Suggestions for a good thyroid doctor near 17366, PA

I’m on 100 mics of levothyroxine. I’ll have to check the dose of liothyronine. I’m due to go in again this month. I’ll ask about sustained release Cytomel. I’ll have a couple of weeks to see how switching AM and PM affects me.

Tiki, 100 mcg is a decent dose of T4. If you need Cytomel as well, I’m guessing you aren’t converting T4 to T3 well. Get copies of your labs; if your TSH is in the high-normal to high range, your T4 is normal to high, and your T3 is low-normal to low, you’re not converting.

Haven’t seen the latest levels yet, but I was:

• TSH 0.341 (0.27-4.20) mid range 2.235
  • Free T4 1.60 (0.89-1.76) mid range 1.325
  • T3 148 (60-181)mid range 121
So, my TSH is pretty low, my Free T4 is just above mid-range and my T3 is just above mid-range.

I did have my TSH spike to 15 once.

Now see, I really do have memory problems. I’m taking Cytomel 5mcg AM & PM

[QUOTE=Tiki;5676574]
Haven’t seen the latest levels yet, but I was:

• TSH 0.341 (0.27-4.20) mid range 2.235
  • Free T4 1.60 (0.89-1.76) mid range 1.325
  • T3 148 (60-181)mid range 121
So, my TSH is pretty low, my Free T4 is just above mid-range and my T3 is just above mid-range.

I did have my TSH spike to 15 once.

Now see, I really do have memory problems. I’m taking Cytomel 5mcg AM & PM[/QUOTE]

VERY interesting… from your labs, I see why your doctor is ignoring your symptoms, except for that TSH spike which is troubling. Your numbers, at first glance, seem good for feeling healthy. And it does not appear that you have a conversion issue, based on those labs. For comparison, my recent numbers are:

5/9/11
TSH: .01 (off the chart low, but we don’t worry about that)
T4: 1.1 (Range .8 -1.8)
T3: 3.2 (Range 2.3-4.3)

Then, after I started supplementing DHEA (tested low), my labs on 6/6/11 were:

TSH: .1 (off the chart low, but we don’t worry about that)
T4: .9 LOW NORMAL (Range .8 -1.8)
T3: 4.7 HIGH (Range 2.3-4.3)

Supplementing with the DHEA increased my low Testosterone and increasing both probably enhanced my utilization of T4 & T3. Therefore, we adjusted my T3 down by 10 mcg and will retest in a month.

I blood test EVERY MONTH and we are still tinkering with my meds, and probably will have to for the rest of my life. Life stresses all make a difference with our endocrine system, and our meds should not be “one size fits all.” But since I’ve gotten a doctor who will work with me and prescribe based on my symptoms, I’m back to riding 2-3 times a week and showing again, which I hadn’t done in decades! I’m 50, BTW.

But you ARE having symptoms of low thyroid, despite your numbers. Your cytomel dosage seems low. Would your doctor prescribe Armour Thyroid? It’s a more natural balance of T4 & T3. Many people with Hashipmotos’ do much better on that. My endo wouldn’t prescribe it so I fired her and found my current doc. See www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for more info on Armour. The Armour didn’t work for me because I needed more T3, but I have a friend who is doing wonderfully on it, and she was feeling really hypo on T4 only.

You might need to check out that new endo, or a GP (they’re often more open-minded), if yours can’t work outside the box (mine couldn’t). I hope you’ll keep in touch and let me/us know how you’re doing!

Oh, from now on, you might want to take your labs under the exact same conditions each time. For me it’s 10 a.m. fasting (even though they tell me I don’t have to). That way I keep things consistent so my numbers are apples to apples. Also, get copies of ALL your labs from now on and keep a file.

Sorry to be so preachy on the subject, I just want to help people feel better! Best wishes, and take care!

Actually, I do have my labs drawn under the same conditions each time. My Primary Care Practitioner, and the endo will lower my levothyroxine dose based on the lower TSH. They say I’m being overcompensated. I keep asking how they can tell when my TSH was lower than that before they started supplementing and they’ve always been around those levels. The big problem is the ANA and ATA’s are extremely high, so the endogenous hormones get picked off before they can be utilized, so I’m basically living on the exogenous hormones and the endogenous ones are playing pinball up and down but not doing me any good.

Oh boy, sounds like you’re a complicated case, too! All the more reason to find a doctor you can work with. Best wishes on that, and keep in touch! :slight_smile:

Yup, I believe I am. Will try to keep in touch. Anything any of us find out may be able to help someone else.

I’m sure I could get a referral to Dr. Fam once I retire, as I’ve already talked to TriCare about that, but while I’m on Active Duty??? HAH! Only if they can declare no providers available and send me for an outside consult, and they are NOT going to do that.

[QUOTE=Tiki;5677608]
Yup, I believe I am. Will try to keep in touch. Anything any of us find out may be able to help someone else.

I’m sure I could get a referral to Dr. Fam once I retire, as I’ve already talked to TriCare about that, but while I’m on Active Duty??? HAH! Only if they can declare no providers available and send me for an outside consult, and they are NOT going to do that.[/QUOTE]

Well that stinks! :no:

Dr. in va. beach specializing in thyroid

Can anyone recommend a good thyroid DR. in Va Beach/Hampton roads area? I’ve been feeling like crap for 2 years and am currently on levothyroxine…nothing else.
:confused:

Tiki
have they worked you up to rule out lupus? high ana and ata is very suspicious.

I do not have lupus. Not even remotely do I have lupus. I have had many diagnostic tests that when positive are pathognomic for Hashimoto’s and they have proven positive for Hashimoto’s.

Yes, it is possible to have more than one autoimmune disease at a time, but one of them is not lupus.