Unlimited access >

Synthetic or Cheaper Leather? What is the better saddle choice?

Baloney. I’d guess she just makes a lot more money off selling Allegany saddles than any of the synthetic brands. If she sells you an Allegany saddle, she can charge for the saddle fitting (10 templates, lots of photos…). A name brand (Wintec, Abetta…) synthetic saddle would yield much lower profits for her.

Is an Allegany saddle nicer? Sure. And the cost is correspondingly higher. Used ones on their web site are all priced at over $1000 with many over $2000. Used.

Are synthetics made with a cheaper tree? Well, sure. That’s a given. You can’t make a $300 saddle with an expensive tree. So, sure, they’re not typically going to be as “sturdy” as an expensive, well-made wooden tree.

“Upper weight limit” is a slippery concept to define and would be a function of many factors, but saying that a synthetic western saddle has an upper weight limit of under 140 lbs. is an untruth.

4 Likes

Oh, definitely have a look at the Fabtron Cross Trails.https://shop.fabtron.com/products/cross-trail-saddle I have also had the Lady Trail and the Cross Trail is more comfy. It’s also heavier, because it’s all leather, but still only about 22 lbs. And the underside has panels, like an english saddle. My horse loves it.
It only comes in FQH bars, but my little fellow measured semi QH bars and it fits him fine. You can always pad up.
Don’t worry about the tree supporting your weight. It’s Ralide! Tougher than wood.

I have an Allegany saddle. It’s a very nice, well made, light weight saddle. Got it for a steal. However. there’s no discernable “durability” question between it and a Fabtron. When I tire of hoisting my heavy leather saddles (rocking r) i would be happy to get a Fabtron.

I’ve got an Abetta I like. Works well for my horse & me. Ralide trees are actually very strong, but they don’t hold nails well - which is why you wouldn’t want to rope with one.

yeah that would be a wreck lol

1 Like

Do the Fabtrons come in wide? I’m looking to replace my heavy Tucker High Plains with something lighter for a Halflinger.

That’s not actually true and is verging on slander. She offers Allegany as a lightweight option but she sells a whole range, new and second hand, of USA made western saddles.

Have you seen a stripped saddle? The tree of a synthetic is not the same as a tree in a well made traditional leather saddle.

Synthetics definitely do not appear as stable/rigid as (well made, not cheap junk) leather saddles. I’ve seen many riders well over 140lbs ride in them and it’s not pretty.

The weight of leather western saddles is definitely a concern for many people and well made western saddles (& good pads) are expensive but the horse’s well being and comfort should always be the top priority,

I did get the Fabtron Lady Trail (not the Supreme which was $300 more). It is really nice and pretty light for the size (17"). It weighs 22 lbs. it says and it seems to be correct. I couldn’t find a decent condition one used so bit the bullet and got a new one. I’m pretty pleased with it.

3 Likes

Oh good! I do think they are good saddles.

1 Like

I’ve ridden my Abetta while 185 lbs and currently at 150 lbs. Not a problem for my horse. A Ralide tree may be stronger for the non-roper types than a wood one. They are plenty stiff and strong enough. If it can hold this TRUCK, it can hold me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6qcukt5gTI

1 Like