eye dropper - can’t even tell you where I got it now - that works great for that. It has a large barrel and a bulb on one end. There is also a product called Carnivore Complete Care you can order on Amazon - I gave it to Nigel when he was very sick this past winter.

1 Like

Poor kitties! I hope everybody feels better soon!

Is stomatitis a possibility for the stinky kitty? Not uncommon in older cats and the smell is usually your first symptom on top of dental disease. Poor kitties. Hoping they all feel better soon — that photo you shared is of quite the stunning cat. He got a serious upgrade living with you!

Jingles for those Meezers. And for you as well. Operating a sick cat test kitchen can take some real stamina.

Jingles for sick kitties. Isn’t it just great fun running kitty hospice? Not.

If I were a betting person, I would bet other kitty has an abscess brewing in that leg and if so, Convena or whatever they gave him is not going to work. Especially not with one shot. Another vote for an x-ray and more anti-biotics. I fed my last two sickies Tiki Velvet Mousse - a generous serving of something that could easily be syringed up. Also, the Wellness Core Tiny Tasters with some hot water stirred in went over well. Same with Sheba pate. Try and get some 3ml syringes. I get mine from Big Dee’s and I can just toss them after use so as not to keep re-infecting.

Glad Jack is using his box reliably. I think he just needed no competition and to know it was his. (well sort of …) He really is quite handsome. More pics when you get a chance, please!!!

1 Like

Has Simon been tested for Calcivirus? It is incredibly contagious, and a strain of it displays as limping (commonly on the front paws). Was he current on all his shots & vax when Jack came home? Its crazy how many viruses kitties can pass on to each other. My older guys all got the sniffles from the foster kittens and they are all UTD on shots. I think the street foster babies just had so many parasites/viruses that my pampered indoor fatties had never experienced that they picked up a few bugs. Some runny noses and eyes and sneezing, but it all passed in due time just fine.

http://www.kittenlady.org/limpingcalici
https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-calicivirus-fcv-infection/

Two of my foster kittens got limping calci it after their 2nd round of shots, they were low-energy and limping for about 3 -4 days, then came out of it just fine on their own.

5 Likes

Just checking in with some Jingles for the kitties.

1 Like