Unlimited access >

Tell about the time you wanted to hang it up

This is an amazing thread.

I come to it with a little different perspective. I am a lNT. That’s ‘little name trainer’ with a small “L”. My handful of clients show in classes from walk/trot to 2’6, and while we are starting to go to more A shows I’m a small fish in the shark tank.

Some of my clients have come to me with the shiny flashy horse that was too much and made them cry. My standard speech is riding should be fun. This is your hobby and your break from day to day life. Let’s find you a horse that makes you happy.
And I have done that. When we try horses I don’t go for the one I would love to ride and show. But the one that is appropriate for their level at that time.

I have also lost clients who wanted the shiny 3’6 hunter for their child coming off a pony because I refused to buy into buying the horse that should be the next horse, not the now horse. In trying to keep them realistic about their path to their upper level dreams I lost them to another trainer who let them buy the fancy horse. I can see this dilemma that is imdimic in the horse industry. From the amateurs and parents who come to trainers with big dreams and aspirations above their skill set, to the trainers who talk clients into buying the green, fancy, inappropriate horse or who just want the nice ride or the commission. And have their clients over mounted. It makes me sad because we loose people who love the sport and the horses through this.

And then I sit here with my own horse story as well. And I am wondering whether it is time for me to hang up my spurs and move on.
I bought a “quirky” mare from a horse trader friend. She was a mental mess and I truly believed I could help her. The plan was to get her better broke so I could sell her.

Fast forward 6 years. She has moved to multiple different barns, has been through multiple life changes with me, has been put on the back burner when I was too busy and brought back to work. She has had every injection imaginable, most recently her neck. Gets regular chiropractic and PEMF. And yet continues to be difficult and exhausting to ride. I am tired of pushing this rock up the hill. I am tired of that thin line of hope that she will one day be a performance horse. I went from upper level dreams to “if she could just do a meter, or.80, or… I would be happy”.

I like having my own horse to ride. But I want it to be fun, not a trial every time I swing my leg over. I love the relationship I have with my horse vs those of my clients. But this horse has become something I dread getting on at the end of the day. I don’t want a horse I have to fix everyday.
I am sad. I am questioning who I am if I don’t personally own a horse. For me just riding clients horses doesn’t give me the same good feeling relationship. I miss that the most.

9 Likes

Time to follow your own advice and find the “now” horse? You deserve to enjoy a personal horse as much as your clients.

Part of staying in horses for decades is realizing you change and have different needs. Once you “get” that, you’ll get the fun part back.

Does not sound like that “quirky” mare has much fun either. Sounds like she’s uncomfortable at best, in pain at worst, just not right and never will be. That needs to be admitted and dealt with to do both of you any good at all.

4 Likes

LOVE this!!!

3 Likes

I cannot tell you how much I love this!!!

1 Like

Testify! This was me. I went to my trainer with shiny/inappropriate dreams, and she supported them. It’s probably my own stupid fault. I wish she’d have told me I was being an idiot, and that a fancy green bean was a BAD idea. But no, we found and bought that horse. Disclaimer: I like the horse, and I can ride him safely…most of the time. However, I feel 100% captive, because I would never dare take him out of full training for the next few years. And who has the only full training program around? You guessed it.

5 Likes

Thats how we learn, unfortunately. Despite others trying to point it out, would you have listened? I didn’t, didn’t know any better, had to experience it. More then once. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

As a follow-up, everything that we’ve shared here has made me feel so much better and not alone. So THANK YOU… as you do feel foolish and lost and like you can’t trust anyone. I appreciate being surrounded by support and empathy and understanding. Whether you’ve been the customer, the trainer, the barn manager, or the bystander, you know it’s never an easy situation.
That being said, after taking into consideration of what everyone said here, I decided to put horse on the market, and ended up moving him from the trainer to another barn where I’ve seen repetitive success, and although considerably more expensive, has already started listening to what my needs are, along with plans for current horse, and made moves to find me something more appropriate and are discussing short term options while we get this one sold.
Sitting on something more ammy friendly and appropriate made me feel wonderful. It’s changed my mindset and instilled hope that I could really get back there and compete myself.
Keep the stories and commiseration coming. We’re in this together!

28 Likes

You’ll keep us updated, right? (Please)

All good travels,

1 Like

This is my horse that I figured I’d never jump higher than 2’6” if I ever even jumped him.

The lessons and gymnastics over the last few months have made both of us stronger and gotten my bravery back.

20 Likes

This makes me so happy for you, Tini! Way to go!!

1 Like

Of course! I would never abandon my COTH fam!

2 Likes

The difference between this board and many others is most who offer advice here speak from personal experience, including spectacular, expensive and sometimes painful mistakes shared to make others aware and, hopefully avoid doing the same dam thing. Or at least realize they are heading that way.

Thats why its so nice to get real time updates on these evolving situations, to learn from them. Theres another thread continuing thread now running since OP got a war horse STB in 2014. Seeing the journey in real time is fun.

Sounds like you are getting better Pro help so things should really start looking up. Looking forward to the next update. Have fun…

7 Likes

Y’all, I am really happy that this and other similar threads are around. It is really easy to get sucked into the romantic picture of buying the greenie, bringing them along, growing together, and having a nice lovely horse at the end. It sounds great, right? It’s also really easy to miss what the reality of this is- work and life getting in the way of consistent riding, training bills adding up and up just to have a horse you can ride, feeling guilty for “wasting” the horse’s potential, and so forth.

I’m at the beginning of my horse shopping journey but it is so refreshing to hear that it is ok to buy the horse that you enjoy now. Not to try and plan for what you might be doing years down the road and trying to buy the scope/potential for those days. It all feels like the craziest thing to complain about sometimes because it is such a gift just to be here but I am thankful for this community!

6 Likes

UPDATE!!!

Hi Everyone,
As promised, I’m back. It took me a little while because I had a whirlwind few weeks, but the horse has sold. I bought another one. I’ve moved on and I’m riding a few times a week and getting back into the groove. I’ve been horseshowing and the horse I’m riding and bought is simply the best.
My goal here is not to gloat. My goal is to say it’s never too late and that if you’re having doubts, trust your gut. Don’t hem and haw about moving on. Life is too short and we’re all too passionate about these animals.
I’m blessed that the horse landed into the perfect home and will go onto amazing things. It makes me so happy to know he’s got a future that is so bright and that I’ll be able to follow from the sidelines, but then walk into my own ring with the right horse for me.
Thank you to everyone that commiserated, offered suggestions or just cheered me and the othr frustrated folks on. Keep the sharing going… this is by no means a closed thread. Just one success story that I hope ends up being multiple stories for all of us. <3

26 Likes

Aw, that’s a wonderful update! Tell us about your new guy.

I’m still in the hemming and hawing phase. Analysis paralysis will be the death of me, I swear.

SO glad you were able to find a nice mount in this crazy market so quickly. What a blessing!

2 Likes

I LOVE this! I am so happy all is going well for you, new horse, and sold horse! At the end of it all, when we are old and sitting in our rocking chairs at the retired equestrians retirement center (or the small cottage that we can carefully afford because we spent our money on horses :rofl:), we want to be able to look back and know we made choices that eventually led us to happiness and that helped us enjoy horses and our sport. Most of us are not going to the olympics, but if we have a couple really lovely trail rides in a quiet wood with a peaceful horse where we get to enjoy the wildlife, or some really fun local shows with our equally crazy friends, we can relive those memories and remember how much FUN we had. When I think back to all of the horses I’ve owned and loved, my memories vary from fabulous horse show experiences to trail riding with friends, to learning a new skill, and so many more things. All of it has value, and the only thing I need to create those good memories is a horse I loved and enjoyed at that moment.

So, whatever it is that you need to do to enjoy things NOW, do everything in your power to make it happen.

2 Likes

Plot twist… it’s a new GIRL. She’s darling and sweet. Knows her job and does it exquisitely.
Daisy cutting trot and heart of gold with tight knees over fences. Considerably smaller and the portrait of patience. I was fortunate that all the stars aligned and she happened to have just arrived when I did. She is that forever horse that no barn wants to lose and she will always have us as her people.
It’s why I would strongly encourage that if you’re in over your head, feeling like you’re not having fun, or that you’re not getting the support, program, and organization that you need, to just move on. It might cost more. It might require more driving or a bigger commitment. However, I’m here to tell you that it can all work out when you find the right place. Use my story as inspiration to make your own change. I really thought that it was over for me… and that I might not ever get out there again. Instead, I’ve got several blue ribbons after my first 2 weeks back in the show ring and a ton of things to work on before the next show.
The big baby went to an amazing home and will have a big career. He’s proven himself to be a standout and it will be fun to follow his life. So the happily ever after extended to his side, as well.

16 Likes

I just strolled by because I was thinking about all of this again. First, congrats on the new horse! I’m still in my funk though. I decided to stop riding, try to find better employment for a work life balance (giving myself a year, prayers welcome!) and then start shopping. I’m very much over my years of riding for other people. However, I’ve been asked to ride a former mount at another barn to fill in some exercise time temporarily. I was going to say no but gave in since my phone was never silent. I’ve ridden 2x now and was bored out of my mind and still just not really feeling it. The horse is perfectly fine.

The problem is that IF I do finally get myself in a position to have TIME to buy, I’m not sure if I’ll have the courage to buy. I love a project, I love a challenge. Once I get a horse past the problems or initial training it needs I get bored. Sure I could take lessons and advance in dressage or jumping but I just really enjoy the problem solving parts I can do on my own with out help. Its so rewarding. However I don’t want to “flip” horses, not sure I’d have the heart for it anyway. Well, that’s my 2 cents. Maybe by winter I’ll be over this funk, who knows.

5 Likes

More update.

We did back to back shows at the facility where Grady got hurt three years ago. Footing in showing and warmup rings vastly improved, or I wouldn’t have gone. Did 90’s the first week, finishing with the 95-cm classic, and then moved up to the meters and Low AA’s (which were 1-1.05 m) the second. I think the last time I jumped over 3’ at a show was 25+ years ago. We have some work to do to be competitive, but jumped around fine. And got a great photo.

28 Likes

Yes, you did! Congratulations!

1 Like