Unlimited access >

TB bloodlines for dressage?

3 Likes

AP Indy will usually get the uphill front end you need for dressage (and a good brain). Bernardini, Flatter, Congrats, Pulpit, Honor Code, etc all can make a good sport horse.

Cormorant made lovely movers, most often found in modern pedigrees through Go For Gin, and thusly Albert The Great. I have a super nice Albert The Great broodmare who is an exceptional mover and produces such. Her 2022 filly by Saketini has already been sold to a dressage rider.

Giants Causeway (and other SCs) can get suspension and reach, but may be a little hot or quirky, and some can be too strong behind (overpowering the front end).

Pioneerof The Nile (Am Pharoah, Cairo Prince, others) may not always be the most uphill (but many are), but they tend to be laid back, quiet, people pleasers.

I also love Union Rags and Awesome Again. Big shoulders, good balance, classy and attractive movers.

MD’O makes a very nice athletic type, often good movers too, but some might be more of a Pro ride and less ammy friendly.

For dressage, I tend to stay away from Indian Charlie, City Zip, Speightstown, War Front
 many of these offspring are athletic, but big-butt sprinter types possibly with low shoulder and less inclined to be leggy, lofty, and big striding under themselves. Of course the WHOLE pedigree matters, and certainly the individual in front of you most of all.

6 Likes

That rider earned her Gold on a TB. Really no small feat.

I love hearing her Tee updates. She also has another very promising prospect in the wings, Petrol - who is an incredible mover and I imagine will do great things.

2 Likes

I have an Honor Code, and she’s hunter but a nice mover. She’s got War Front on the dam side, and it shows in the humongous hip she has.

I know an Awesome Again and she’s a little sharp but VERY balanced and looks to be a good jumper.

I owned a Pulpit who was very quirky but brave all day long.

1 Like

I randomly realized that Union Rags and Sea Accounts come from the same mare line!

1 Like

My boy is by More Than Ready out of a Giant’s Causeway mare. The first thing I liked about him was his confirmation. He is put together so nicely and uphill. He really caught my eye when I saw his posting.

The stronger he gets, the better his trot has gotten. Of course he has a great canter an judges love his right lead the best. He usually scores 8-8.5 for his canter work. At the walk the only issue is he gets behind my leg otherwise he has a great walk.

We will be showing 2nd level this year. Last year was his first year of showing and he did great at first level. I have some issues with his confidence in the ring at shows so hopefully that is fixed now😉

4 years old 2019 (pc: New Vocations)

6 years old 9/2021

16 Likes

I look for Giant’s Causeway for the jump, but they are also usually big, substantial horses that would be suitable for dressage. I’ve got three in my program, and they are very similar types. The dressage people generally compliment mine; particularly his canter. He does work more strongly behind than in front as mentioned above.

3 Likes

Anything with Silver Deputy , War Deputy, Deputy minister is going to float and have brains imo. Read the footnotes and cactus ridge are good names too :slight_smile:

I adopted this guy today! Thoughts on his breeding? Twirling Candy out of Broken Vow dam. I LOFF him!

https://www.pedigreequery.com/nice+not+nice

1 Like

Yay! Congrats! Classy stakes horse!

I was a microshare holder in a Twirling Candy son who just retired and he seemed like a super cool horse. And you can’t go wrong with Broken Vow!

1 Like

I’ve not met an In Reality horse I didn’t love. Let me know if you don’t like him.

There is a stallion called TF Classic Twist in West Virginia that has some classic american TB sport horse bloodlines. I saw him online and thought of him as a jumping horse but he is a very nice mover and reportedly throws very good temperments. I would look at him for a sporthorse type.

Comet Shine, Pleasant Colony and his sons are a few more to add to your bloodline search.

1 Like

I don’t think storm cats like dressage. I used to think it was the breeding, but I have a friend that adores her storm cat but doesn’t use it for dressage - and then I realized it was the dressage thing.

I wouldn’t buy a short choppy Mr. Prospector trot for dressage either.

I feel like I’ve seen some nice a.p. indys competitive in dressage.

Ottb for dressage would be one that has a good attitude and likes to think before reacting and isn’t too straight in the hindleg to collect that canter.

My old horse Rush was a 2nd gen In Reality. He had good, decent dressage movement for back in the '90s, before it became all about the knee action. He really excelled at jumping though.

1 Like

That’s a really broad statement for all the up-close SCs out there. My Black Minnaloushe mare (SC son) actually disliked jumping (which is my discipline) but loved doing low-level dressage work. I was the one who hated dressage because it seems like watching paint dry to me.

She would have happily continued to progress if she hadn’t developed chronic cellulitis that led to damage that ultimately prohibited the swelling from going down. I let her go when the second leg also became involved.

She was a beautiful mover, as is my other SC granddaughter through Storm Broker.

2 Likes

You can’t paint these broad strokes off one horse in the pedigree. Especially one that’s likely to be 2 or more generations back at this point.

Also, Mr. Prospector was the single most dynamic sire of the 20th century. There is no such thing as a “short choppy Mr. Prospector trot.” His offspring were not that consistent in type and many of them were spitting images of their dam.

3 Likes

I agree but i have 2 storm cats in the barn right now and ive neber met a horse that didnt have mr. Prospector - i just wouldnt want those for dressage. There are also some german warmblood lines that i wouldnt touch with a 10 ft poll.

The Fappiano line of Mr P has had a lot of success in sport-- thinking specifically of Courageous Comet (by Comet Shine, by Fappiano) who was a phenomenal mover and scored extremely well in dressage. Unbridled/UBS also is known for decent movers as well. And AP Indy/Mr P (often through Fappiano) was a very good nick for racing, so is pretty common in many modern pedigrees
who are also usually above average movers.

1 Like

The best tb ive ever had specifically for dressage was by the irish stallion North Light.

If i was shopping for dressage horse in tb land i would make sure i could fit 2 fists behind the elbow. Also depending on the op’s goals if they want yo get past third i would make sure the hind leg wasnt too straight - it can be done but getting that collection there is much harder with a super straight hind leg.