Unlimited access >

Team USA Stuff: Aachen & WEG

Article dated July 29th. No team announcement yet.

I read the job description and all of the reporting and cross-reporting that it requires. It’s a job set up for failure.

I do wonder why a chef is even needed and what value they provide. Is any top really going to change how they train and manage their horses base upon what someone at USEF/USEA says? If I were someone who purchased horses for someone else to compete at the highest levels, they would be forbidden from getting my horses involved in any team oriented competitions.

@FitToBeTied “I do wonder why a chef is even needed”

The British Team Chef, Performance Manager, vet, nutritionist, farrier etc etc etc don’t take over from the rider and owners, they support, assist and sometimes inform. The teams and, importantly, potential team members all benefit from the best possible advice, research and training. It is up to individual riders to decide to take up the opportunities offered or not: it is not a rigid system. Most agree, from Junior level upwards, that it is top notch training and information and so they would be foolish not to participate. The Chef oversees not just the horses and riders but also all the support team, right down to setting up a relaxing rest area for the entire team at the championships. It is the preparation and behind the scenes work that makes for successful team performance.

3 Likes

I thought this was super interesting, on the role of a chef / team manager in the British, NZ and Canadian systems recently: https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/features/performance-managers-secrets-796279

1 Like

Re article above : Heres the video link for anyone who wants to listen;

1 Like