Unlimited access >

So I think I want to be a dog trainer

Thank you @Unfforgettable.

(I tried to google it and nothing came up - probably yet another case of google hating me.)

Attempt at humor - My little rescue mutt does not do any bird sports. We do some rally obedience. He would agree 100% that birds are bad things, very bad, very scary, evil things. The chickens look at him and he is moving away from them quickly.

Yes, this exactly. He associated finding the bird with correction so he would just pretend it wasn’t there.

“Hunting…hunting…hunting…sniiiffffff ohh…nothing to see here…just going to keep on moving…nope, no bird, not right there [gives bird the side eye]…nothing there…hunting…hunting…hunting.”

GSP trainer working with a Brittany. Different breeds need a different method; and of course all dogs are individuals. Screaming whoa at my dog did not make him learn how to whoa.

2 Likes

I’d always had hunting dogs of my own. Through a horse client, I got to meet a well known trainer who gives seminars all over the country. Since I’d already done some writing for horse publications, this trainer asked if I’d be willing to do some writing for him since he could see I had a decent way of explaining training stuff. That started a regular column in the magazine, Pointing Dog Journal…and I’ve been writing that for 20 years now, every issue. That led to other writing opportunities and people started asking me to train their gun dogs. It occurred to me that making the switch from horses to dogs would be a good thing, since a dog isn’t as likely to put me in a wheelchair, and I wasn’t getting any younger. It was an easy transition to make.

5 Likes

Hi,
Have you ever thought of becoming a vet tech? You can further specialize in behaviour/training. We do a lot of referral to vets and techs that are specialized in behaviour with patients that are anxious/fear based. I know many techs that work part time in clinic and part time as mobile based trainers. The nice thing is you would always have the security of the Technician job!

Also look into the Fear Free certification, it’s gaining traction within the veterinary community.

2 Likes

A few of my clients have protection dogs. Their trainer works with the dogs and with them regularly and it is fascinating (and a little scary) to watch. The dogs sell for about 45-50K in my area and not all dogs make the cut. I don’t know if the continued training is built into the price or additional. It is very interesting to watch them work.

You asked about COTHers who followed their passion. I did. I’m a veterinarian, been so for over 30 years. Started out in a predominantly large animal practice, working on dairies, ranches and the like. Same practice is now 100% small animal cuz we’re old and beat up! Neither of us have regretted becoming vets, nor do we plan to retire anytime soon, and so, like your father, you can follow your passion and be successful. I will say, however, that along the way, I taught at the local community college for 10 years (while also still working at the clinic) and I raised a son. The older son got, the less time I spent at the clinic (or riding for that matter) because taking him to his sports and music events was more important to both my husband and I, than me working 60 hrs/wk. Said son is off to college now, so things will change again.

So far as dog training goes, I also lead the Dog Project in our county’s 4-H program. This is an excellent way to learn how to manage groups of ill-mannered dogs and how to get whole families in on reforming their dog or dogs. While I personally have no desire to be a “dog trainer”, I have really enjoyed watching “my” kids become proficient at training their own dogs to show in obedience, agility and showmanship. Tremendously satisfying, to the point that I will continue doing it as long as my county wants me to even though ds has aged out. Btw, both ds and his friend are now 4-H judges themselves, a great way to learn to deal with the public while banking a few dollars.

4 Likes

I think that taking group lessons at a local place is a good start. Your personal dog is reactive so Id offer to take a friends and offer to pay. Find a trainer you respect and explain that you’re trying to build your skill set. Maybe even take a few loaned dogs through some intro classes and see if opportunities arise to do an unpaid assistant trainer role or to do some fill in classes. Those group classes are an easy way to start building your exposure to different breeds and identifying common challenges that you see with owners.

Simultaneously, I’d work on developing one dog into more of a niche advanced sport. If nothing else, it will expose you to more serious competitors, more experienced trainers, etc. Finding someone willing to let you do this with their dog may take some brainstorming but if you’re paying and doing pick up/drop off, it’s a gift for the right family.

One person I know did something like this. She fostered heavily while developing a personal dog in obedience and agility. She met people, earned a reputation, and then started doing free puppy sitting for a few sport breeders who needed help in a pinch. Fast forward 10 years she makes $1k/week doing in house puppy raising with 1-2 dogs at a time developing foundation skills for sport work. People fly puppies out to her and they stay 4-12 weeks.

With a reactive dog, your in home options may not be viable but sharing that this is a path some take.

Much like horses, the vast majority of your trainers are going to make $35-50/hour but if you develop a deep knowledge and set of unique skills, the hourly rate can be quite impressive.

1 Like

What is a Flattie?

Flat Coated Retriever :slight_smile:

Lovely dogs!

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

this. The dogs were the easy part (notice the past tense). The people mostly weren’t willing to do the work, and couldn’t even make time for 3 lessons. I was always glad it was a side job, and not my main income. It also broke my heart, because some of the dogs were incredibly good, nice dogs that never had a chance to reach their potential even as decent household companions.
If you really want to test your skills, try fostering. I never got the “best dog they ever had”, I always got the biter, the resource guarder, the hysterical-around-other dogs, and almost all of them came with some medical baggage. But I learned to read dogs faster than I would have during training classes, I learned to trust my own well tempered animals (esp when they said “not going near this one!”

good luck!

4 Likes

once again i encounter Scribbler’s sage advice!
Beenthere/donethat with dog owners. Ive never advertised, nor made any word of mouth attempt to take on students. But, over the years, ive (sorry apostrophe isnt working today) reluctantly agreed to help various folks train their dogs. I SUCK with people…totally suck rotten eggs. Im blunt and abrasive. But, i can train dogs and i can see and inform people. I can try to improve their timing with little exercises (knock keys off the counter and clap twice before they hit the ground for example) I can give them little phrases to put on their mirrors and doors to give constant reminders of training philosophies. (eg: Freedom is a privilege not a right / Insistancy, Consistency, Persistency) But, in the end, they are still who they are and their dogs are at the mercy of the owner’s personalities. I can show them how their very dog, in their own home (first visit is a family meeting in their home, then i always travel to their home for a few sessions interim) will do precisely what i ask without any pre-training. I demonstrate to them what CAN be done with their dog to give them the vision. I almost always cut my clients. (that is the ones who decide to try things my way and don’t quit after one -or 2- sessions. When i feel i have done all i can do unless they change something they need to, i tell them that and we end. Usually after two or three months of weekly sessions. One current client is my yoga instructor. Try as i might, i cannot shake him…he sticks to me. And he has delved deeper than any client ever has…so im good with him as long as its not too inconvenient (ie he brings his dog to yoga class and i train them before or after class). I charge 75/hr including travel time.

I do not help train other peoples USAR dogs unless i really think a lot of the dog, or of the handler. When i do take on someone to help-along, i just have them buy me a good lunch. No money changes hands. (*sticker phrase for USAR training is: Trust your Dog)

I have top credentials enough, in realworld as well as competitive events, to draw people and odd enough personality to repel them.