Unlimited access >

So things aren't great with our animals (updated with new kitty Gracie)

We are not having a good start with our animals in 2022. I finally got concerned enough about DH’s cat, Visitor, to take him to the vet last week. He’d lost weight, wasn’t eating much, and just wasn’t his normal happy self. And… He is dying. His liver is failing, he has a tumor on his spleen, and his long-time heart murmur is pretty bad. We decided not to try to “save” him as there are too many things wrong. So he’s a hospice kitty now. We have a good friend who’s a hospice vet and will begin coming to the house to help us with him on the 17th, but frankly he may not live that long. He had taken to wanting to sleep next to me all night; he used to want to be with DH all the time. He’s just the best cat… I have had many cats, but none so wonderful as him. He showed up in a snowstorm in 2013, clearly not a feral, and we took him in… He is the cat who convinced DH that he really does like cats.

Then last night, the last of our pet rats died. Tailpuller, so named because when we met him he was hanging onto a bigger rat’s tail and following it around, came to us last spring. I’d taken in a 3 week old baby rat, “too nice to be snake food” according to the girl I got him from, and we got 2 friends for him, because the best toy for a rat is another rat. The first one, and one of the friends, didn’t last long, and Tailpuller was left. He was skittish, but he loved climbing up my arm to get a treat. Last night I heard a big commotion coming from his cage, and ran in just to see him have a seizure and die. At least it was quick.

Our remaining critters, little grey cat Naku and my horse Feronia, are doing well, but they are old. Naku is 21 years old - truly ancient - and other than being deaf as a post and treated for hyperthyroidism, is healthy for her age. My mare Feronia is 24, basically retired, happy enough but one of those easy keepers you worry about. I may need to move her but I have no idea where.

14 Likes

(((hugs)))

I’m very sorry for the loss of Tailpuller.

I hope Visitor has more good days than bad for as long as possible. He sounds like a sweet kitty. Give him a little pat for me.

Naku is 21… wow! I hope she and Feronia stay healthy and happy for 2022.

2 Likes

many hugs.
It really stinks when it comes down as hard as this.

3 Likes

Oh, so many hugs. :hugs: What a crappy start to 2022. I’m sorry about Tailpuller. What an amazing name. The ratties never live long. Hoping Visitor can get some comfort and peace in his remaining days. Thinking of you and DH. :heart:

3 Likes

I’m so sorry. I like ratties and Tailpuller sounds like he was a good little character.

Jingles and good vibes for Visitor. And You must be doing something very right if you have at 21 yr old kitty and grand dame horse.

Hugs.

3 Likes

I’m sorry. What lovely pets you have! We’ve had pet rats and they really have a lot of personality. It’s hard that they have such short lifespans. I had one rat that lived to be five. She was amazing. Another only lived to be three, which is closer to the standard lifespan.

It’s amazing that your cat, Naku, is 21 and Visitor has certainly lived as long as his body has allowed him to. It’s nice to enjoy the companionship of a retired horse. We have one of those, too.

You’re doing something very right by these all creatures for them to have such long, full lives. While this may all seem like a harbinger of a bad year, it may also become the year of new beginnings, when you’re ready. 2022 may be the year you look back to as when you gave shelter to a new beloved pet.

8 Likes

So many hugs for the heartache and the loss of your smallest family members <3

1 Like

So sorry for your losses! Our animals provide us with so much unconditional love it makes it that much harder to lose them.

1 Like

Hugs to you and jingles for your furry friends. :heart:

1 Like

Update: put off until tomorrow because he’s feeling a bit better and he’s eating a little.

Visitor earns his wings at 2 this afternoon. He declined significantly overnight and is hiding now.

8 Likes

So sorry. :frowning: :heart: Jingles for a quick passing and thinking of you and DH.

1 Like

Hugs. I am so sorry, it’s hard enough with one. Much less multiples.
Hope you can enjoy all the time you have with your animals. Sending love

1 Like

See above. The vet’s office says no problem if we go day by day on this.

6 Likes

So hard as our furry “loved ones” get older. I am sorry 2022 has stared out this way for you.

2 Likes

I’m sorry for your losses. I’ve been thinking about my animal situation and what I want for the future. In 2019, I had 14 animals (4 horses, 3 barn cats, 2 dogs, 5 chickens). Now I’m down to 9 after losing three chickens to a racoon attack, selling one pony, one barn cat not looking quite right one day and disappeared the next, and one old dog dying and being replaced by a puppy. I think I might be done with chickens after the last two (who will be 5 in the spring) are gone. I’ve had chickens for 15 years. One of my three horses will be 28 in April. Will I replace her when she goes or just stick with two? My two remaining barn cats, siblings to the dead one, are both about 13 years old. How much longer do they have? My oldest dog is 10. I’ve always had two at a time but should I downsize to just one when she goes? I’m not getting any younger either, and I’m taking care of them all pretty much on my own.

4 Likes

So very sorry for your losses but so very grateful that there are kind souls that the Visitors and Tailpullers can gravitate towards to find love and kindness. Godspeed to them on their journey over the bridge and may their wait be long but sweet until their reunion with their beloved humans.

6 Likes

I’m so sorry.

1 Like

The final act of love is taking their pain and making it our own. :broken_heart:

9 Likes

I am so sorry. Poor kitty. :cry:
((hugs))

Well, Visitor is hanging in there. He was much better this morning compared to yesterday. Today’s euthanasia appointment got turned into a clinical visit. He got sub-Q fluids and we have a different appetite stimulant to try.

He’s still terminal and could deteriorate at any moment, but it’s nice to have him around for a few more days.

14 Likes