Unlimited access >

Studs for trail riding the eventer

Luckily, where I board is a 600 acre property with mowed trails. If dumped he would run back to the barn although if I call his name he usually runs right back to me as if to say “My bad!”.

1 Like

Interesting. I just started watching some of Lucinda Green’s XC Academy videos and “rough ground training” is a big part of her program.

1 Like

I used to event my TB who started his career as a trail horse. When we evented, he was fabulous with water and ditches . My next guy will do a lot of trail riding.

1 Like

Lack of access to and experience of variable terrain shows up in slow times xc, even at lower levels.

2 Likes

That’s why I love fox hunting. I’m not hardcore, I’ve never been “blooded” and the hunts don’t even kill anything around here, but it’s fantastic riding and great confidence building for both horse and rider. It’s also a way to access a lot of varied terrain that might otherwise be closed off.

And yes, a lot of eventing, especially on the coasts where land is a premium, is basically on the horse equivalent of golf courses. Very groomed and controlled.

5 Likes