Unlimited access >

TB Pedigree Help? - Tamayaz x Smarten

A new thoroughbred mare arrived today! She was given to us by one of my good friends who is recently married and pregnant. She’s had about a year off, but we’ve admired and known her for quite some time. I definitely recognize some of the names in her pedigree, but was hoping COTH could educate me a little bit more.

She is by Tamayaz and out of a Smarten daughter.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/lisa+is+smart

We are excited to enjoy her!

Nothing to worry about, but Dickens Hill is one of those stallions with an EVIL reputation.

Pedigree is nice. To my thinking one of the best things in it is Mrs. Peterkin; Gone West is one of the best Mr. Ps; Smarten is quite good, and so, of course, is Val de L’orne. Dickens Hill actually has a very nice pedigree for sport. Mount Hagen, also a bit evil, as was his sire, Bold Bidder, was the sire of several European UL event horses. Tamayaz did most of his racing in Europe and Dubai (Godolphin horse), so he’s turfy, which is a good thing for sport.

Thank you, Viney! I was hoping you’d chime in - I never would have picked up on Mrs. Peterkin. What is so good about her? I recognized Gone West from previous ‘sport bred’ threads, and I know I remembered Smarten’s name but couldn’t remember much more.

Mrs. Peterkin is the second dam of the stallions War Deputy and Shareef Dancer through her daughter, Sweet Alliance. Shareef Dancer is the Sire of the German stallion Audio, who is the sire of Gin & Juice, an International/Games eventer, as well as her full brother whose name I have forgotten who is a 3*/4* horse. A daughter is the dam of a Dutch event horse who is a confirmed and decent 1* horse. War Deputy is the sire of Exponential, who is Jessica Phoenix’s International/Games horse. Half of the Canadian WEG 2010 silver medal eventing team came from Sweet Alliance stallions. Of course, Sweet Alliance had Sir Ivor as sire, and you can hardly do better than that for eventing.

Mrs. Peterkin is from a long line of superlative mares and brings a touch of Son-In-Law through her dam Legendra, who was practically a legend herself.