Unlimited access >

Teen Showing Leadline??? (Odd Circumstances)

I think you will find schooling shows to be very accomodating. I know different one’s that I have been invovled with would make accomodations for you to have a leadline. Our leadline here is like others have said strictly walking into the ring and then maybe have the judge ask you a question but everyone gets a prize. We also have walk trot classes though that might be more appropriate.

[QUOTE=Donkerbruin;7547298]
Maybe you could speak to some h/j show organizers and see if you could go in a walk/trot class with someone with you on the ground. I think you’d have a good chance of them allowing it, if you agree to go unjudged.[/QUOTE]

Or check with general open shows. One barn I showed with had a student who was deaf and some other mild issues. She wasn’t impaired much as rider and rode as everyone else, however, the ring masters didn’t have any problem with her having a header in the line up (open eng pleasure class). The horse knew to WTC from the announcements if the kid didn’t catch it.

Nearly any schooling dressage show should be willing to accommodate you - I’m on the East Coast, but we had a rider do the Grade 1a Para test and Intro A on a leadline at our schooling show a few years ago. Just call up and ask - I doubt there is a schooling show out there that won’t accommodate you.

I think it’s so awesome that you’re doing this with such dedication. :smiley:

[QUOTE=joiedevie99;7547666]
Nearly any schooling dressage show should be willing to accommodate you - I’m on the East Coast, but we had a rider do the Grade 1a Para test and Intro A on a leadline at our schooling show a few years ago. Just call up and ask - I doubt there is a schooling show out there that won’t accommodate you.[/QUOTE]

I can’t imagine that any schooling show would turn you down if you/your trainer made your needs clear. I’ve been to a couple of schooling shows that had para riders. They were mixed in to the regular rides (training level, novice para, first level) and the tests were not on the prize list, so my guess is that the riders just asked the organizers if they could ride their tests and were added in accordingly.

I think that it would probably be easier to start out at a dressage show for several reasons: 1. You are already familiar with dressage/have the tack, 2. You will be the only rider in the ring, so you can focus on your ride more, and 3. Most dressage schooling shows tend to be fairly low-key (at least where I am).

You might also consider, if your trainer is willing, to just haul to some local schooling shows and ride around the grounds. That way you get to experience the show atmosphere without the stress of actually competing.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I’ll talk to mom and trainer about options. To clear up a few things, I’m involved in para equestrian and am a Grade 1A. I’m just super impatient to show.

This is a bit off the topic of the specific question, but if you’ve been primarily riding dressage I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t call the organizer of a schooling show and request to do one of the intro tests while being led. I agree with the others who made that suggestion. At least in my neck of the woods I really cannot fathom anyone saying “no” to that request under the circumstances. I would say maybe even a training test, but I think all that trotting might kill your leader :wink:

Our local unrecognized dressage shows have a walk-only leadline option with its own tests. I think going to a schooling H/J show that has beginner w/t classes geared toward teenagers/ adults and asking permission to have a leader in the ring would be better all around than leadline which is usually pretty small kids. These are the leadline dressage tests: http://www.bluegoosestable.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/LEADLINE-DRESSAG-TEST-A-2011.pdf
http://www.bluegoosestable.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/LEADLINE-DRESSAGE-TEST-B-2011.pdf

[QUOTE=Natalie A;7548602]
Yes! I lessoned after her for awhile on the Fjord I was riding then. I’m eventually interested in doing occasional para stuff, although right now showing’s not really on my radar. I would love it if they had a clinic or two here. I haven’t been classified but would either be a II or III? I’m not sure what they would do with me :lol:[/QUOTE]

PM me for more info on getting into para!

If I were a show manager, I wouldn’t turn you down. They may recommend you ride unjudged, but that wouldn’t be the worst thing. The worst thing they can say is no, so just keep calling shows until someone says yes. Clearly, you have the determination.

No advice to offer beyond what all of these more knowledgeable folks have come up with, but I just wanted to tell you, “Good luck and have fun!” :slight_smile:

What a beautiful contrast to the “This sport we love” thread. You go girl!

As others have said, call/email show organizers. They’re quite likely to be receptive. In my own case as a secretary, if we realize there is a desire for a class we will add it to the offerings.

Don’t rule out other discipline schooling shows either. We have a local barn that does western timed events that offers a TON of options. Including being led around the obstacles/course. There’s one gentleman who is wheelchair bond…he has a custom saddle that holds him in place and an amazing horse…he’s awe inspiring to watch. Good luck and keep working at it!

[QUOTE=findeight;7547273]

Not to be indelicate here but the little kids in a typical leadline class may not understand and I don’t know that you’d want to share specifics with all of them and their parents.[/QUOTE]

Quite apart from the OP’s interest in leadline class, to suggest that a differently-abled rider’s participation in Life’s Rich Pageant should depend on the “understanding” of able-bodied people is not “indelicate,” it is discriminatory.

OP, also call the local shows in your area. I know when we did local shows we would have added a class especially for you, absolutely. Whatever you wanted. it just wouldn’t have been on the prize list because we didn’t know you needed it! We did it for a kid with CP, I forget what we called it but he had a leader and did walk/favorite gait because his horse was gaited. We would have let you tell us whether you wanted it to be open to people without leaders or not, whatever you felt was best for you. I think many local show managers would be happy to accommodate you, what’s another set of ribbons when we could help you show. We would also have let you have a leader in any class that was appropriate, like an open walk/trot or trail. I would be shocked if anyone said no, it seems like such an easy accommodation.