Unlimited access >

Stubborn pastern dermatitis

Chinese herbs brought us ephedra. Y’all remember that? That was DRUGS! :rofl:

3 Likes

I have a TB with this issue and I’ve tried everything! Some things work for a while or help somewhat, but I have FINALLY hit on the solution. Wash with betadine scrub (leave on for 10-15 min) then rinse. Dry thoroughly. Use Animax (Rx from vet) and rub into scabby areas. You should find that the scabs come loose and start to come off after a couple of days. You should be able to cut back on the amount of scrubbing and amount of cream you need over time.

I also like to use a Betadine scrub/shampo and then rub gently. Dry thoroughly and maybe hand graze in the sun to be sure it’s very dry, then I just keep applying Apple cider vinegar. I use your organic ACV with the “mother“ but I suspect regular old ACV would work. Or perhaps it’s the organic with the “mother“ that makes it work. As long as I keep the ACV on daily and rub it in gently, it stays away. Getting it under control when it’s really bad, is definitely more difficult. The betadine really helped me a lot initially.

Oh yes honey also works wonders!!! Watch out for the bees though, they will be after you and your horse

I tried the copper/zinc supplements to no avail. My guy gets them every Aug here in the midwest. Chlorhexadine scrub left on 15 min and twice a day SMZ’s are the only thing for him that works although the honey sounds interesting.

Thanks all for the tips. Lots to try here.

He was prescribed Animax and that seems to be helping for now, along with scrubbing with Betadine and letting it sit as was recommended. However now he has a large scab on the inside of the hind pastern that he keeps rubbing off with the opposite foot. Fetlock guards/rings hit right on the scab so they rub it too. Next thing to try will be a fllecey bell boot flipped upside down to hopefully give it time to heal.

I have also ordered the copper and zinc to add to his diet. I think a paddock/turnout change may be in his future as well. I’m starting another thread on his current issues…

I had that problem. You could try this:

https://www.hockshield.com/product/click-fetlock-shield/

Maybe try Biozide wound gel. One of my horses recently had some kind of dermatitis on his lower hind leg between the hock and fetlock. It looked like rain rot or pastern dermatitis, but in an uncommon place. I slathered Biozide on it, waited 2 days, scraped off scabs and re-applied Biozide, waited 2 more days, finished scraping off scabs and then washed the leg. Dermatitis was completely healed. For those not familiar, Biozide is basically betadine in gel form. It will kill bacteria and fungi, and the gel stays put and keeps flies off.