Unlimited access >

Taking the threadjack where it belongs - Haas brush thread

Since I my hands cramp up using the oval brushes, I like the looks of this one and might have to splurge :slight_smile:

I also need to replace my jelly scrubber which is falling apart. My mare loves it on her summer coat and her legs. She HATES any kind of “dandy” (hard) brush.

Right now all I am using on her is a shedding blade (teeth side) to knock off the caked mud, and a soft brush to clean (and hoof pick of course). I use the shedding blade to scrape the brush clean while I groom her. It works for her (Tb, decent winter coat, unclipped).

I actually don’t like to have many grooming utensils. I have a small grooming bag with pockets that I keep on my horse’s stall door, and I like to keep its content to a minimum.

I ordered three brushes today! I decided on the Parcour, the Grundy, and the Amazone. I’ll update you and let you know Miss Sensitive’s opinion of them. :grin:

3 Likes

I have the Fellburste Noir - its a good finishing/soft brush. It is great for a quick dust removal off of a short or clipped coat.

2 Likes

I have been watching these brushes for a while. I’m kind of obsessed with grooming and wouldn’t mind a few new tools. I just get so overwhelmed with all the different ones that I haven’t been able to make a decision on which ones I’d like to try!

If anyone wants to make suggestions… horse is dark bay, unclipped but has a smooth / short coat. Not overly sensitive to brushes.

Lol peer pressure!!! I splurged my Xmas money from my mom and ordered the Haas set for greys (Schimmel, Military, Cavaliere, & Gloss). Can’t wait to report back!

2 Likes

here is a really helpful guide:
https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/lc/buying_guides/horse_care/horse_grooming_haas_brush_guide.html

My favorites on my bay OTTB are:

Grundy’s Parcour, Pinto, Gloss soft and the Noir. If you only buy one Haas brush, start with the Grundy’s finest - its the best if your horse just has some shavings and dirt to knock off. It also is one of their more affordable brushes, but I reach for it first every time!

1 Like

That’s why I threw up my hands and just bought the ones that Eqclusive has in the bay horse pack. Once I read through and saw that one brush was designed to get schmutz out from the under coat and one for the top coat, I figured they would serve my double-coated fellow just fine.

I had a dark bay horse who would get super plush in the winter- a dense, smooth short coat that felt like a teddy bear. Is yours like that? If so, from my set, if you want a “starter pack” I would recommend the Parcour, Cavalier, and some kind of finishing brush- I quite like the short bristles in the Coat Gloss but there’s discussion of two longer-bristled finishing brushes upthread. I also think that all horses deserve a Diva brush. I wish I had had one when I was grooming my sister’s late TB, who yearned to be groomed but was terribly ticklish and had a difficult time reconciling these two things.

1 Like

Thanks!!

Thanks so much!!!

Yes the plushy feel in the winter.

I’ll check those out!

If you’re looking for an inexpensive, soft, narrow, rectangular horse hair brush - look at shoe shine brushes. There are many choices on Amazon for less than $15. My old sensitive warmblood loved them.

2 Likes

I received two of my Haas brushes today (the Amazone is backordered). Tried them on the girl. She warmed up to them very quickly! Not completely happy (I don’t think that will ever happen with this mare in regards to grooming), but she was definitely not as bothered by being brushed as she normally is. And, boy, are they nice! They fit my hands perfectly! (Does that mean I have man hands???) I can see why everyone loves the Grundy brush! I already prefer it after only one use!

2 Likes

Just an update: You all have created a monster. In a very short period of time, I have become a Haas brush addict.

I love to groom my horse now. I look for excuses to groom her. We don’t fight much these days. She merely “suggests” she’d rather have a bit lighter touch here, more finesse there. I tell her what a good girl she is, how refined of a lady she is becoming. We giggle conspiratorially under our breath at the poor folks still carrying on in ignorance without Haas enlightenment. “We’re trying to tell them,” we shrug. “What more can we do?”

Two more brushes and a curry enroute as I type. Has anyone gone broke from Haas addiction???

13 Likes

I don’t have any yet, but this post just may have convinced me to take the leap!

2 Likes

I was about to post this same thought. All my life I had blah brushes and now grooming is such a different experience for ME and my horses. Hmmmm makes me realize there WERE a couple others I was curious about…

2 Likes

Thinking someone should add to the thread about “What do you need to know in buying your first horse”. Shouldn’t they get it right…from the beginning and use Haas brushes??? :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Teehee I did the same but for black / bay. Maybe we should start an Ontario distribution network :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m in! But I’m still waiting impatiently for mine to arrive… :sob:

1 Like

I got an email saying they wouldn’t ship until February

My Amazone arrived today! Yay! It’s stiffer than the Parcour, but the beast-ette tolerated it quite well considering who she is and how much she hates grooming. Only one or two tail swishes. Amazing!

Oh, and I used the curry (which arrived Monday) and was surprised that she actually acted like she liked it along her top line and the top of her neck. I even got a little nose wiggle out of her, as if another horse were scratching her back. That was pretty shocking. She did not care for it on her sides, but I expected as much.

1 Like

Haas magic.

A few minutes work with the Schimmel

Completed him with Schimmel, this is half way through with the follow up Military

Then finally the Diva

At one time the Teflon pony was white because he didn’t lay down, now it’s down to Haas!

9 Likes