Unlimited access >

Spleen Tumor

Mine was on prednisone for IBD flare ups but it wasn’t something we did after his hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. His IBD suddenly popped up when he was 10 and we did have high prednisone dosage for a week or two while we weaned him down. It did make it hard for him do make it a regular work day without having an accident. Once he was weaned down it was a non issue. I would continue to wean down to what the minimum she needs is. Turkey Tail and Yunnan Baiyao were a daily for us too. Along with changing to a “cancer” diet. Raw or homecooked chicken, liver along with low sugar veggies.

1 Like

This is almost exactly our experience with our lovely older (12) golden. He went down while out going potty, and we had to wrestle his 80 lb inert weight into the car. It was quite traumatic, but he had a really good last day (I was even out playing in the yard with him right beforehand).

1 Like

Similar story. In hindsight, our Golden was declining (one seizure, weight loss) due to the undiagnosed tumor.

My coonhound mix was diagnosed with this. He was given six weeks to three months. He was ok, but after two weeks, declined. We tried a few medicines but he could not eat and was always nauseous. I ended up putting him down. Hardest thing for me to do. My best advice is to let her live her best life and as soon as she stops eating, let her go. It is so hard.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the sharing. I lost my girl a week ago. I came home and she was outside happy as can be. We came inside and I noticed she was breathing rapidly and it concerned me. She started following me around the house with a few stumbles. I was headed to agility and packing all the dogs to go with me… so called the vet and told them I needed a sanity check. I really didn’t think it was anything but the little voice said I needed to go.

Turns out her tumor had started bleeding and she rapidly declined at the vet. I ended up not bringing her home even though they said I could try to do the bleeding protocol and have more time. I just worried that it was for me and not her and that I would be in a worse situation if I brought her home. I miss her terribly but I’m glad I caught it early enough.

Again, thanks for all the sharing.

11 Likes

the final act of love is taking their pain and making it our own. so very sorry you lost a friend. :broken_heart:

4 Likes

I’m so sorry. ((Hugs)))

I’m so sorry. Hugs and jingles to you.

these are stunningly beautiful words.

I am so sorry for your loss. This is how this condition goes ; so fast, so sudden.

1 Like

@altermetoday I’m so very sorry for your loss. I just lost my best heart dog in February and went through a lot of what you described. It’s so incredibly difficult to make the best choices for them, to know what those are in the moment. In the end, we do the very best we can for them with the information that we have.

Hugs from an internet stranger. It’s clear how much you loved her and were so thoughtful and considerate of what was best for her. I’m glad she had happy hours outside and sometimes it is a blessing when they pass quickly (even though it is hard on us).

{{{{alter me today}}}}

Susan