"Suffering Pines - The Beginning"

Carleton Phipps. Who fortunately was free for lunch. He invited her to his home since his boys were with him. Jackie had never visited Fiona’s farm in Suffering Pines before. Smaller that her Virginia expanse, the farm was nonetheless breathtaking. Old money, class, taste, and more money was evident everywhere.

Once the simple but tasteful fare had been consumed and the boys sent outdoors to play, Jackie explained the latest in a lenghtening list of odd occurances. Carleton listened thoughfully, not interupting, never dismissing as outlandish the car that continually pasted the farm, or the slashing of her tack. The kidnapping of Destiny caused him to gasp, and he was very interested in the mutilated picture of Diane Amos.

He filled her in with the little he knew about Heath (he walked up to the farm one day, looking the way he does now, and asked for a job. One of Eric’s fractious fillys took a shine to him and he’s been with him ever since. Nobody knows where he’s from) and Ruth (good kid, came with references from Virginia, but left there in a hurry though).

About Eric, Carleton was very careful to say nothing that could be taken negitively. As a competing trainer, it would be poor sportsmanship to say much of anything at all about him, other than what was known to the general public. But he did disclose his doubts about the meeting between Fiona, Erik and Diane Amos. He said candidly,
"I can’t imagine what Miss Ford would have to say to either of them. The remark I overheard meant nothing at the time. Something about “that horse and money” is all I can remember. "

Jackie pounced on the remark, “Now do you think they were talking about Destiny?” He shrugged.

“The only horse Miss Ford is really interested in right now is called “lovey” or something like it. It was a colt we bred here, nice from day one. Looked like his Momma, colorwise, but you could see English Lord in him.”

Dregging her memory, Jackie asked, “English Lord was Fiona’s stallion wasn’t he?”

“Yes,” Carleton replied. “A great one. Though his fillies were better known, his sons were good too. I think Miss Ford wanted to keep him as a stud prospect, but a friend of her’s fell in love with him as a foal and persuaded Fiona to sell him to her. We kept him here, gelded him, and sent him to the training barn as a 2 yearold.”

Jackie was puzzled, “Surely she knows where her training barn is? Why is she looking for him?”

“The friend sent a letter saying the horse was to be moved while Fiona was in Kentucky. A van came, took him away. When Miss Ford came back, she tried calling her friend and was told the friend was very ill. Soon after, we heard the woman had died and no one in the family knew where the horse was.”

Carleton poured Jackie some more iced tea and said, “I think Miss Ford wanted to buy him back out of respect for her friend. The foal meant alot to both of them. Even if he couldn’t be used as a stallion. That’s just the kind of classy lady she is.”

Perhaps it was the stronger brand of tea he used but a small, albeit dim, lightbulb was peaking through the fear-inspired fog of Jackie’s brain. “This friend, it wasn’t Madeline Evers-Oftinhead, was it? She’s the woman who left me her fortune!”

Suddenly the air was still as the ramifications shot through both their brains. “What did “Lovey” look like, Carleton?”

“I don’t remember, it was several years ago and we have a ton of bay foals every year.” He reached out for Jackie’s hand.

“Jackie, you must be very careful…”

[This message has been edited by Kryswyn (edited 08-10-2000).]

Ye gods back from the depths of beyond… Okay, I’ll try to wrap things up later today. Thank you for caring!

Destiny was actually happy for the first time in quite a few days. Sure, he’d had quite a scare with that truck, but everything was okay.

At the moment he was standing in the middle of a sandy creek bed, water up to his knees. The water was just right and much more refreshing than the stale water he’d been drinking since his capture.

The soft, fine sand felt wonderful on his sore, thrush-eaten hooves. The tall grass next to the creek looked as if it would be even better.

Destiny walked up the shallow bank to the field of grass, and lowered his head. He hadn’t had grass this good since his days as a yearling in Kentucky. As a top hunter, he was rarely turned out, and he was going to enjoy himself.

Jackie got out of bed at 6 am that morning, as the sun rose. She quickly glanced in the mirror. Her hair was a mess, her eyes bloodshot, and her face tearstained.

She grabbed a towel and headed into the bathroom for a quick shower. As she washed her hair, Dr. Thompson’s results played in her mind, as they had all morning. How could this be a different horse? What did they want with her Destiny?

Jackie had never done anything mean towards anyone. In fact, she was one of the most liked people on the circuit. Or at least she thought she was. But, Jackie was forgetting one little emotion. Jealousy.

[This message has been edited by Ben & Me (edited 08-10-2000).]

After fleeing Roessel’s farm with the horse, Diane Amos headed south on Route 29 to the planned rendezvous point.

That evening, from a cozy tenant’s cottage on a modest plantation outside of Charlottesville, Diane Amos waits impatiently on the phone for the party she’s dialed to answer.

Finally, the disembodied voice answers. “I can assume by the timing of your phone call that mistakes have been made…” It was a statement, not a question.

“Well, we’ve had some setbacks. Agent P3-7 is dead, but we’ve recovered the horse.”

“P3-7 was getting careless. He was scheduled to be eliminated. We’ve merely been spared the inconvenience. His replacement has already been briefed and is heading to the area as we speak”, said the voice.

Diane took a deep breath and continued, “We…um…uh…well, due to certain circumstances…”

The voice cut her off. “You failed to recover the equipment and documentation, didn’t you. Stupid bitch. Ever since you’ve become involved…” The voice stopped. Emotions could not be allowed to interfere with the plans. Not yet, anyways.
“Secure the horse, and await further instructions” <click>

Diane Amos felt a cold chill creep up her spine. She knew what happened when mistakes were made…

[This message has been edited by creseida (edited 08-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by creseida (edited 08-11-2000).]

On the front porch of a small farm house outside of Charlottesville, a beautiful red Maine Coon Cat sat on a table, a panting tricolor rough coated Jack Russell Terrier lay panting beneath her. Any human walking past would be forgiven for thinking that the cat was merely grooming herself, and the terrier merely plotting her next act of mischief. But the cat had paused over cleaning her toes and was reading the newspaper on the table left when their human had gone to answer the phone.

“They’re giving credit to those damn hounds” the cat complained. “WE found it first! Is it our fault Halfeyed-NoNose can’t be bothered to get up at a decent hour?”

The terrier panted, “I like hounds, I do, I like hounds.”

The cat looked through the expanded metal mesh of the table and said witheringly, “You only like hounds because they chased me once thinking I was a fox.”

“No I don’t, No I don’t. I like hounds cause they chase foxes!”

“Well this time the fool dogs made a real mess of things. How those humans will ever find out who else was there and killed that woman, I can’t begin to imagine.” The cat resumed her grooming.

The terrier rose and stretched, “You shoudda tried harder to get Mom up.”

“Meow, moi? You haven’t been debarked! You could’ve opened your yap.”

“No, no, no. Mom doesn’t want me barking at night that’s why she put in the pet door, so I could let myself out. I’m a GOOD GIRL.”

The big Coon lay down regally on the table, “Well, you may be “Good”, but good got those hounds the credit for finding the body.”

The terrier sneezed in remembrance and said, “The stink was so bad, a sharpei couldda found it.” She sighed. “I wish I could’ve rolled in it…”

At that moment, their human companion came out and reached for the paper. She was short and wirey, with eyes that had seen a lot and laughed in the face of it all. “Boy you two are sure talkative this morning.” She glanced down at the headlines. “Poor Diane, what did she get herself into this time?”

[This message has been edited by Kryswyn (edited 08-12-2000).]

But all Jackie’s attention was riveted on the unlikely pair at the bar. Seemingly oblivious to the stares of those around them, Erik and Fiona leaned their heads close together, absorbed in conversation.

Vanessa slapped the table top with an open palm; “Jackie! Didn’t you hear what we said about Erik, Strobe, and the AA rider? Aren’t you listening?” Apparently, the oddity of the pairing at the bar was lost on Vanessa and Muffy. “Of course I’m listening to you” responded Jackie. “I just don’t know anything about the AA rider, and I’ve always had a lot of respect for Strobe.” She glanced over at Savannah who had been unusually quiet and appeared to be hiding behind her beer. Was that a glint of fear she detected in Savannah’s eyes?

It was only then that she redirected her attention to Erik and Fiona and noticed the beautiful woman who had unobtrusively joined them . . .

[This message has been edited by Inverness (edited 08-08-2000).]

Heath, silent, sulking, watched Jackie school Whozit every day while Erick called commands from the side lines.

The rage in him grew until one day it engulfed him with a passion he had never felt before.

And he cursed to himself, “I can’t stand it anymore. Every day I watch her, the way she tosses her hair, the way she arches her back, the way she thrusts her buttocks in the air over the fence. And every single time she jumps, it’s like a stab in the heart. She is ALWAYS ahead of that horse. I know I could ride him better.”

No longer could Heath contain himself. When the air grew chilly and the gloaming settled upon the grounds, he returned to the barns, and brought Whozit back out for another ride.

And sure enough, he COULD ride the horse better than Jackie. Lowly groom that he was, somehow he felt close to the horse, closer than he had ever felt to another human. And the horse felt it, jumping higher and more powerfully than he ever did for Jackie.

“I should be showing this horse,” Heath hissed to himself.