Unlimited access >

Sprucing up a Riding Jacket

Do you know the name? I looked a bit on FB (would love to join!) but couldn’t find the equestian page…

Ooh! That looks fun! Going to join the page myself.

You can also, if you are crafty, go with a beading approach. Easier “bling” to add to a finished piece than cording, which you have to deal with the ends, even if you don’t open any seams to add it in “proper”. Basic beading along a seam line is very easy to figure out and you can add some lovely subtle accents to things without needing much more than a running stitch and a good knot.

Of course, always use proper beading thread because you do NOT want to be flinging beads about due to busted thread while riding your canters.

1 Like

OK y’all, here is the current state of the project. Still trying to figure out what buttons I want to use, and I realized I need to shorten the sleeves (this is a “starter” project, not my permanent jacket, but trying things out on this one to see what I can do…)

1 Like

So pretty! My personal take is that the braided trim on the pockets might be a bit much. The lines of the collar without the trim are so nice and clean, and the pattern is already eye-catching and you’re going to put fancier buttons on. Either way, though, brava to you and your skills!

2 Likes

Yes, I’m not completely sure about the pockets. But I’m using it in a schooling show (and it’s a “starter” jacket :smiley:, so hopefully I make all the mistakes on this one! I’ll try it out & decide after next weekend…

Just check the rules re: patterns once you work on your final jacket. Fairly sure with the new rules they are not allowed. Checks yes, flowers no. Fun project!

My local tack store is selling show coats with this kind of collar, so I think they are ok

I don’t believe that jacket is legal either. People sell all sorts of things. I once bought a show coat that turned out to be illegal due to the enormous logo stamped into the back. It was subtle, but made the coat illegal. Glad I checked with USEF. The store was nice enough to exchange it for one that was legal.

“1.2 Coats and Jackets. A short riding jacket or cutaway coat (modified tailcoat) with short tails is permitted at any
level of competition. A tailcoat is permitted in all classes above Fourth level and in tests for FEI Juniors. Any single
color jacket or tailcoat is permitted and may have subtle pin striping, checks or tweeds. Striped or multicolored
jackets or coats are not permitted. Tasteful and discreet accents, such as a collar of a different hue, modest piping,
or crystal decorations, are acceptable. Only riders competing in Level 1 dressage competitions or in Opportunity
classes are not required to wear a riding jacket or coat. BOD 1/15/22 Effective 2/1/22”

2 Likes

I’d love to try something like this on one of my riding jackets.

I enlarged the photo, and it looks like you hand-stitched the floral collar in place with a whip stitch. Is that correct? So you… traced the original collar for a pattern and… turned/pressed under the outsides of the floral collar, pinned it in place and then hand-stitched to the old collar? :thinking:

I think it’s this part: Tasteful and discreet accents, such as a collar of a different hue,
modest piping, or crystal decorations, are acceptable.
The tack store confirmed for me that the coat they sell IS legal, but I won’t be riding in recognized shows for a while.
Also patterned/colored points are allowed on tail coats…

I did trace the collar with a seam allowance, and then used narrow fusible hem tape to turn it under (so there was a finished edge) and then whip-stitched it as neatly as possible. I did the 2 sides separately & the hardest part was getting it to line up at the center back properly, as I wanted a nice seam there…

I would send a pic to the USEF attire guru for a decision. I posted her contact info on another thread about my illegal coat. I think it’s in the Dressage forum.

Thanks! Gives me something to fritter with until my next show. Appreciate your tip about matching the seam at the back of the collar. Another reason I like that it’s not permanent, in case my effort looks godawful.

Thank you, I’m not worried about this jacket (I don’t love it, sleeves are too long & bulky, it’s an older jacket someone gave me) as I’m only wearing it in schooling shows & using it for trying things :). I’ll look up the info tho for when I get a coat I want to keep.

Right?!?. Good luck, come back and post a pic so we can see it!

yes! Joann’s has piping ready to go, I just pinned around the collar, down the front and around the sleeve openings and hand sewed. I had a navy coat, that I did with gray piping (xc colors). It looks bomb.

The collar is perfect, I’d rather see the pockets with just a narrow pipping on the edge in a blue that matches the collar. Really nice work!

I think I saw the same stuff at Joann’s: piping with a narrow flat edge on one side (?). It looked pretty amenable to my limited hand sewing talents.

:laughing: Only if the end result is worthy of public consumption!