Unlimited access >

So, say you realize you’re over-horsed… what next?

It’s easy to have a horse you can’t ride. I see it all around me, between nervous adult beginners, beloved retired horses, lame horses, minis, and all other variety of lead and feed.

I think this is ego talking, or wounded pride. You don’t actually want this horse in particular. You want to be around horses (good) and you want to be an owner. That last is not always good. I’ve seen a number of adult beginners or reriders rush ownership in order to have My Own Little Pony, and they would have been better off taking lessons for three years and leasing.

10 Likes

Sooo… NYC Metro can mean a lot of things, but realistically, it means more money typically. So be prepared for some serious sticker shock.
Would I send horse with me? Probably not. It sounds like a bad fit. It sounded like a bad call before in earlier posts, and spending another $1500 to ship it somewhere sounds worse. Use that money to invest in training rides and consignment board to get it sold. You have a bad taste in your mouth about it. Honestly, your posts speak of you just not liking it. You’re coming here to ask advice about something you know, deep down, isn’t the right fit. It’s an ego sucker punch, but we’ve all had our fair share of bad fits or duds, so we get it. Sometimes it’s the horse. Sometimes it’s you. Sometimes it’s a combination. Regardless, you’ve learned some life lessons here and I hope you have some takeaways (i.e. don’t jump horses without a professional, particularly when you’re still figuring it out for yourself). You’ll find that most barns in the NYC Metro area will be a bit more strict about their expectations. I don’t think I ever rode anywhere in NJ where people were ok with horses jumping without a professional in the ring. Please keep that in mind regardless of your decision. At the end of the day, there are a lot of great horses out there and the longer you fight the good fight with the bad fit, the longer you wait to find your true heart horse. Good luck and best wishes… NJ and NY have some great barns and beautiful shows.

3 Likes

OP and I actually talked over on Reddit so I’m going off more information. I’m just reiterating myself here, but I think there’s going to be growing pains with any new horse and she has nothing to lose by waiting. I would just take a step back and take it slow with the mare and go back to ground work and flatwork under saddle when the trainer is there to help.

I also know that she would pay tripple for the same horse in New York and she’s not going to have issues selling it if she goes to that route. IMO the mare and OP are both a bit green but the mare actually seems like she has a great disposition for a greenie and OP has a decent enough seat FWIW.

1 Like

NYC metro area is extremely expensive. I’m not sure from where you are moving but when you think about getting a higher price in a more competitive market, you have to factor in the carry cost of keeping this horse.

Your current trainer helped you choose this horse. Can your current trainer quickly help you get it off your payroll? The market is hot right now. Horses are selling on videos. If the horse is as nice as described it could sell quickly. Money seems to be a factor here or otherwise you likely wouldn’t have bought this particular horse, so I would sell it before putting any more money into it. This sport isn’t always kind to our wallets and sometimes it’s better to cut our losses as soon as we see the issue - otherwise it will compound quickly. So much can happen on long term hauling - accident, colic, dehydration. Why take an unnecessary risk? If you do decide to move this horse, please make sure you’re insured. It’s the heat of the summer and you aren’t familiar with this horse.

As for what to do when you get to the NYC metro area - take lessons on a schoolmaster. Then transition to a half lease on a schoolmaster. Learn to perfect your seat (because your current trainer indicated that you need work there). Become a better rider. And save your money for a more suitable match in the future. I think this would be a much more enjoyable path for you!

My horse is in training in FL so I ride at a barn here at home once or twice a week. It’s been such a fun experience to ride different types of horses, to learn how to adjust my ride for each, to really listen to the feedback each horse has given me and provide an empathetic ride to each horse. It’s making me such a better rider. Some horses need a light seat, some need a driving seat, some need to warm up more before you ask them to engage (might be older, stiff, have an old injury). These are all things you can learn about in a great program, and can help you moving forward as you advance as a rider.

Find a way to truly enjoy the ride!!

4 Likes

That would be nice, but in the h/j market right now, it’s not always possible. Say you want to show in the 3’ hunters at AA shows NOW. Well, that’ll cost you a good $75,000 – if you can even find one. So I don’t mind the idea of an experienced ammy buying a green horse – if they have the right program. It means the trainer rides the horse more than the ammy, and the ammy has to be under supervision for a while.

5 Likes

I haven’t read all the responses, OP, but I have a question and a thought.

Questions: What did you buy this horse to do? Do you want/need to show right now? Did you buy it to learn to ride better? Is it suitable for the job, even if too green at the moment? Is it sound and capable?

My thought: I would not sell a $10,000 horse that could help me get my foot in the door in the NY/CT market. If that horse is sound and capable (but not fancy), I’d still keep it as a very, very useful to me. You will not be able to replace this horse anywhere near that price in the place you are moving to.

Instead, if you can stand the horsemanship goal, pick the trainer who doesn’t mind teaching you to learn to ride well enough to bring along your green horse. Make her more rideable, get to know a pro, learn to ride better yourself and then sell her for enough money to buy yourself the better one-- which might mean less green or might mean more fancy.

ETA: So reading the rest of the thread, too quickly, I guess I would ask just how green and not-a-great-horseman the OP is. I don’t mean to be mean; I just need mean to express the idea that a green horse is going to need a whole lot of empathy and well-chosen rides and handling on the ground. If you can’t/don’t want to deliver that, stop digging the hole now.

I have moved between markets (including the NY/CT one, but long ago) with- and without already owning a horse. I find it harder to figure out which trainer I’d like to work with if I don’t bring a horse and come as a client. I am well-aware that most pros would like to be able to choose the horse for me, but I have not enjoyed the experience of riding their lesson horses or even lease horses as a basis for discovering if I wanted to spend the bigger bucks it will take to buy the horse they tell me to.

I should say that I’m one of those old “good ammy” horse ladies who knows what she likes to ride and can/likes the process of bringing one along. Don’t get me wrong: I adore having a pro who is involved, doing lots of the riding and providing lots of the direction. But I can also ride a horse that’s got 30 or 60 days on it, and I like the journey.

8 Likes

Suburbs of NYC can be NY, NJ, or CT. A little more context will probably yield you some excellent recommendations for training for your current horse or lease options to find something if you sell her. Ideally the same trainer can help you evaluate this horse and make a decision, then either get her sold or get you and she on the right program together. If you truly have a sub 10k young horse that can go around in the adults or modifieds in a program, you can definitely sell her here, lots of people do local circuits and dabble in rated shows that are close by (Old Salem, Fairfield, Gardnertown, etc in the NY/CT area) and those horses are in high demand for people who want to do that.

1 Like

As someone who rode in the NYC area for years, and just moved away and had to find a new barn in an equally expensive area, one question I have is: what is the backup plan if the new barn you’ve picked (and decided to live near) doesn’t work out? It could seem perfect on paper and on the phone… but what if your horse hates their turnout schedule, or you hate the trainer’s communication style, or any of the other million things that can be a dealbreaker?

I’d call the barn you’re thinking about moving to and confirm exactly what they can provide for your mare. If you and the mare need x amount of pro rides and lessons per week, you have to find out if they can do that and you can afford it.

Then, I’d make sure you have a backup barn (or two, or three). I cannot overemphasize how expensive board & training can be around NYC, even in ‘cheaper’ areas like NJ. Start calling around and inquiring about board & training prices. Make a spreadsheet. People here and on local FB groups will have lots of recommendations.

If you adore THIS horse, and you have a couple of barns that might work, I’d leave with current trainer for a while you get settled, then move her. (Or send her to a colt starter as your trainer recommended - though I’m curious why that was recommended? Does she have major holes in her basics that the pro can ride through, but you cannot?) If it’s not working out, you can always sell her after you move with the help of your new trainer.

If you don’t love & totally click with THIS horse, but just want your own horse… I’d send her to a good sales barn or have current trainer sell her. Then, put the proceeds toward a lease at a new barn in your area. If you need a daily horse fix, I am sure there is a therapeutic riding facility or horse rescue nearby that needs extra hands. Or maybe someone on a local FB group who’d be happy to have you come groom their retirees a few times a week.

Before I moved, one of my wise friends reminded me that there are seasons in life for everything, including riding. There are times in life when riding and horses can be our #1 priority, and times when it has to take a backseat to family, career, or a big life change. It’s fine if you need to put riding on the backburner for a bit, sell this mare, and start fresh in a new location. Being overhorsed, moving, and finding a new barn are all tough, draining & sometimes discouraging. I wouldn’t want to deal with all three at once.

4 Likes

HAHA! Mine is in training in FL, too! It’s nice to see the progress, but I do wish I had the opportunity that you had to ride something at home. I may end up leasing something short term to keep me in shape.

After reading your other threads how about the following idea: 1. put greenie into sales program on east coast to get her moved stat. Also very clear contracts and don’t have to involve a bunch of feelings. Enjoy the $ in this market. 2. Bring your packer pony up with you while you settle in. Comfortable ride and don’t have to worry about her care while you are far away. I worry your pony will fall between the cracks and get overworked without your being around.

If you choose to leave your greenie behind with old trainer to be sold, GET ALL PARAMETERS IN WRITING. On contract for X months with commission of Y%. Keep in mind if this trainer fails to sell your horse then you’re still stuck with your mare and she will be out of shape/ less sellable,

Deep down I secretly hope you work it out with your greenie and really learn how to ride her. Like find that one diamond in the rough instructor who just really makes it all click for you. But you may not have time for that, that may not be what you want, etc. But please don’t leave your packer pony behind with the communication issues of your former trainer. Your pony deserves to be treated well and only you can ensure that.

8 Likes

You should! It’s been a great way to make new friends and my “home” barn family has been so much fun! I found a (VERY NICE) academy program but if you can’t find something like that, maybe even a half lease might work? I’ve enjoyed being able to ride other horses. They didn’t have IEA when I was a kid so I didn’t get this experience.

I would leave exactly ZERO horses with this trainer. Move both your guys with you and sell one when you get there. The new one might need some training rides but you might also be able to find an experienced person to part lease her. The horse market in New England is ridiculous right now and there is NOTHING available.

8 Likes

As others have mentioned, the NYC area is $$$$ when it comes to horses. I grew up there and rode in North Salem and even then it was expensive.

Every month that you keep a horse you don’t ride you’re still spending the same amount as you would to have a horse you ride.

Maybe the horse is fancy enough to sell in the NYC area right away, but how long do you want her on your payroll while you try to find her the right owner? And will you be moving her to a barn where those clients are looking? IME, and I hear the market is hot, it ALWAYS takes longer to sell than you anticipate. If you’re spending $500/month that might not be so bad, but if you’re at a barn that charges $2K and up, that’s another story.

No crystal ball here, so it’s hard to tell if you and the horse would click in the right program or whether you can find the program once you move. A friend of mine bought a horse that ended up a bit over her ability but she moved to the horse to another farm and three months later, she and the mare are doing great. But if she hadn’t found the right trainer, she probably would have sold the mare and moved on.

Good luck!

1 Like