Unlimited access >

Smart Gut Ultra?

My mare has been on SmartGut for a while. We treated her with generic omeprazole paste for 4 weeks when I moved her to a new boarding stable with a very different environment, 2 weeks before the move and 2 after. Didn’t see any change, but it was mostly precautionary anyway. Recently had her acupunctured, and the vet said she was consistent with having ulcers, so now we’re on pop rocks and upgraded to SmartGut Ultra, so hopefully that will help. She is very teeth grindy during grooming and tacking up, but she also has EPSM, so I had been thinking it was muscle sensitivity related. Now I feel bad :frowning: but hopefully she’ll be happier soon!

I should have added that I often keep my mare on a maintenance dose of omeprazole after treatments along with another preventative supplement like u-gard or smartgut. I always try to wean her off because I hate to keep her on the omeprazole all the time but have to watch closely for flare ups.

OP, please make sure you update this thread when you can offer an opinion as to whether the G.U.T. helps your horse. Can any say if G.U.T is supposed to help with hindgut ulcers?

This is very helpful. I think I will order Smartgut Ultra today.

StitchInTime any update on the G.U.T? Flyingchanges any update on how the SmartGut Ultra is working? It seems like the SmartGut Ultra just keeps getting more expensive.

I use G.U.T. on a geriatric horse with suspected mild ulcers. His appetite improved with U-Gard pellets, so we assumed he did have some ulcer pain. The G.U.T. seems to be working so far; he’s eating like a pig again and regaining weight (he’s 29 and still ridden regularly). He wasn’t treated with the expensive pastes. The vet thought his Cushings or Pergolide could be causing the ulcers.

I just ordered the 10 lb. container thru SmartPak with 15% off–a great price. Their 2 lb. size has been out of stock and I panicked because I’ve run out. Uckele also makes a pelleted version, which may be more appealing to horses (powder smells like hot cocoa mix). So far I’m happy with it but didn’t have a serious case of ulcers to begin with.

ps: I wonder if SP is increasing the price of all their supplements. I used to buy their MSM pellets, but that has gone up $5 in the past year. So for half the price I’ve switched to Select the Best pelleted MSM; probably not as good quality though.

I’ve had my horse on the G.U.T. powder for about 2 weeks. At first she was reluctant to eat it, which is surprising because it smells really good. If we get it to stick to the pellets she will eat it with no problem, if not she leaves some and finishes it with her dinner. Uckele does make a pelleted version of this supplement, but for the price you might as well buy SmartGut. I can’t comment on its effectiveness yet, she hasn’t been on it long, and we have mostly trail ridden (she’s a happy camper on the trail no matter what). I’m going to give this supplement some time and then decide if it is effective or not. I’ll try to remember to update when I decide. :slight_smile: