Unlimited access >

Silly things you've done with your horse?

OMG, I’m laughing myself silly reading this!

I’m sorry, I’m sure it was horrendously embarrassing at the time, but I’m laughing so hard right now!

Not me, but a friend of mine - she was at work, while her kids were at home during the summer. A tornado warning was issued for the area. Her kids ran out, got the pony, and brought him down into the basement with them (and all the assorted dogs and cats). IIRC, they had to bring him in the back door in order to get down the stairs. Friend arrived home to find them all still in the basement.

9 Likes

How cute! Too bad there wasn’t a photo of the gang of them.

3 Likes

Silly as in silly or silly as in stupid?

Silly as in silly….

Pool party with my flamingo :flamingo: :joy:

17 Likes

:laughing: :rofl:

Didnt have a horse as a kid, but as a teen had access to rental horses and could take out the naughty horses in the off hours. Off one trail was a super steep hill. Local motorcyclists would mess around there seeing who could get to the top. Most didnt and many flipped.

Of course we decided that we had to try that with the horses. My friend didn’t come close, but I was on a hot and powerful QH and he powered up as I held his mane and prayed he didn’t flip. Then I looked down, the only known way home. :scream: I unclipped one rein so I had double length and tried to stay to the side of him as we both slid down on our bums.

6 Likes

A friend and I were free jumping some of the horses using a chute. My horse goes barreling through the chute and without missing a beat jumped the 5’ arena wall and cantered calmly across the yard, into the barn and to his stall and commenced eating his evening hay. We just stood there with our mouths open. That was the one and only time we free jumped him.

10 Likes

Not the most egregious infraction, but the most recent…

Took a large blue tarp-like bag I had been using to store hay, swung it over his stall door, and started shaking it like crazy to get the hay out.

It wasn’t until he gave me the “really, Mom?” look that I realized what I had just done, and how bombproof my horse has had to become because he has me as an owner :skull:

4 Likes

50 + years ago
jumping side saddle in a regular (astride) sddle.

5 Likes

OK but the real question here is… how do you not have a pink halter to match?

1 Like

Did not realize this was a Minor Zombie :astonished:

Adding my first Winter with horses at home, got on the TB bareback & walked into the larger pasture through knee-high (on him) drifts.
Then turned to walk back…
He gave one lurching buck & cantered back toward the gate we’d come in, me calling him every cussword I knew, interspersed with WHOA! DAMNIT!!!
He dropped down to walk about 20’ from the gate.
Can horses snicker? Cuz, I swear he did!

I was That Day Old when I learned polarfleece sweatpants stick to horsehair like velcro :smirk:
& Any neighbors in earshot learned I was no Lady :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

We used to lie under the jumps and watch the horses go over top (this was a while ago)

2 Likes

Haha I definitely have one now, too late sadly lol

4 Likes

It was embarrassing at the time. And I still kick myself that as I walked her back to the barn past the wake and an attendee asked, “Is that X?” I said, “No, it’s my horse Y.” I should have just said yes and continued my walk of shame.

It’s definitely more of a humorous memory now though! The horse that doesn’t put a foot wrong more than about once a year, everyone’s favourite, chose that particular day to be a complete hooligan, “Hi! I am here to bring some comedic relief to this sombre occasion!” :rofl:

6 Likes

Speckles was a licker. He licked my hand, or my lower arm. He really liked the back of my red winter Mountain Horse jacket. He never didn’t anything with his lips - no mouthiness or nibbleing.
A request for treats was a totally different presentation.

We met Zeke and his mother Ashley at our new barn. This is her selfie photo. She did a video selfie where he is slobbering all over her shoulder and face and head, just like a dog. He was 28 and this was a couple of days before we had to put him down because his arthritic knee gave out… I can’t imagine what part of the brain stimulates this type of activity and what the aids are to get him started. He never did anything like this to anyone else, inclduing me.

3 Likes