Unlimited access >

sudden death of heart horse, what to do with ashes?

I’m so sorry for your loss. hugs

My heart horse’s ashes were returned in a leather covered wooden trunk. It’s sitting in my dining room. Odd place I suppose, it was just where we had a free corner. But for some reason I find it comforting to have them nearby. Spreading his ashes at my current place doesn’t feel right- he only lived here about a year before he passed unexpectedly. Whenever I dream about him, it’s always at my childhood farm where he and I were connected… I’ve considered spreading his ashes there, but at the same time, in every dream he is “complaining” about something- not enough hay, not being fed, hates his stall. He’s been gone 2 years and that horse is still being a PITA from beyond! :lol:

I am sorry for everyone’s losses. Just curious what does it run to have a horse cremated? Around here most get buried. I suppose there are pluses and minuses to either method.

[QUOTE=Mukluk;8389066]
I am sorry for everyone’s losses. Just curious what does it run to have a horse cremated? Around here most get buried. I suppose there are pluses and minuses to either method.[/QUOTE]

The service I used was a flat $1000 fee for pick up (24/7) and cremation. It included the ashes personally returned, a memorial certificate with a picture provided by you, a leather chest, and an engraved nameplate. They also removed and braided the tail and included it, which I was grateful for because I knew I wanted it but couldn’t bring myself to cut it off in my distraught state.

I wouldn’t spend that type of money for just any horse, but for my childhood heart horse, I didn’t even blink. I know we don’t plan on being at this property forever and I couldn’t imagine “leaving” him here, as silly as that sounds.