Suggestions for a flymask that stays on

My houdini gets these off, too. It does take her longer to get this type off though. But they are definitely hotter than the ones that stay off their face.

Thanks for the suggestion of a different string option. I’ll try to find one of those.

I put a leather halter on fairly snuggly until mare became accustom to her fly mask

Cashel Crusader Horse Fly Mask with ears is what the two year wears that thing a prybar is need to get off

The Cashel Crusader is the one that I’ve found to be the best. There are several sizes so it’s possible to get a mask that fits well; it has ears that really protect the horse’s ears from bites; and it has an opening for the forelock that I think helps the whole mask stay on.

My experience with a couple of lycra masks is that the mesh of the ear coverings were not adequate for preventing bites.

I have a couple. I just tied them to the buckles on each side that hold the breakaway leather strap. Sadly I can’t use them as my gelding thinks they are for his enjoyment… Pieces of leather strips everywhere and my mares uncovered.

Very well made in my opinion.

1 Like

The Lycra ones are the only ones my girls will keep on in the pasture. I think they don’t move around as much and are easier to see through so they don’t see them as much of an obstruction. One of mine has a smallish head and I couldn’t find a regular mask that wouldn’t flap around that also didn’t get in her eyes. If the eye protection part touches the girls’ eyes at all they will rip them right off.

I’ve found that the humble Farnams stay on the longest. Put them on inside out (clean/new of course).

I’ve had the best luck with these. They run large–my horses that are in Standard size in other brands wear Cob in these, and OS heads wear horse. I also like the ones with two straps that are shown above, but they do get taken off. The Deluxe ones with only one large strap stay on even with the worst heathen behavior IME.

1 Like

My horse removes clothes religiously. He tolerates fly masks without ears the best. The Rambo beekeeper style and the Crusader with ears he will take off daily. If I put one under a halter, he’ll take the halter and the mask off :expressionless:

My dearly departed Norman liked the Lycra fly masks the best. I think they were comfortable for him to wear.

Heathen pony only occasionally takes his fly mask off.

1 Like

The Professionals Choice Lycra masks are by far the best option I’ve found for horses actually leaving the masks on. Probably because they are lighter/more comfortable than the older, heavier styles, so the horses rub them less. They’re also surprisingly durable, considering the material they’re made of.

Of the old style masks, the Kensington ones win for durability and fit.

The longer, Shires/Cashel/Weatherbeeta types have never stayed on longer than 10 minutes on any of the 100+ horses I’ve seen them used on. Probably because they are sized ridiculously huge. The only horses I’ve ever seen those actually fit are drafts and draft crosses.

I would wonder if the tight fitting lycra ones make them hot and sweaty in hot/ humid conditions??

They do, but less so than the other styles, surprisingly, in my experience. I always leave fly masks (of all styles) off when “feels like” temperatures are going to be in the triple digits for that reason.

1 Like

The only thing I don’t like about the Rambo ones is that it’s hard on the forelock. Any tips to help save it?

Why inside out?

1 Like

It leaves the flap of the velcro inaccessible to teeth, branches, etc. It also makes the smooth surface of the mask against the skin, instead of the raw seams against the skin.

1 Like

I haven’t had a problem with that, but maybe you could stitch on a patch of satiny material where the forelock is in contact?

That. Is a great idea!!!