Unlimited access >

Spay Costs Today?

That’s similar to the price I paid about three years ago. I have since learned about a local clinic that is strictly a spay/neuter clinic with prices that are significantly lower. I suggest googling say/neuter clinics in your area or calling a local shelter to ask if they can recommend a clinic.

My vet charges around 400-600 depending on size. Includes blood work and pain meds.

Same here. Our quote was 480 for everything (2,5 months ago). At the end we made a deal on 350 without meds. I got a list of those from the vet and ordered everything on Pet express. I consider it a very god deal.

2 years ago I got an adult female Aussie ~ 30lbs. I’m in a HCOL area. 5 nearby vets, including my regular office, quoted me $500-$900 based on age and weight. I called a well-regarded suburban practice near my barn and was quoted $210. This included pre-spay bloodwork, pain meds and followup visit. We had no issues and now that is my current pet healthcare office.

I have a giant breed and will wait for her to be fully grown and have had at least her first heat before spaying her. Her weight should be around 110lb and my vet quoted me $1100 and they are booking 4 months out due to being short staffed.

There are some places like the humane society but they are not even accepting patients right now (they charge around $300 usually).

Vet shortages are real around here. Its so expensive but I’m saving up my $$ as I worry taking her somewhere else. I can take her to a University that is about a 2hr drive away from me, but they let students do the operation and I have to keep her there overnight. A much better price at $250 but it does worry me with her being so far and for her to stay there overnight. I know shes a worrier and would not be happy. I’m considering taking her to my local vet for the higher price as I can drop her off in the AM and pick her up at night. Piece of mind for me and I think she will be much happier.

I havent made an appt for her yet as she is just over 7 months now. The breed doesnt tend to go into their first heats until around 1 year old, so I have a bit of time…

I havent had a pup for 14 years but when I had to neuter my male lab way back then, it was $800 as he was a cryptorchid. Very expensive back then but it was quite the surgery and he had a huge incision!

Good luck with your pup!

1 Like

Where are you located??

There’s a spay/nuter clinic near me (Memphis, TN) that does cats for $55 and dogs for $100. Just basic, drop off in the morning, pick up in the afternoon, no follow up or pain management. I used them for our can with no issues.

I think for $1,000, I wouldn’t spay, but that’s just me.

It can depend on the size of the dog, at least it does at my vet clinic.

I spent $ 142 total for my GSD/Anatolian to get spayed, a rabies and a dose of Simparacia Trio.

She was young though at just turning 4 months old.

Looking back our smaller dog was done older( right after we adopted her) at 6 months and her total for all the same things was $ 103.

ETA: I find both my area vet clinics to be quite affordable( as compared to some) but then we are rural. The vet office in our rural MN small town was triple that and I was thankful to find a large animal vet there who worked from his home that would take my small animals too. He was good as well.

OP I am glad you found an affordable vet. $1,000 for a spay is just ridiculous.
It’s definitely worth shopping around. I did, when I had my Std poodle spayed a few years ago.
Vet prices are all over the place, it seems …