Unlimited access >

So where do I get a project?

I have three that i got who were immature ( as 2,3 and 4yr old) Even the 4yr has grown since i got her Dec 1 last year! The cute little 3yr pony mare i thought would remain 12.2 is now 14h and still growing. Some of these mustangs take a long time to reach their full grown selves.

3 Likes

Growing up I knew many aged Saddlebred lesson horses. Many in their 20s to later 20s (this was the 80s when 28 yr olds weren’t common). They were retired show horses. Many lesson programs used them to jump. They were great.

As others have mentioned, their longevity will depend on how they are built. I saw the ones that were built well & lasted.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m aware
I was being a bit facetious

3 Likes

Good point! Of course genetics influence size, but ya’ never know with mustangs.

My BFF got a white and black pinto mustang from an Arizona TIP trainer. He was about 3 years old and maybe 14.3. I thought, “Well, he’ll make a cute little trail horse.” Fast forward a couple of years and he measures a solid 16-hands. He’s got a nice uphill build, too, seems to enjoy dressage, and my friend currently competes in first level on him.

4 Likes

Yeah, long back, genetics and all that. But i usually go-to being ridden at too young of an age with poor saddlery. Or bareback/bareback pad.

1 Like

???

You are saying that riding bareback or with a bareback pad is the cause for long backs to drop?

not just long backs. especially repeatedly over time and especially on young horses. yes.

1 Like

If this was the cause of lordosis and low backs then we would see this phenomenon in off the track thoroughbreds and most disciplines using quarter horses. While many of us chose not to ride young horses, starting horses under saddle at 18-24 months is deeply ingrained in many disciplines without a correlation to externally visible back issues.

3 Likes

jockeys are little people
And they ride 2-pt

And? Most riders starting young saddle seat horses are about the same size (said from personal experience). Furthermore, reiners and WP are often putting 40 lb saddles and 200+ lb riders on barely two year old horses without any widespread issues of low backs.

It’s structure and genetics not riding or the age at which they are started or the tack used.

5 Likes

so says you. i disagree.

Do they also break the laws of physics?

Because 2 point or not, the weight is up there…

11 Likes

I think @eightpondfarm is trying to make a point about weight distribution. Saddles help balance your weight more evenly on the back. I don’t think riding bareback would change the distribution so much that you could singlehandedly make your horse swayback without other contributing factors. But why this is derailing my thread about buying a project, I don’t know.

3 Likes

:rofl: As the owner of a young horse who came with lordosis as a 3yo (and not from being ridden, he’d only had two rides prior and I am certain of that) while it’s not athletically limiting except in really severe cases it IS a saddle fitting challenge you don’t want.

Do you want something that is, or is close to riding age? Like 2-4yo? Or are you considering something younger like a yearling that would be a year or two of groundwork first? If you still have something else to ride, I feel like there is a bit more wiggle room to look at younger without have a big gap of no riding.

Congenital lordosis is a known problem in some lines of saddlebred. I know IRL two that ended up as rehab projects for a young woman. She rides one of them at least them with creative shimming and says they are sound to work. But they are really freaky looking and not somethung I would take on. They were both locally bred by someone involved in the show scene, at one point, and look like they would be nice horses otherwise. I don’t think these horses had much work. They were youngish, under ten I think.

Its definitely congenital and not the effect of work.

I also know two Andusian cross mares same sire different dams who have gone saggy in their late 20s. One had an easy life, mostly pasture pet with two foals. One was schooled dressage with careful riding and not a really hard workload over her lifetime, no foals. Both a sagging in the same way but not nearly as much as the much younger saddlebreds. It’s not known as an Andalusian thing but we figure it has to be congenital.

These horses are all very different than the typical older horse or badly ridden or thin horse that has no topline.

If you are shopping saddlebreds I’d be aware of congenital lordosis just like there’s congenital DSLD in WB and other things in QH etc.

2 Likes

You mentioned you like a short-backed horse, you sure won’t get that in a saddlebred. Maybe, but they are rare. I’ve trained a number of them. They do well in dressage until about 2nd level, the collection required beyond that is difficult for them. I have a friend who got one to Grand Prix, and I have heard of others, but they are few and far between.

I’ve seen some pretty fancy mustangs if you go that route. I have had good luck with feedlot horses. Often, there’s a reason they end up there, but if you are careful and have it vetted before committing, you can find some gems.

As for auctions - depends on the auction. I just had a client purchase an Andalusian gelding from an auction. She paid $8k. So not cheap. He has turned out to be a fantastic horse, but it was most definitely a crapshoot. I wouldn’t risk it.

2 Likes

Also, regarding mustangs, there are all sorts of different body types out there. I know of one that is at least 16.2, looks to be part draft, and is currently training 4th level. The trainer found him for a client on a budget. He has a frieze brand and everything. He’s a cool horse, I watched some of his training when he was first started… he took a lot of leg.

I’ve known several PREs who ended up with saggy backs as they aged. One was a 26y/o low-level school horse, the other two were older (14-15 y/o) GP-trained stallions. When they got out of quarantine, both their backs were a little droopy. With correct work, they muscled back up and the lordosis diminished.

It’s genetics. Has nothing to do with being ridden at a young age with poor saddlery. There are genetic lines known for it, and many will drop as driven horses.

It’s a result of breeding for a very long upright neck and body that can “break in half” to produce the desired motion in front and in back. I’ve seen Hackney Ponies with it too that have never been ridden at all.

This is different than the natural lordosis that can come with age or with pregnancy, which also makes sense as ligaments loosen to account for the need for the foal to come through the birth canal.

9 Likes

Here’s one whose history I know, because I know his owner and his trainer. 100% a breeding problem as this pony has never had a saddle on his back.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/zXV4LsRsa5I04oKy0Art0q9g-E4c2Us7WQv4pRUCudstW24Ce3dlLXfJNMsnqSp1ufzrPyhx5ZmMzTQL_DLuHiBUXSyD-yChbksNhC6DnGSY3sk

4 Likes

There are actually quite a few on the path now, and I know several at 4th.

It’s true that the collection required can be difficult for them, but it’s related to croup angles not the back so much. They are built to push more and carry less. Extension is a particular strong suit. But I would say that is a problem in many modern warmbloods as well, which have been bred for the extravagance in the gaits with less sitting power. It really depends on which “type” of horse you like to work with. One that requires more work loosening and extending (look for PREs/Aztecas/QHs/Mustangs) or one that requires more work in the balance and sit (WB, TB, Saddlebreds, STB). They do IMO require different rides and different training approaches. :slight_smile:

2 Likes