Unlimited access >

Starting a horse business! Give me ideas/input!

Or for those of us who are both long bodied and ug…gifted… in the tata department

1 Like

I want riding tops in fabrics/prints that camouflage bumps, bulges, and headlights.

3 Likes

I am picky on breeches. I want NO silicone. I want a phone pocket on each thigh. I want no other pockets.

I mean, seriously, who puts their phone in the hip or bum pocket when they ride? So why do designers think we want that?

I have some breeches that mostly work, but the phone pocket is too small (and my phone isn’t big). I have another where it is so high on the thigh that it is practically on the hip and impractical when riding. I have some that have only one thigh pocket.

I can get what I want WITH silicone easily enough. I cannot get it without.

I mean, who designs breeches with bum pockets anyway? Clearly a man who doesn’t ride.

5 Likes

lol I saw an ISO on Facebook this week from a lady looking for exactly this - breeches with real butt pockets!

I personally don’t want them but some people do, it seems!

I know several people who love those pockets, so clearly the places that design breeches with those pockets know that there are some people who like those.

1 Like

I ride with my phone in my back jeans pocket (Samsung Flip; man I love not carrying around a brick anymore). Unless your saddle’s cantle is really high, that part of your bum shouldn’t ever be making contact with the saddle.

1 Like

Depends on the shape of your butt and the cut of your breeches and where the pockets sit. I find that pockets are going to sit over the top curve of my butt and either things get crushed, or they get forced to pop out of the pocket. Or they make my pants sag and fall down.

Thin men, and women with flatter bottoms or longer waists than me, happily carrying all kinds of things in their back pockets. I’ve never used them in jeans or breeches. I do keep my barn keys in the tiny front pocket.

I don’t do well with cargo pockets either, they pull the waist down. I do best with a separate waist pouch.

2 Likes

This could be the case as I am all torso.

1 Like

Regarding the bolded above, you certainly can with Fits breeches. Pricey, but worth it IMO.

I got all hopeful for a moment there. Their website has breeches without silicone, but none with the thigh pockets that are not on the hip.

I have one pair of thermal breeches that are what I want and sit well. I have three pairs of summer riding tights, all of which are mostly good and check the boxes but don’t sit just right. I make do with them. I have also had pockets sewn onto schooling tights–not pretty, but it works.

I am open to links for any and all breeches and schooling tights that meet my requirements–thigh (not hip!) pocket and no silicone.

Have you tried riding in yoga pants? I think the only thing they are missing is belt loops.

1 Like

No reinforcement or anti-slip features on yoga pants either. They really are not the same at all.

It may depend on how grippy your saddle is, but I’ve never had a problem with slipping in yoga pants. I do like suede knee patches, but only because they are cute. Never noticed them being particularly helpful in the saddle. Also, if anything, with the way things are made today, the reinforcement angle doesn’t help much either, as the patches tend to introduce another seam that is likely to split. That’s probably not true for high-end breeches, but I feel like the patches, silicone, etc, just add features that aren’t likely to hold up well (peeling silicone :sob:), where simple yoga pants at the same price point will. But I appreciate that not everyone will want to ride in yoga pants. Just saying there are a lot more style choices out there, and it’s not as slippery as you’d think.

1 Like

Having ridden mainly in mid-high-ish end breeches (Tailored Sportsman) and sometimes accidentally in workout leggings, there really is no comparison. I almost returned a saddle I had on trial because I thought it was such an awful fit - I’d not planned on riding that day and so hopped on in gym clothes. Luckily I decided to try again in actual breeches the next day and the saddle fits me wonderfully and has me in the perfect position! Something about the leggings just threw everything off :sweat_smile:.

That said, I know a few people who like riding in leggings, so I think there is some crossover between the thinner “tights” style pants or lower priced models and workout clothes. To each their own, and if you can’t find the perfect equestrian gear I can see the next logical step being gym clothes.

1 Like

@Thames_Pirate - Horze Hoods might work - https://www.horzehoods.com/collections/leggings/products/copy-of-black-leggings-contraflex-heavyweight