Unlimited access >

SunShield Shirts: Do They Actually Work?

[QUOTE=Jo;8742043]
So odd with the Kastels. The “regular” ones fit me fine in my regular size, but the “bling” ones are tighter, shorter, and have shorter arms… despite being the same size. ???[/QUOTE]

Are these the normal ones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kastel-Denmark-Signature-Sun-Shirt-Free-Gift-with-Purchase-group-3-/322151123778?var=511064632076

[QUOTE=AmmyByNature;8742067]
Are these the normal ones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kastel-Denmark-Signature-Sun-Shirt-Free-Gift-with-Purchase-group-3-/322151123778?var=511064632076[/QUOTE]

Yes, and the “free gift” is a crew neck sun shirt. At least it was in my case. Really nice–I got two Kastel Sun shirts for $30.

[QUOTE=Dewey;8742160]
Yes, and the “free gift” is a crew neck sun shirt. At least it was in my case. Really nice–I got two Kastel Sun shirts for $30.[/QUOTE]

I think the free gift varies. I got yoga tights!!! Which was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer than I expected as a freebie!

I’m about to go back and buy another! What a great deal!

Sucks that the shipping to Canada is ridiculously expensive, it makes the shirts barely below retail :frowning: Womp womp.

[QUOTE=Dewey;8742160]
Yes, and the “free gift” is a crew neck sun shirt. At least it was in my case. Really nice–I got two Kastel Sun shirts for $30.[/QUOTE]

Would this be good enough for schooling shows?

I like the Noble Outfitters… on sale for $6 at Horseloverz and great quality for the price. They have sales on them often.

https://www.horseloverz.com/english-riding-apparel-clothes/riding-shirts-tops/casual-shirts/noble-outfitters-mariah-long-sleeve-crew

I bought 3 of them and I ride in the Caribbean morning sun!
Only the white one can be a bit see through if you’re not wearing skin colour undergarmets.
I was starting to get an equestrian tan with my polos.

I just received two white Equine Couture show shirts and I think I’m sending them back :mad: completely see through and thin. And I got short sleeved sent to me instead of long sleeved. I don’t even live in the US so I’m trying to decide if I want to foot the bill to return them or not.

I was also wondering if I could use a regular long sleeved white or coloured shirt for schooling shows. Not a sun shirt or any special equestrian branded thing.

I wore the Kastel polo to a schooling show last month and it was perfect we were in a covered arena but these shirts make all the difference I’m converted. I am always forgetting sunscreen so these make my life much easier and I can just tan at the pool instead of burning half of my arms off a couple times a week. I think the Kastel brand is my favorite I have two other brands one is tuff rider and I can’t remember the other but both are heavier and probably are better suited for September/ October. I got mine from the ebay clearances as well thanks to a bomb online shopping friend and have been very happy since.

[QUOTE=vxf111;8742179]
I think the free gift varies. I got yoga tights!!! Which was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer than I expected as a freebie![/QUOTE]

I think I bought six that were supposed to have a free gift. Only two came with the gift and it was the dress. It’s the most ridiculous thing ever. It’s fine as a nightgown, but I can’t imagine anyone actually wearing it in public. :smiley:

FWIW: I find the shirts are a lot cooler than a polo, mostly because polo fabric is so much thicker. My first venture into a sunshirt was at a clinic were we were standing in the sun for 2+ hours. I was so hot and sensitive after the first day that I bought an Ariat Sunstopper from the vendor there an dI haven’t looked back. It made the next three days of the clinic bareable…

[QUOTE=RugBug;8742372]
I think I bought six that were supposed to have a free gift. Only two came with the gift and it was the dress. It’s the most ridiculous thing ever. It’s fine as a nightgown, but I can’t imagine anyone actually wearing it in public. :D[/QUOTE]

I maaaaaaybe just bought four. Here’s hoping that they all come with free gifts, and that none of those gifts are weird nightgown-dresses!

[QUOTE=RugBug;8742372]
I think I bought six that were supposed to have a free gift. Only two came with the gift and it was the dress. It’s the most ridiculous thing ever. It’s fine as a nightgown, but I can’t imagine anyone actually wearing it in public. :smiley:

FWIW: I find the shirts are a lot cooler than a polo, mostly because polo fabric is so much thicker. My first venture into a sunshirt was at a clinic were we were standing in the sun for 2+ hours. I was so hot and sensitive after the first day that I bought an Ariat Sunstopper from the vendor there an dI haven’t looked back. It made the next three days of the clinic bareable…[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I don’t know what they were thinking on the dress. Who needs/wants a DRESS made of that fabric? Maybe for tennis? But it’s a bodycon dress and not fitted like a tennis dress?!

I love the crew neck sun shirt! I’ve also received two pairs of yoga pants that make me chuckle with their mesh down the side :lol: The dress…I sold it :lol: I could not work that into any wardrobe :lol:

Has anyone tried duluth trading co Armachillo?
http://women.duluthtrading.com/store/womens/work-clothes/wm-armachillo/shirts-hats.aspx?feature=WM-Lsummer16-2-armachillo

Thank you guys so much! I think I’m going to invest in some of those Kastel Denmark shirts from eBay too - such a great deal!! To update y’all, I received my SunShield shirt the other day and I love it! The fabric did as advertised and kept me dry and cool while looking awesome! That’s a feat in this sticky Georgia heat! I absolutely recommend it if you are looking for a sun shirt and are ordering Smartpaks anyway!

[QUOTE=hunterjumper98;8745127]
Thank you guys so much! I think I’m going to invest in some of those Kastel Denmark shirts from eBay too - such a great deal!! To update y’all, I received my SunShield shirt the other day and I love it! The fabric did as advertised and kept me dry and cool while looking awesome! That’s a feat in this sticky Georgia heat! I absolutely recommend it if you are looking for a sun shirt and are ordering Smartpaks anyway![/QUOTE]

I ordered a couple of the eBay ones on Monday based on this thread and was very pleasantly surprised to have them show up in my mailbox today. Reno to Detroit in 2 days for $7 shipping??!?! Color me impressed. FWIW, I got two crew neck sunshirts as the freebie. And I ordered up a size, but probably did not need to.

I bought two (sized up) and then after seeing another comment bought two in my regular size. They’re listed as “out for delivery” right now so I should see them tonight. can’t wait to see what my free gift is!!!

(And then probably go and buy like 4 more…)

I adore the Under Armour sun shirts for under my XC vest and for long rides. They are a lifesaver for me

I ordered my Kastel shirt on Monday and it got here today…very impressed with the shipping. Unfortunately, I got the dress as my free gift. :frowning: I’m wondering if there is some possible way to make it resemble a shirt…it might be too long, but I’m thinking if I tuck and scrunch just right, maybe?

Signs that a dress is too tight and/or short: You can discuss the possibility of making it into a shirt.

[QUOTE=snowrider;8741331]
I find the best thing is a loose light weave cotton blend white or very light colored button up shirt. I soak it in water and wring it out and wear it over a sports bra or other minimal shirt. Years of living in CA and working outside and a lot of time spent in the Caribbean and that’s my recommendation. It’s a very common garment in hotter countries and a lot of older dressage trainers wear them in CA, which is where I got the idea. Good sun protection too.

Nothing cools you down like wet or damp cotton, imho.[/QUOTE]

I have some button-up sunshirts from Ex Officio and those also work very well wet. The fabric doesn’t absorb water like cotton does, so they dry faster, but they do a nice job of being loose fitting and cooling in this situation, better IMHO than cotton.

Those shirts are more like a dress shirt, and they’re nicer for situations where you don’t know what the weather will be like or when something clingy won’t do. Also, they have pockets.

The stretchy ones can be very effective for sun-shirting too. Having something snug against your arms may or may not feel great. And if you’re feeling on the bulgy side, buy that kind big.

Some are opaque and some are more see through. There is a wide range. I recommend getting one shirt from a brand and trying it and then buying more if you like them. I am finding a range is good for different situations.

I use a cheap/ugly one for a dust and slobber cover when I am going outside and doing chores during the summer.