Unlimited access >

Stallion Collection Fee - WWYD?

Regardless of what your vet thought, the semen was viable unless there was a fence jumper in the neighborhood. :wink: Iā€™d have to be pretty broke to get into a pissing match over $210.64. Iā€™d rather have the stallion owner happy to sign the breeding report so I can register the foal.

19 Likes

As someone who has both collected a lot of stallions and inseminated a lot of mares: Bottom line, you got semen that may have been less than ideal, but you used it and got a foal as a result. Pay the fee!

17 Likes

It is not what you would like to hear, but I am sticking with pay the collection fee.

You keep posting that you received non-viable semen from the first collection and that the first collection motility was better than the second. Your mare got pregnant with the second collection, semen your vet stated was lower motility than the first collection. You have a foal, pay the fee.

10 Likes

Iā€™d pay, consider it a lesson learned, and move on.

3 Likes

As a Stallion Owner, here is my two cents. If we had shipped semen from one of our stallions, and it arrived in less than stellar condition and the mare did not get pregnant, we would have not charged the Mare Owner for a second shipment. BUT, that is how we would do itā€¦and not necessarily how other Stallion Owners would do it. For us, it is a matter of keeping a stellar reputation as a Stallion Owner and making sure we keep our Mare Owners happy and make every effort to help them get a pregnancy.

If the Stallion Owner is telling the truth and the sample at their end looked fine, it is possible that customs opened the shipping container, took everything out and compromised the temperature of the semen, which in turn, may have resulted in a low motility. That being said, considering that the second shipment also arrived with poor motility, my guess is, this is how that particular stallion ships normally and they were not being truthful with their answer about the semen looking good at their end. :wink: As a Mare Owner, been there, done that before. :frowning:

That being said, as one person posted above, what one person determines to be 40% progressive motility could be another personā€™s 20%. Or, they eyeballed it at 40% motility and your vet eyeballed it at 20% progressive motility. There is a big difference between motility and progressive motility. The other issue is, when your vet assessed motility, did they first warm up the semen before evaluating? Personally, we have one stallion that, if you do not warm up the semen first before evaluating, most of it looks completely dead under the microscope. Warm it up and there are lots of swimmers. As a result, there can be a lot of variables at play when someone is trying to assess progressive motility.

The frustrating part of this situation is, ā€œ[Stallion owner] agrees to provide fresh cooled semen from [stallion] in viable condition at time of delivery to the shipping address provided on the Semen Request Formā€ā€¦but what is the definition of ā€œviable conditionā€ and who gets to determine that fact? Unfortunately, the fact that you got a pregnancy out of less than stellar semen means, it WAS in ā€œviable condition.ā€ Maybe the first shipment was also viable and there were other reasons your mare didnā€™t conceive.

You mention an industry standard of no less than 35% progressive motilityā€¦but you havenā€™t provided enough information for the semen you received that had 20% progressive motility. 20% of what? What was the volume and concentration? These numbers are also just as important as motility. For example, if you only received a total of 100 million sperm and 20% was progressively motile (a total of 20 million PM sperm), that is a very different number than receiving 1 billion sperm with 20% progressive motility (200 million PM sperm). It is also important to note that it is often a myth that fresh shipped semen will arrive with 50%+ progressive motility. Even when using CASA, which is a computerized system that precisely and accurately counts each sperm, the experts will tell you that most semen will arrive with less than 30% progressive motility and that anything in excess of 45% progressive motility would be considered stellar semen. Unfortunately, what CASA counts and what the human eye counts can be VERY different. Another important factor to note that motility does not equal fertility. A more important number for stallions is what their First Cycle Conception Rate isā€¦if the Stallion Owner is willing to be honest with you.

Lastly, it is important to read your contract. Every Stallion Owner does things differently. Some Stallion Owners do not charge for the first collection but charge for additional collections. Other Stallion Owners charge for each collection. If your contract says you are obligated to pay for each collectionā€¦and you signed the contract, you need to pay for the second collection as you agreed to the terms of the contract. I understand your argument in regards to ā€œviable conditionā€ and the principle of things, but I agree with everyone else that you got a foal out of the breeding, pay the contract, move on and simply do not use that Stallion Owner again. As an FYI, there are a lot of reputable Stallion Owners in Canada, so please donā€™t rule us all out. As you mentioned already, it is important to choose a Stallion Owner that is willing to work with you and has a great reputation. In many cases, this is more important than the stallion itself. :wink:

24 Likes

I totally get what youā€™re saying, although I probably would have clarified all of this before ordering the second batch.

At the end of the day you got a foal. I would just pay the fee and donā€™t do any badmouthing until registration of the foal is complete.

Iā€™ll reiterate that are there a number of reputable stallion owners in Canada. You just as easily could have come across the same problem with an American stallion.

6 Likes

[QUOTE=GoodTimes;n10627814]

Iā€™ll reiterate that are there a number of reputable stallion owners in Canada. You just as easily could have come across the same problem with an American stallion.
[
/QUOTE]

Agree 100%!

100% agree!

3 Likes

if youā€™re arguing about a $210 bill for collection, think of the grand scheme too everything. Is it worth jeopardizing your foals registration after all the other expenses you have paid? I understand for you this may be the principle for which you are arguing, but Iā€™d move forward as many people have suggested.

2 Likes

Iā€™d pay and move forward as well. Semen arrived, semen was viable if you got a foal

5 Likes

@Daventry
:applause::applause::applause::applause:

1 Like

Yes, but insofar as you got a live foal, that semen was, by literal definition, ā€œviable.ā€

I agree that you and they merely got lucky with your mare getting pregnant using semen that showed motility below the industry standard. But you have a foal to show for it. On what grounds will you now argue that, live foal or not, you should not pay the extra collection fee because both- or the second sample didnā€™t meet that 35% standard?

And if you need the breeder to do anything at all for you in the future, Iā€™d pay the $200.

4 Likes

Pay the fee ~ enjoy your ā€œgoalā€Ā = the foal !

Pay the fee and enjoy your foal. Just remember this if/when you breed again and use a different stallion owner.

I think youā€™re probably ā€œrightā€ to not want to pay the fee for the second collection, but being right wonā€™t get you the breeding cert.

If it were me, I would pay the outstanding balance, move on with my life and not do business with that stallion owner again. Even great motility under a microscope isnā€™t a guarantee of fertility, and 2 tries for a pregnancy is on the good end of normal.

I agree that the stallion owners lack of concern is off putting, and may not be in line with the contract as youā€™ve conveyed it. But a straight, emotion free cost benefit analysis has me paying the collection fee.

2 Likes

As a stallion owner and mare owner, Iā€™m on both sides of this equation.
Iā€™ve had a vet call me and say ā€œthe semen you sent is all dead!!ā€ā€¦ when I asked if he warmed it up, he hung up and called back later ā€œoh itā€™s ok nowā€. So, while most of us as stallion owners do our darnedest to send the best product from our lads, we canā€™t help who is on the receiving end.
As for ā€œviableā€, when it leaves here its viable with a sheet outlining the #s as via a CASA. Once itā€™s out of my hands, thereā€™s nothing I can do.
Most SOs also donā€™t do their own collections so thatā€™s $$ out of pocket.

Pay the collection as you should have in the first place.

1 Like

As a mare owner and hobby breeder - pay the fee, and simply chalk it up to a bad experience and you can choose to not deal with that farm again. Agree with everything everyone has said.

Agree with everyone else (former breeder and stallion owner). I would pay the collection fee.

The original post is from April of last year so I am guessing this has been resolved by now.

4 Likes

Agree with the others on determining motility. Without a CASA eyeball estimates vary. Super you got your foal, but I think also you need to pay the fee.