Unlimited access >

Struggling with new horse… am I in over my head?

While it’s possible your trainer might have bamboozled you, it’s also possible your trainer got you a good deal on the mare because you’re a good home, the owner is in college, etc. I’m sure she got a commission regardless, but without knowing the person it’s hard to say that you got screwed.

Usually MORE turnout doesn’t cause a horse to be more reactive or energetic, but a feed change certainly will. And if it’s rich pasture that would make a difference as well. There are always lumps and bumps when you get a new horse, and the story you are telling is not a new one.

The bucking on the lunge makes me think she’s just full of it with the changes in her lifestyle. And she’s only 7. I’ve always found horses to become kind of a shit around 6, and then calm down again during year 7. I’d treat her like a green horse, and until she’s settling, don’t try anything challenging. Do the things she’s used to doing to get her used to the new environment. And if you hack her around a field or whatever, try to pair up with a buddy with a more experienced horse. Try to set her up for success, and as she gets more confident I think you’ll get a feeling of what she’s actually like.

3 Likes

So has your trainer watched you ride or work with this horse yet? Are you boarding at the same barn where your trainer works?

1 Like

On the saddle fit issue - “looked like it fit” is not sufficient unless you have a lot of experience with saddle fit. Why would you use a riser? That is a specific fix for a specific problem - you could make things worse if you don’t know what you are doing.

This can make a huge difference - one which you can’t assess since you don’t know the horse well. I once borrowed a saddle that looked to me like a good fit, and my horse bucked after every fence. Luckily I knew him very well - he never did that. Ever. Saddle did not fit.

I agree with others about giving the horse time to settle, having a pro ride as part of the program, and cutting her feed now that she is out full time.

But do please check saddle fit with someone experienced, and I would also be open to a vet or dentist check if other things don’t help her settle. I’ve also had a horse arrive in my barn with terrible dental work exhibit bad behavior - my dentist had me ride him bitless for a few months until his teeth were in better shape and it was night and day.

4 Likes

Lots of horses buck on the lunge when they’re fresh. Most hunter people don’t really train horses to lunge as a tool, they use it TO get the bucks out. So even some dead quiet horses will think “time to get the fizz out” when you attach the lungeline.

Also how are you asking her to change direction? Do you have one of those Y connecter things? A lot of people don’t lunge that way. When they want to change direction they stop, have the horse stop, walk the horse to them/walk to the horse, clip the lunge to the other side of the bit, and send the horse back out. So if you tried to revese with you inside the circle just turning her around, the horse may have had no clue what you were asking and reacted to being confused. I’ve seen NH types turn horses around without bringing them in first but most hunter people I know don’t do it that way. So, again, you may have been throwing yet another new thing at her on top of all the other changes in her life.

I’m also a little unsure about your level of experience, OP. It might help a little bit to know HOW green you really are. You said initially that you never really had any lessons. So if you’ve just been kind of going on intuition your whole life/learning from watching videos/just getting along on completelty made horses without having to actually learn to RIDE or TRAIN-- it’s not surprising to me that this green horse is showing a bunch of holes in YOU. It’s also ok if you don’t think it’s any of our business-- it’s just puzzling to me in trying to put together the pieces of what’s happening here because in some ways you sound like you know what you’re doing and then in others, not really. Everyone has to start somewhere, so it’s not meant to be a criticism. But what you can/should do with a new green horse is going to depend on YOUR level of skill.

Also, my goodness, you continue to throw a lot at this horse. You’ve had her just a handful of days, if I understand the chronology. She’s lunged on the line, free lunged, gone on a walking trail ride, gone through the jump chute in the round pen, been jumped in the ring, been free jumped in the ring, been ridden in a pasture (?), been hacked in the ring… all in a new place while she’s adjusting to a new rider, new handlers, new turnout situation, etc. This is not what you can expect a normal hunter horse to do over the course of a couple days. Not that hunter people NEVER do any of these things, but we don’t typically throw all this stuff at a horse one after another. So you’re really pulling the rug out from under her if she’s used to a situation where someone comes out and W/T/C in the ring 5 days a week and jumps in the ring one additional day.

Regardless, this is not a dig on you, but you need help. You keep having surprising/bad experiences with this brand new horse-- time after time after time. Where is your trainer?

20 Likes

Yep.

That’s why I asked about the OP’s level of expertise. Confidently claiming that a given horse is “dishonest,” in a scheming sort of way, seems strange in a person who’s only ridden one pony and a schoolmaster, over the course of many years, as she says in the opening post.

An experienced trainer might convincingly say such a thing, or a long-time owner who’s been riding the given horse for years. A novice rider on an unknown horse at a brand new barn . . . not so much.

Add in all the crazy crap she’s expecting this poor mare to do, and I really am at a loss.

5 Likes

It’s not a good deal no matter the actual price unless the horse works for the OP, though.

1 Like

May I ask what breed or breeds the horse is and the height of the horse; exactly? People use the term Warmblood to denote European registries and also all sorts of cross breeds. The term is often used to elicit a higher sales price. Some horse breeds are much more sensitive than others. Wondering if that may be in play here?

Also may I ask what type(s) of feed is the horse getting and what the daily amount in either quarts or pounds? Feed can effect horse behavior such as turning a normally docile horse into one that levitates.

Please be careful and stay safe.

1 Like

I want to add to the thought that you are tossing a ton at this horse very quickly.
Sure a horse leaves and goes to shows and has to perform. The thing is, at a show the horse should be performing at a level it is doing comfortably at home. You don’t go to a show and day after day after day toss new challenges at the horse and expect to come out of it with a better horse than you went in with.

You brought this horse to a new home and have gone off the deep end of tossing things at it. Oh my. No wonder it is acting like it does not trust you.

@vxf111, it only lets me like your above post once. You said so many good things there. I just wanted to say that I would have liked it several times if that was an option.

Lunging is not done the same way for everyone. Do not assume any horse knows your way.

8 Likes

Since we’re all confused, no wonder the horse is confused. If there is a horse.

OP, if you’re not legit, stop posting, because a number of very kind and experienced people have been trying to give you advice, taking a great deal of time and effort. If you ARE legit, get someone IRL to help you with this horse, ASAP. Backing her up with your index finger and trail riding is not going to do it. From what you’ve posted about your trainer, I think a second opinion might be in order.

3 Likes

^ Surprised no one mentioned this earlier! I’ve seen some horses get trained to bolt instead of change their lead – she might have been reacting because she was expecting a spur to be jabbed into her side. But as IPEsq also said, this is unrelated to the other spook-and-spin behavioral issue.

Slow down, get your trainer to ride the horse a few times and really observe how they handle the horse. IMO “get a better seat” is not really an appropriate answer if you’re participating in the trainer’s program. They’re supposed to be teaching you how to get a better seat!

6 Likes

I would just double check that the dose and method of administration is the same (was she getting injections and now maybe she’s spitting some of it out?), but sounds like you have this aspect covered.

I am giving it at the same dose and method her previous home described. However, I treat it like it’s radioactive so I could probably be more precise. I am getting more confident handling it though.

She is in a program, I got her with that understanding. One lesson, one training ride per week. I couldn’t get on my trainer’s schedule last week and we are rarely at the barn at the same time, so that’s why our communication hasn’t been ideal. If she needs more training rides, I can arrange that.

Re: everyone’s input, advice, and questions, I just want to say it’s all helpful and I appreciate it. Certainly not trying to waste anyone’s time. I gleaned a lot from all the posts ITT.

4 Likes

Hate to break it, but this isn’t a full program.

My 5 year old WB needs two pro rides minimum per week or he’ll revert to bad habits.

Increase the number of professional rides. When you ride her without the professional, keep things simple and practice only what your pro tells you to.

3 Likes

I just want to echo that your trainer’s response to you falling off (to lunge before you get on and improve your seat) is concerning to me. If I fell off three times in a week on a new horse, I don’t think my trainer would be freaking out… but we’d definitely have a pow-wow to say “Okay, we’re not off to a good start, it happens, let’s make a plan for the next few weeks.”

In your situation I’d probably try for two pro rides and two lessons per week. Even if you can only swing that for a month, it’s worth investing time and money up front to make sure this starts off well. If she came from a “big show barn,” this is probably closer to the schedule that she is used to and will give her the structure of regular pro rides, plus give you more tools in your toolbox to eventual taper down to 1 pro ride and 1 lesson a week.

14 Likes

I’d give it some time and slow down. When we got my mare in September (a very seasoned 9 year old show horse) , we imported her and she was SUPER nervous. Had never been in turn out, was freaked out just looking at the walker and very wired. It took about a month for her to settle in. We started with just flatting, no jumping, and simple exercises. I know some may frown on this but I also did some rides giving her sedivet, we wanted both me and her to have more mellow experiences. She just needed time to settle and feel like I was her person. She’s great now. I’m not saying your mare will or won’t have the same experience, but give it time. Try and keep it simple and low stress and have your trainer ride her. I also think doing basic ground work can be really helpful. Good luck!

3 Likes

I’d take a deep breath and let your mare settle in. Work with her on the ground until your trainer is available as you don’t want to have any more mishaps. I’m not a huge proponent of having a trainer at every ride, but you may want to consider front loading your pro rides and lessons for the first month to get you on the right path.

I agree with others who said you asked for a lot from your new horse. Whenever I have moved to a new barn, my horses have typically needed a week or so to really relax and act like themselves. And those horses already knew and trusted me, so our relationship wasn’t also new.

What you don’t want to do is create a situation where you’re now nervous about riding her as she will sense that fear and it will make HER nervous as well. Go back to simple things and start to create a relationship with her. Do your best to make your mare feel comfortable and relaxed.

5 Likes

When we got my daughters horse, she had tried him a few times before bringing him home. He was an easy going quiet kind of ride. Once moved, he was mostly fine but had some moments where he freaked out unexpectedly in the first couple months. He kind of bolted and my daughter could feel he was nervous. It took about 4-5 months for them to really settle in together. They moved barns again recently and no problems at all- he was ready to go right off the trailer. I feel its because my daughter knows him now (and he knows her) and he moved with a horse he knows.

3 Likes

I would be concerned with the drop shoulder and wheel–that sorta sounds like it is a successfully learned response, where she has been successful dropping people that way. That needs to be stopped, immediately, as a response. It is a good way to get hurt and also undermine any confidence you have in a horse.(And always ride with a finger in a yoke–you will be amazed how a finger can save you during a drop wheel and bolt!)
I do not have much sympathy or cut much slack for horses that repeatedly wheel.

2 Likes

That’s the way to go, imo. I marvel at how many folks seem to forget that everything is turned upside down for an import. The language (both spoken & physical) of the humans , the tastes & smells of the food and water, the weather, the terrain, the demeanor of the other horses, etc. There’s nothing familiar for him to grab onto except his work. And the way in which that is done may also be a huge adjustment. Let him seek out the comfort of the tidbids of familiarity in his work.

It’s like when I taught music for a few weeks in Russia. I speak both Russian and music. I’m as well-versed in Russian cultural norms as a non-CIA agent visitor can be. It was still, uh, very different than teaching at university level in the US. Even teaching in other English-speaking countries is a learning curve. Good lord, don’t get me started on the UK and their demi-semi-quavers. It’s a 1/32nd note, people! :rofl:

6 Likes

I agree with too much too soon. Heck, last time I moved a mare I’d already owned for several years to a new place, I gave her a good week to settle before I rode. when I brought my 4yo home (she was unbroken so no riding anyway) we spent weeks doing nothing more than grooming and working on some basic ground manners, and it was very evident when she had settled in and was starting to form some trust in me.

She’s in a new place, with new people. She needs time to settle in, learn her new routine, get to know this new person in charge of her etc. And of course the usual saddle fit etc should be checked to rule out any pain issues.

As others have said, definitely be getting trainer assistance. I’m also not a proponent of needing a trainer every ride, or 3 pro rides a week, but if you’re struggling, get the help. I’ve enlisted a pro for some training rides on the breaker to help with things I felt out of my depth on.

3 Likes