Unlimited access >

Stradivarius Retired

I’ve had a problem with some of Irad Ortiz’s riding but I did soften a little when I saw him crying his eyes out when he won the Belmont.

1 Like

I couldn’t take my eyes off that little filly, Alerta Roja, with her ears back and looking to put everything she had into that race. She was so much smaller than some of those horses; it looked like she took three strides for every two that the front runner made, but she dug in. She was impressive.

Are there replays available?

Are you asking me? I was referring to the Doncaster Cup video that Maythehorsebewithme posted. Alerta Roja came in second or third to Stradivarius.

The title of this thread is old, does not refer to Ascot 2022, and is therefore misleading. I started it and I think there is a way to change the title, since it has turned into an Ascot 2022 discussion. Anyone able to explain how?

NBC has all of the Royal Ascot races up on YouTube. So does World Horse Racing.

2 Likes

When you go to your thread title is there a little pen icon under the title? If, so you can click on that and edit the title.

1 Like

Thank you for posting that. I have really really missed being able to watch Royal Ascot this year just because NBC got rid of NBCSN and went with Peacock.
Hopefully the weather at Ascot will be beautiful tomorrow and I will be able to enjoy some good racing on TV. I also hope the Queen will be able to attend. Last year she was not able to get there until the Saturday.

1 Like

YouTube’s pathetic closed captioning just posted “Stradivarius” as “shred of errors.” lol

1 Like

What an amazing horse. I read his owner is determined he not become a national hunt stallion, as owner believes (and isnt he right?) the public loves distance horses. I suspect when ready he will have some really top mares waiting for him.(I gather that is basically what has happened to Yeats, getting mainly national hunt mares?)

1 Like

Yup, Yeats is the champion NH sire of 2021/22 and despite his impeccable pedigree, he stands at only €5000. He raced from 2 (unbeaten) to 8 years old (winning 7 Group 1s) and retired sound.

On the other hand, the NH scene is probably stronger in the UK than flat racing and the Irish love their jumpers. And Yeats get sells for good prices.

3 Likes

Wesley Ward leaves Royal Ascot without a winner, only the second time that’s happened since he started taking horses to that meeting.
I think his best finisher was Campanelle, 4th in the Platinum Jubilee.

I think Campanelle dead-heated for third.

Maybe he should have gotten a British rider, as Irad did not exactly distinguish himself.

1 Like

You’re correct; I only did a quick scan of results in the Racing Post and didn’t make that distinction.

I agree that Irad seemed somewhat out of his element. Ward usually has Frankie Dettori riding, but that rider had a fairly dismal Royal Ascot as well, save Inspiral. So who knows?

1 Like

Looks like Gosden has telegraphed what he thought of Dettori’s ride on Strad.

For those saying Strad has lost a step at 8, I’ll say he hasn’t but Dettori (also no spring chicken) certainly has.

My jaw was hanging watching that ride, never seen anything that absurd in my life, knowing this horse’s running style. JMHO

1 Like

I agree, in a sense I think he let the other jocks ride his horse for him. And of course, they were riding for him to lose. I thought the horse deserved an apology from him.

He is now retired

1 Like

Glad his people did the right thing.

Congratulations on an amazing career, Stradivarius!

In eight years of racing, Stradivarius never had any medications and never missed a run due to injury. He was retired because a stone bruise is taking longer to heal than usual and so his connections have decided to call time and send him off to stud. His owner is determined that the horse will not become a National Hunt stallion, which is currently the fate of most out and out stayers, as Stradivarius certainly was. His pedigree is excellent so flat breeders might be convinced but I do hope he gets some good horses in his first couple of crops.

6 Likes