Spinal Decompression Therapy - Anyone?

I should have mine tomorrow – it’s a Teeter, the latest model. I figured, hey, I’m worth it, LOL! I’ll report on what I think once I get on it. Can’t wait to start using it!!
PennyG

I’m going to add that I always use some form of lumbar support when I’m on the Teeter- an ice pack, a gel pack, or my foam wedge designed specifically to reshape the curve in my lumbar spine. Off to use my Teeter right now!

Carpal tunnel

I work in a field known to cause carpal tunnel- been in it for 26 yrs. Had major issues at one time, numb fingers, pain. found a great therapeutic massage gal (not a fluff n buff) she worked it out, it quite often is caused by the nerve coming down from the shoulder. The symptoms mainfest in the wrist but fixing the wrists is a temp bandage. Between the chiro, massage and I just found a guy that specializes in tendon stuff- called Active Resistance Therapy (ART), I am doing great. Have him working on my ankles and hips now, my horse is going great cause I can actually move my hips! Good luck!

Now have table put together and have used it a couple of times and LOVE IT!! I can tell a difference – tight back gets loosened and pain goes away. It is going to make a big difference. Thanks all for the great feedback!!
PennyG

I am a Chiropractic Assistant and do decompressions on our patients. We follow the decompression with laser therapy. The patients who need the decom swear by it! The love being strapped it (I feel like I am girthing up a horse!) and the relief that it brings them. I would definitely consider it!

[QUOTE=Dr. Doolittle;5756139]
I just got back from my chiro, had my 9th? DTS treatment, after which he adjusted me. I have arthritis in my spine, lumbar neuropathy and some lumbar disk degeneration. I also have extremely tight lower back muscles (quadratus lumborum), and get myofasical trigger point therapy; I don’t think I have a problem with bulging disks, so can’t speak to that, but I do have chronic lower back pain, so do a LOT of stretching (in addition to the above therapies), and also use the Back To Life machine every day, which provides a more gentle traction. My chiro has gradually increased the amount and intensity of the traction for me–the more the better, in my case!–and I have found that it has started to make a difference for me. I wish I could go every week, but it’s 60 for the DTS, and then another 58 for the adjustment afterward (which really helps the total effectiveness), so doing this every other week is all I can afford. Insurance pays a whopping $18 :(, so it’s $100 a pop. (Insurance also doesn’t cover ANY of the myofascial treatments, at another $100 a pop, but she works on me for at LEAST 90 minutes each time, again, every other week.)

!#$%! insurance! :mad: (I am in very good shape, work out and stretch DAILY, eat a great diet, work very hard at my own time-consuming “therapies”, etc. Every. Day. The things that would help improve my quality of life and reduce my pain are, of course, NOT covered. Including acupuncture and neurofeedback, which is very $$, but which did help with the pain issues. GRRRRRR!)

With all of this, I am functional (broke! :lol:), but still in pain, so I made an appt. to see a physiatrist (will bring detailed notes with me about my problems from the above care givers); I’m hoping maybe injections might help me? I would be interested in hearing from others with similar issues or stories, and to the OP, yes–I’ve personally found DTS to be very helpful, I just wish I could do it every week! They start you out gradually, and it’s never painful, but it does really help separate the vertabrae and allow the disks to breathe; it’s a very gentle traction, and it is adjusted for the individual. Good luck![/QUOTE]

I will never get an adjustment again, I used decompression, ice and tens units, then went into the gym with a program to train my core muscles, and overall increase muscular strength. 20 minutes of bike, treadmill and stairmaster. I am shocked your chiro adjusted you when you are working on decompression. I will hold my tongue about what kind of idiot that takes for a doctor. In any case, that was years ago. I am having different issues now with mold poisoning, change of diet being one of them and losing weight, I am much older now, but the inflammation and pain has now become a big issue again.

I am using the Himalayan Salt (Sole) therapy to try and rebuild some lost tissue elasticity and hydrate. I drink nearly 2 - 3 liters of water a day. I was crippled by the allergies and out of panic went with oral prednisone, inhaled Advair, nasal steroid and still the frightening swelling persisted in my throat and I could not sleep because of the pred. Threw all of that away, and am now detoxing with Perque products, using Chlorella, reading some of Dr. Alexander Klinghardt’s protocol for detox for lyme, tick borne diseases in general and the various molds. I am drinking quite a bit of water, the sole therapy recommends staying away from any water with minerals in it but you do need a balanced mineral intake and I cannot afford to buy Fiji Water or really like to drink plastic bottled water. It is a damned if you do or don’t situation in that case. I just use a Pur filter on my tap and drink that for now. I also take ionized Mag supplements, Adrenal Distress Guard, Repair Guard (anti oxident which also has a natural anti inflammatory). All Perque products as well, I utilize them best so far. I also just began using Olive Leaf Extract by Barlean’s, as it is reported to be 400x the anti-oxidant capability of Noni Juice or Pomegranate or blueberries. Lots of fresh fuits (no citrus) and vegetables, no gluten, no dairy except goat, I do eat lamb and some fish and shellfish plus shrimp and oysters. You also have to be aware of your body’s ph balance, acidic is the environment in which all of the nastie’s love to live and grow.

It is working very well for me, I am beginning to feel like myself again. This was a big wake up call for me.

Right now I am working with a practioner trained by the Jones Institute, who works on the principle of strain/counter strain to relieve musculoskeletal problems since torqueing a damaged or injured muscle or joint is very dicey and outright dangerous for the most part. This practitioner is also a massage therapist (you have to be a licensed one to be trained the by JI for their protocol). They also do lymphatic flushes which is what I am working on right now.

I don’t think you are imagining the pain nor need a psychiatrist unless you just need to talk about all of the problems with your caregivers ;). You need a different method for the muscular spasms. PM me if you want more info.

Of all the non surgical treatments used to treat back pain, spinal decompression care is one popular name. Spinal decompression treatment works on the principle of reducing stress on the spinal discs. Spinal decompression treatment could help you get rid of sciatica and other types of back trouble, successfully. But, before you decide to go for it, it’s better to know about all its pros and cons.But the disadvantage is that it can take quite some time for this care to supply results.

Have you gone ahead with this? I had spinal decompression years ago and I found it to be a great help. Let me know if I can be useful to you at all!

I managed to find some good information if anyone is still looking: http://myproactivechiro.com/spinal-decompression-therapy/ . it seems to me like a pretty good thing to try before going through with a surgery.

Inversion tables are great for maintenance of the lower back but not nearly as effective as true spinal decompression therapy when you’re already in pain.

the pull/relax phases of decompression promote healing - see here:
http://biomechanicssrc.com/services/repair-damaged-parts/spinal-decompression/

I had that same disc ruptured and had surgery in 2007. I wish I had gotten surgery earlier. It was very easy and I was pain free finally. I ruptured it again in 2013.
It was one of the worse that a DR. had ever seen but I was getting along reasonably well and headed to FL for the winter with my horse. While in FL I tried decompression therapy and the place seemed unprofessional and it made me worse so I discontinued it after 3 sessions.
I had surgery scheduled for the Fall of 2014 and decided to get a cortisone shot prior. I had amazing relief. I went in for another MRI before the surgery because a recent one was required and I felt so much better I was thinking of cancelling surgery. Well the disc was remarkable better and I did not have to have surgery.

Prior to my surgery in 2007 I had also had some cortisone shots and they would make me feel better for a few years.