Unlimited access >

Synthetic, all purpose...the saddle horror!

You can always try. My observation is that wintecs have big poofy panels that can look large on a smaller horse. Also the panels can’t be opened up and restuffed like a leather saddle. I still think you will do better with a quality secondhand saddle.

I also see that this horse has poor topline and a prominent backbone. Do you think she will develop muscle over time or is this just her? You might consider half pads with shims to fill in those hollows to help with saddle fit.

Edited to add that I just noticed you said back sore. I would really try to get on top of that with body work, lateral gymnastics on the ground and checking her nutrition levels including magnesium and protein. I would also not ride until her back issues are resolved. If they don’t resolve with massage and no riding, then you need to look at hoof angles and if that doesn’t fix it, start on rads and diagnostics with vet. Also let the horse get plenty of turnout and rolling.

What I’m seeing as poor topline could be the back clamped down agsinst pain.

2 Likes

You could try a Wintec but they are generally better suited to a flatter back than your horse’s (where there is little curve behind the withers along the top of the back) and I suspect you might have bridging issues with a Wintec because of this. I would consider something with upswept panels at the back and a curvier “banana” tree, as your horse also looks rather short-coupled.

I also think most British made saddles may be too flat of a tree shape with panels that are too large/long for your horse’s back, based off your photos.

If you are working with a budget, Stubben might be a decent option.

My mare’s back is similar to this, and she goes very nicely in a regular Wintec AP with the extra-wide gullet. I’ve tried the Wintec Wide AP, but it was too wide for my hips. The regular one with the extra-wide gullet works well for both of us. She moves out well in it, and there’s none of the short-stepping, refusing to move forward that she displays if the saddle is too narrow for her.

1 Like

Hmm that’s interesting since the only brands my saddle fitter recommended to me are British brands. I did reach out to Hastilow with my tracings and they said my mare’s build is in between their regular S-Bar models and their R-Bar models which are for flat backed cobs. I guess I can do a trial but I’m not sure it sounds promising.

My current jump saddle is a Stubben and I love it but the gullet and channel are too narrow. I’ve looked around a bit but I can’t find one wider than 32cm.

My wide and curvy, short backed horse with a small wither goes in a Prestige in a 35.5 cm with a panel designed for trapezius relief. Perhaps it is the photos that are making your horse’s top line look curvier from front to back than it really is.

I have an Albion and a winter pro contourbloc. Love both, and if I expect any shenanigans, it’s the wintec with its noslip grip :joy::joy:🤷🤷

1 Like

Just needed somewhere to vent about this Thorowgood saddle that’s supposed to fit flat backed horses. Sigh.

I also ordered a second hand Kent & Masters that looked promising but I’m not sure if they even sent it.