Unlimited access >

Spinoff: Which Blanketing Configuration is Warmer?

Ok that’s definitely better; if there wasn’t any shelter anywhere I would think I would want a change.

I’ve never used a belly band but it sounds like it would be worth trying in high wind conditions.

I was going to vote for Med + Heavy if he was turned out at night with no shelter. That being said, daytime turn out and stalled at night I would go with the Heavy + neck cover, maybe add the liner if you really want peace of mind. Even with cloud cover the daytime sun provides some relief vs nighttime equivalent temps.

Then lots and lots of lots of access to hay and I’d probably give a mash of some variety just to get some extra fluids in him :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry I missed that haha

No wind break and -29 I would do option 3. Heavy weight with a liner with neck.

Mine are in 450gm all in ones at that temp. They aren’t clipped but they don’t grow a coat because I blanket appropriately.

Over blanketing can make them cold too. I wouldn’t do a medium and heavy together.

1 Like

Good point!

A lot of horses have a hard time with ultra-cold water, and don’t drink as much as they should. A horse from warmer climes may be especially wary. I always feed three warm, soaked beet pulp meals per day. The horses enjoy it, and I worry much less about winter colic.

2 Likes

I’m in Wisconsin here and have the same situation - overnight stall, daytime turnout with no shelter or trees.

At those temps, I’d do the heavy + liner (#3) for a clipped horse or one with little hair. My barn turns out really early (like before 5 am), so we sometimes request they go out a bit later - the coldest part of the day is usually between 4-7 am. If there’s sustained wind, they will also bring them in early, especially if they run out of hay outside.

1 Like

My cold-sensitive TB - who is also clipped - is currently in a 200g stable blanket and turned out in a 400g Amigo with a hood on in -10c and below days. He has access to a shelter and a round bale in turnout. I’d for sure go with the 360g and liner with the hood.

2 Likes

My TB guy sounds exactly like yours! Slick as a seal year round. Doesn’t grow a winter coat for some unknown reason. Today, for example, our wind chills are making it feel like -25C (daytime) and I have him in a 200gm stable sheet topped with a 200gm liner inside his 100gm Amigo top shell with a hood. He’s nice and comfy in that set up when it’s really bitter. So, I would choose your option 3 for sure if I were you.

3 Likes

Well, we’ll be through the worst of this by morning… just in time to get hit with 1.5-2 feet of snow tomorrow night through Monday. Fun.

Our high actual temp today was 5°F, with sustained RealFeel of -15°F. Barn manager said he was comfortable in the 100g liner and 360g heavy with hood. Definitely wouldn’t have been warm enough in anything less.

Thanks for all the replies!

2 Likes

Reviving this old thread just because I’m having a laugh at how much things have changed in a little less than a year.

This same horse has put on 100-150lbs of weight and muscle in the last year. He’s still so fine-coated as to be nearly bald May-October, but grew enough of a winter coat this year to warrant a full hunter clip. We’re in the midst of our first real cold snap of the year. Our high today was 35 degrees with 20-30mph winds and a RealFeel of 20 degrees. He’s currently comfortable outside in my trusty 100g SP SmartTherapy Liner and a 150g turnout with hood.

We’ll see how he fares when we get sustained cold weather in January and February, but gosh we’ve come a long way from requiring nearly 600g of blankets while unclipped, just to get by in these temperatures. Hallelujah for finally acclimating in his third winter in NWNY after being bred and raised in FL. :joy:

5 Likes

How fun!

My old TB wore a full step heavier blankets last winter than my other horse but this year I’m also seeing he’s not quite so cold. He’s got a slick coat too but I think maybe it’s a bit plushier this year.

I’d only had him 6 months this time last year and he came to me not exactly blooming. Maybe his coat came in healthier being in better nutrition longer and/or he’s carrying a bit more body condition.

Maybe your horse’s 100 lbs equals 100 grams of fill :rofl:

That makes a huge difference for ability to stay warm. Huge. Glad your beast is doing well.

Deleted.
I fell victim to the bumping old threads thing :woman_facepalming:t2:

Glad he’s doing well!