Stradivarius wins again!

What a horse! What a stayer!

So wonderful to see an 8-year old entire horse still racing at the highest level. Here is the full coverage–wonderful race, wonderful reception for the horse by the crowd afterwards:

And here is a great interview with his trainer:

Edited to correct: he is 7, not 8, years old. Still marvelous.

4 Likes

No more million £ bonuses ! Stradivarius has bagged too many !

He’s an amazing example of what happens when you take care of a great horse and keep them in training.

Not a gelding, he is entire.

Clearly I thought he’s a gelding since he’s been around so long, since you never see a multiple Group 1 winning stallion around at his age, lol. Thanks!

1 Like

His owner Bjorn Nielson has no economic need to send his stallion off to stud and is someone who enjoys the sport not just the business of racing. The horse is with John Gosden who is a horseman as well as a trainer, with a topnotch team working for him, so Stradivarius is pampered by the best. Based in Newmarket, there are many options to keep the horse interested and fit on a variety of training gallops and Gosden says the horse “trains himself now”. Stradivarius has a good life and happy horses win races. It is a lovely thing to see. The crowd reaction at York showed the affection the racing public has for such a wonderful horse.

When he does go to stud I’m sure he will get some excellent mares. I hope he proves successful in his (yet to be) second career because the TB breed as a whole benefits from such a robust campaigner. Yeats comes to mind.

4 Likes

Interesting reading;

2 Likes

I think one of the reasons that Stradivarius is still running is the fast that he is a stayer, and don’t have the same breeding value as a middle distance horse. I love seeing him race though and it is so good for racing.

3 Likes

He won again. Not the strongest field, but heck, he beat who showed up.

5 Likes

He was just playing with them lol

The filly got up for 2nd.