Unlimited access >

TB Pedigree help-looking at a yearling with 3x Storm Cat

he sounds lovely! Please post a picture if/when you get him :yes:

1 Like

I’d love to see a picture too, if you get him. :slight_smile:

My gelding seems to be related to your mare. He is out of Pleasant Tap, who is out of Pleasant Colony. His sire was Boogy Cat by Storm Cat.

He was always easy to ride even if he had days off. I never lunged him prior to getting on. He could feel like a loaded cannon at a show or cross country but never acted up.

He could have hysterics at the gate if he wanted in because of bugs or extreme cold but I could always settle him once I got a lead on him. Unfortunately his hocks didn’t stand up to higher level dressage but stayed sound enough for lighter flat work and some hacking. He is now 20 years old.

BTW his name is Cat Tap.

My gelding’s paternal grandsire is Pleasant Colony and his maternal grandsire is Storm Cat. He gives a powerful ride but always well behaved. He can have hysterics at the gate when he wants to come in either due to bugs or when the weather is miserable but I could always handle him. He is now 20. His walk and canter are his best gates.

I love the SC lines. I have one that’s a total stubborn cow, very sound and fancy. One that is the easiest horse I’ve ever sat on but off/on lame. I believe both of them have SC top and bottom. The sweet, level headed one is kinda ugly to look at… has a pretty head but that’s it. His sire in Hansen.

https://www.pedigreequery.com/shades+play

Oh how cool! Who are the parents? Mine is by Tomorrow’s Cat, out of Colonial Currency. Very stereotypical TB build. Very sexy walk, lovely trot, daisy cutter canter with just enough suspension.

I wouldn’t touch that pedigree way To much Mr P and Storm Cat…plus the SC is all in the same generation…I have a Stallion w/ SC and made a big point of Not breeding my One filly by Freud (SC)to him. I prefer pedigrees without any SC or Mr P when ever possible in anything I plan to breed Double whammy is if it is chestnut w/ all that SC. I prefer total out crosses w/ as little or none of either. It has nothing to do with soundness but more about temperament and mind set. This yearling is still a blank page may have an exceptional temperament Now but that doesn’t mean he will when his buttons are pushed as a adolescent.

2 Likes

His sire is Pleasant Tap and the dam Bogie Cat, His name is Cat Tap. I got him when he was 5, He did race but apparently liked to be at the back. Retired sound. I wasn’t looking to buy when his picture jumped out at me from the computer. I went to look at him without anyone else, no vet check etc. just an impulse. He gave me a very solid ride in a big field so I bought him. My other TB was the complete opposite, he was like riding a feather in the wind, very sensitive.

He was great over fences and OK for dressage but his hocks couldn’t take the upper level work. I still have him and a dutch warmblood but my riding has been sporadic these last few years.

Ah, so you’ve got the reverse from mine. I’ve always wondered if things are generally different if SC is on top vs the bottom, at the grand get point (obviously).

This is not proven in any sort of way, just my observation (so, anecdote) but I seem to find horses move better when SC comes through tail male. That’s not to say there aren’t good movers out there with him damside or somewhere else, but just a possible correlation I’ve seen. Definitely with some horses, it matters where they are positioned in the pedigree.

1 Like

I really don’t think bloodlines matter very much. I have owned two sets of brothers. Two had the same dam so were 1/2 brothers the other two were full brothers, same dam same sire. Other than their colour there were no similarities even though they were started and trained exactly the same. Conformation and personalities were very different.

t

1 Like

Thanks! I hadn’t heard that. Mine is a lovely Hunter mover, though I’ve also heard that isn’t uncommon with Pleasant Colony grandkids.

Bloodlines matter a lot. But they aren’t a guarantee. Some horses and lines make a bigger impact than others.

There are plenty of horses and entire lines which are very prepotent for producing a certain type of horse, whether movement, looks, temperament, or some combination or all 3.

I’ve also known full siblings who were nothing alike in any way other than pleasant to be around, and that likely had a lot to do with their upbringing as their breeding. One was a hotter Dressage type horse, the other a more laid back Hunter

There’s a a reason it’s not uncommon in this forum to see threads asking about a certain horse in a pedigree even a few generations back - known for producing amazing Eventers or Jumpers, or not. There’s a reason stallions are known for producing amateur, or pro rides, regardless of the mare.

1 Like

I think they matter in the product they tend to put forth, but I have also met full siblings that were very different. So I can certainly believe that there are horses out there from the same parent pairing, who are very different.

I’ve mentioned this before but I have two Say Florida Sandy geldings. I liked the first one so much I went and looked for a second. I knew I would be getting a horse pretty close to #1 because I’d seen several SFS off the track and they’d always caught my eye and were almost all the same - bay, classy, event types with very correct movement. We bought #2 sight unseen; he met every expectation and then some, but SFS and his sire-line are known for pretty much duplicating themselves. So there are some sires where it’s almost a guarantee that the offspring will be very similar in type, but there are also some where the mare family is very strong and tends to come through incredibly.

#1 and #2 couldn’t be more different in personality, but their temperaments are both the same – if that makes any sense.

3 Likes

Update!!

Had him vetted and he passed with flying colors…Vet, who is a rider herself kept saying how nice he was with really nice gaits and he was so calm and unfettered about being in a new place for the PPE.

So… he is now mine :slight_smile: Looking forward to working with him and getting to know him better. Thank you all for your insights and knowledge sharing!

10 Likes

Congratulations! We’d all love to see a photo if you’d like to share one. :yes:

1 Like

Congrats, Really!

Congratulations! I’m glad everything worked out well for you (and him)!

Excellent and remember the COTH rule… without photos it didn’t happen.

Glad you are happy with your acquisition.:smiley:

1 Like

Long time no post… but I did want to show a picture of my boy who turned 3 in April. He’s been a superstar in a place that doesn’t’ see a lot like him (he’s at a relatives Reined Cowhorse operation) . He’s 17h and growing, is pretty chill, uses his back really well and is a wonderful mover. Still not sure what I am going to do with him, he may be too talented for me but we’ll give him some more time before I decide.

5 Likes

Now i feel like an idiot, how do I post a pic or link to pic?