Unlimited access >

Spiders

Those wasp thingies are tarantula hawk wasps, the New Mexico state insect.
https://www.sos.state.nm.us/about-new-mexico/state-insect/

I’ve seen one dragging a tarantula across a road, and really felt sorry for that poor spider.

2 Likes

it’s Halloween time, so here’s a pumpkin spider to show y’all *not my own photo72792_172798936064272_1388666_n

1 Like

I was offered a month off my board if I wanted to de-cobweb the BO’s barn. I had been surrounded with the tunnel webs these wolf spiders (New England) made, and was more than happy to clean house. I got a shop vac, and a loooong-A$$ extension on the vacume tube, and sucked every cobweb and presumably its makers away into oblivion. When I was done, I turned off the vacume and stood so proud of the clean, spider and cobweb free barn. Then, I slowly looked down in horror at the vacume cleaner, and realized what was in it. Hundreds, nay, thousands of spiders. Who could be crawling back out the hose as I stood there.

Horrified, I picked the shop vac up by its handle, praying the latches wouldn’t pop open, as shop vacs seem to easily do, and ran out into the driveway with it. I didn’t know what to do with it. Later, my BF said I would have poured bleach into it. But that would have required me to open the canister. I knocked on the BO’s door, and told her the barn was gorgeous but what ever was in that shop vac canister was her problem!

3 Likes