Unlimited access >

Sun Shirts: Brand Review

This is why I buy patterned ones…

1 Like

I had a different issue washing the Ariat Tri Factor. It was white with green color blocks down the sides. The first wash the green bled into the white and has not come out despite repeated soaks in oxygen bleach. I see they only make it in navy/red now.

My Ariat sunshirts do this too. One is navy and white and the little white dots are now stained a light blue. This one I don’t mind as much, but I bought a very light blue one, white from a distance, for showing and that holds pit stains like you would not believe. At least my coat hides it… :shushing_face:

Tide Color Catchers work really well, for next time anyone first washes boldly colored/high-contrast clothes.

I don’t have any SmartPak shirts and it sounds like your issue may be limited to them, but I found that washing any of my sunshirts according to the usual label (cold water delicate) was completely useless for getting out stains and odors. Once I switched to warm water and treated them more like the grungy items they are, no more problems.

2 Likes

This too. I also use the Nathan sports wash every few washes which helps get out the long-term odors that the tech fabrics can trap.

Agreed. I think I have another brand but I like sports wash. I only use it occasionally too- tried to use it every time when I first got it but found that it doesn’t seem to do as good of a job as regular detergent on getting dirt and stains out.

TS are the only ones I have. The fabric is so nice and soft.

Riding Warehouse has some Kastel and San Soleil on clearance for 40 bucks. I just ordered one of each to try.

1 Like

I’m also a fan of the Columbia Silver Ridge Lite shirts for riding.

I’m loving the Arista shirts more and more. Slightly heavier fabric than the Kastels, and hold their shape better. Beautiful patterns and really soft against the skin.

Well I am sad. I just got a Royal Highness shirt in a size L and it fits through the body, but is rather tight in the shoulders and sleeves. My arms aren’t wildlyl muscular for my frame, but I’ve found this in certain brands of women’s street clothes as well. The collar is kind of stiff as well, so I’m not going to bother trying the next size up. There were a couple out of stock prints in these that I really wanted, but no more. I also got another SanSoleil in a L and it fits perfectly, and the inside stitching is much more comfortable against the skin, so I guess I’ll just hold out for finding more of those on clearance.

I bought a few – mostly from “fishing” catalogues because they are cheaper than riding catalogues – but the IBKUL one is by far the coolest. It has a mesh in the underarm area, instead of the same fabric, and I swear to goodness the mesh is made up of teenie tiny little fans that pulls the heat away from your body.

So if you want sunscreen PLUS coolness, go with IBKUL. (I don’t know how it holds up over time, since I just recently bought these few to try out.)

Not necessarily a brand most horsey people would think of, but swimzip.com has zip up rash guards. I wear them on a daily basis because I burn easily. They are wonderful! I usually wear a tank under it and take it off in the shade.

1 Like

Great idea!