Unlimited access >

Talk me out of buying a project... UPDATE: Project staying. Need show name recs!

I was going to say if husband married a rider, he should be aware of the terms and conditions already, lol.

Like Gesaffelstein said, if you buy the horse you’ll probably get pregnant.

3 Likes

Absolutely get the horse! No one knows what the future holds. If you really like him that much, it could be a pleasant distraction for you.

And as others already said, probably a good way to guarantee you’ll get pregnant!

3 Likes

OP, are you overthinking? :slight_smile:

Project or no project, children or no children, we all have to actively, consciously craft our own lives, at least to some extent. If you get pregnant, you’ll figure out a way to make it all work. If you don’t get pregnant, you’ll figure out a way to make that work. You have financial security and time, so i don’t see a downside to the project horse. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Honestly, even you got pregnant tomorrow, is another 12 months or whatever off going to hurt this horse?
(assuming you’ve got somewhere to put him)
A longer break; a chance to fully let down, learn how to horse and potentially grow a bit would probably do him the world of good if you found yourself unable to ride him. Also give you a chance to get to know him a bit.

1 Like

I think if you are comfortable with the financial loss.
”‹l just had at OTTB project who turned out to only be trail sound. That was a lot of vet bills I could have avoided. If you can weather the worst case scenario, then I say go for it.

1 Like

I did it. Not the horse that prompted this post, but a super super cute paint coming on three. Dead quiet. Fancy. Comes home Friday!

8 Likes

Pics or it didn’t happen!

1 Like

Pictures or it didn’t happen :grin:

ETA posted at the same time! Funny, I don’t usually say that phrase either.

1 Like

Pics for sure coming once she’s tucked in nice and cozy in her new stall :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good for you !!

Chatted with her breeder yesterday. He was over the moon happy to hear from me. Sent me pictures of dam and sire. Told me she’s been moved around a lot (people trying to “flip” her and make a quick buck), and was so happy to hear she has finally hit a soft landing. At one point in her moving around he had tried to buy her back, missed out, and then lost track of where she went. Mom, dad, and half siblings are BEEFY.

Just warms my heart to chat with a breeder so invested in his babies. Pictures coming soon! I got half way through bathing yesterday trying to get the mud off of her. We hit a point where she was getting overwhelmed, so we ended on a good note and I will get the other half later this week. I will post a picture once she’s cleaned up fully and can give her a bit of a haircut.

5 Likes

Congrats! I can’t wait to see her.

Just wanted to post an update on my project….

Was I ever happy I had a trainer to put 3 months on her. Horse was possibly drugged…… or hungry. Once she was put on high quality hay and grain she turned OPINIONATED! Had a not so small rearing problem. Spent about a month worrying I made a terrible choice……

And in the end, I’ve ended up with this paint who’s won my heart. With my first horse it took well over a year to click. This mare has won me over in half the time. She has no spook or shenanigans, and once she got over her baby moments (which only took a couple months with a pro taking it slow) I have a quiet, kind, sweetheart who meets me at the gate every time. Yesterday we went cantering in the hay field and walked back to the barn on the buckle, no big deal.

When I originally bought her I was under the assumption I’d eventually sell her. Now I couldn’t even bear the thought of her leaving.

I’m beyond happy with my decision to purchase a second horse.

19 Likes

What a beautiful update! I’m glad things are working out so well for you both!

Well, my project has turned into a forever keeper.

It’s time to start thinking of show names. Before the end of summer my plan is to get her out in a hack division at a schooling show. Long term goal is for her to cart around my friends kiddo in a short stirrup type division in a couple years. She’s between 14.3/15hh at 4.

Barn name is Daisy. Her apha papers have her as “Maxed Out Impulse”, which is NOT what she’ll show as, haha. I’m half debating on sneaking “impulse” in there as she was a bit of an impulsive buy. Looking for recommendations that a kid wouldn’t mind showing under in a few years.

Thanks all!

11 Likes

Yes.