Starting PT for ACL in a couple days!

I have been reading your thread. While I did not have surgery I did have pt for a dislocated patella. Had I been able to bend my knee beyond the mere 30 degrees I checked into pt with, I would have quit the whole thing after the third session. They throw a lot of new material at you in the first few weeks, and there is a lot of pain to work through. As it turns out, quitting would have been a HUGE mistake! Now 2 months post pt I have much better ROM, am getting better by the week, and have the tools to keep myself together much better than I ever did before. For the fact that I am walking at all I owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

Keep the faith and keep at the exercises. I’m with you! :slight_smile:

Why can’t any of my health professionals agree??? My doctor said I can ride, one PT said I can ride but no posting trot, and another PT said no riding period. It was in that order, so I got my hopes up and now they keep dashing them. I’m very tempted to stick with the one in the middle–ride, but keep it easy.

Other than that, PT is going well, except that anything involving landing toe-first on my broken leg results in nasty ankle pain.

My surgeon is one of those brilliant, perky guys. Made it sound like 1-2-3, it’s over and you’re on your way. Then the pt’s got into it, the details began to emerge, and the picture ended up being different than it originally sounded. Not that he’s a bad guy. Just makes the recovery sound faster than it really is.

My surgeon owns the pt unit, so they all share the files. The same should be true for you as well, regardless of whether or not your work is in-house. Before my release they had a group consult, and my marching orders were drawn up. The upshot? No riding for one year from the end of pt. Period. That puts it to the end of July 2011 for me. Evidently this also holds true for runners who have had knee surgery as well. Walking, biking (no mountain bikes), swimming, and in some cases golf are all fine in the interim.

My thought here is that while the surgeon knows the inner workings of the body part and the overall outcome, the pt’s work more closely and more often with us and have a better sense of how each of our particular bodies move, where we are in our progress and how long the actual healing will take place. Knees usually take about one year to fully heal, so they don’t want me screwing up their work. I was expecting the schedule to be no riding one year from the date of initial treatment, not one year from the date of release from pt. I was pretty bummed, but I don’t want to end up having salvage surgery, so I am abiding by their orders. When you decide to get on the horse perhaps walking without stirrups would be a good place to start?

P.S Tell the pt about the toe-first landing pain. You wouldn’t believe the number of exercises they can dream up to work around just about anything that comes up.