Unlimited access >

Tell me about Augusta, GA

What’s that about “ask about trailer?”

GA requires a “practical exam” which I haven’t seen as a requirement anywhere else, and the fees seem sky-high. SC requires an interview–no idea if those are conducted on Skype these days. VA sounded relatively easy, but I mapped out that 90% of their USEA events are in the northern expensive part of the state, so I think nope on VA. It doesn’t help that I’m starting from IL which had relatively few requirements. Other states had externship hours required, which was a reason I didn’t get a few more licenses at graduation. One would hope 20+ years after graduation I wouldn’t have to fulfill such hours, but you never know–I saw an IL state job last week with a residency required. I’ve never heard of someone completing a residency 20 years after grad…or even 5.

I figure I better get both SC and GA licenses if I’m going to move to Aiken, since I want to work in a hospital and it seems there aren’t that many around.

@OTTBs I wouldn’t rule out VA. It’s been nearly 20 years since I lived there (sheesh, has it really been that long?) but you don’t have to be Mrs. Mars neighbor in NoVA to reap the benefits of the eventing scene. So long as you don’t dip too far below the I-64 corridor you will have good access. I lived just north of Lynchburg. By the time you get to Lynchburg the eventing scene has dropped off, but head just a little north of there to Charlottesville and you are in eventing country. Another option if you want access to northern VA without the prices: MD and WV are literally right there by the state line.

The thing is, you aren’t going to get Aiken-mild winters in VA. Many people still pack up and head to Florida, which is a little unnecessary IMO but that’s how everyone does it anymore.

My husband and I are feeling really “meh” about the prospects of living in GA or SC because we spent so many years in the south and haven’t recovered from it yet. I’m not sure the allure of Aiken will override that for us. But had his company set up shop in somewhere like Charlottesville, I’d already have the movers scheduled!

Oh and P.S. they line dance in VA, or at least they used to… :rofl:

Like @mvp said, the Hitchcock Woods right in town has endless amounts of trails and everything is very well maintained. Plenty of jumps too since that is where Aiken Hounds hunts and it really is a special place to ride! A lot of the boarding paces usually have good trails with them too.
Sadly I don’t have any info on taxes since I live in town and have my horse at a boarding facility. I moved to Aiken about 6 years ago and it has been the best decision ever!

1 Like

I was not alive in the 1970s (giggle) but i can relate to the quicksand from Mario Brothers on Nintendo :joy:

1 Like

Whoops. I’m sure I meant trails.

But also, do look around at the housing (and potentially chained-up dogs) that are around a property you’d consider in Aiken County. Neighbors who don’t roll as you do can be a buzz-kill.

Also, be damn sure to ask about internet availability. Then Trust But Verify. Definitely Verify. Internet access is spotty outside of city limits and people’s sense of what counts as good enough internet varies. Do not assume that you can work from home via Zoom unless you have really checked that out. ATT fiber optic seems to be the gold standard here, but also not available in most parts of the county.

Also, IMO, you need to be really on top of doing your own due diligence, too. There are some realtors who specialize in horse properties and those men/women will have local knowledge that will be invaluable to you. But when it comes to technical stuff like flood zones (not many here) or internet or even things like pulling a permit history on a property, they tend to not be as Due Diligence-y as I would like. I might be extreme, just so you can consider your source.

Aiken has its own dinky hospital which, by and large, has a poor reputation. But University Hospital across the Savannah River in Augusta is better. Aiken has a ton of retirees. Augusta is a larger city and it has Fort Gordon. I can’t imagine that you couldn’t get a job here.

It’s odd that that slacker South… the welcoming South would make it so hard for a pharmacist to move in. :slight_smile:

If you need work when you first arrive, and need time to complete the exams for the two states, see if there’s a VA hospital, or clinic, or military post and get a job there. When you work for the federal government, you need to be licensed in one state, not the specific state or territory you’re working in.

Here’s the usajobs.gov pharmacist openings page:

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/Results?k=Pharmacist

You just sign up for an account, fill out the resume form, and whatever else the job announcement requires. You can scan and load your necessary transcripts, licenses, etc. Then when you apply for a specific job, you select your resume type of form, and you upload the documents the announcement calls for. (I’m not great with computer stuff, so when I applied for a few, I accidentally uploaded two or three copies of a few of the required documents. I guess reading the instructions better would have worked out. )

Here’s the openings at Fort Gordon. https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/606258200#

On the Army Medical Command, job listing above, Fort Gordon and other posts show when you click on Locations (the second block), and Show More Locations, where Fort Gordon is listed. Every male has to be registered for the Selective Service, between the ages listed, it doesn’t mean there’s an age limit on the applicants for civil service working for Army, or other services.

Under the Air Force openings, do the same thing, and click on Other locations, and there are other bases on there. https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/587927400#

You can also put Pharmicist in the Keywords block, and the state you want in the Locations block on the top of the page, and you only get Georgia or South Carolina jobs.

I don’t know why there’s an age limit on some that you saw, but that might be a position that is part reserves combined with civil service?

I knew this, but only saw one V.A. ad in GA and it was outpatient. Somewhere by following your link I found one in Dublin, GA. I never really thought about a military position since we really don’t have those in IL; though the Air Force ads that seem to always come up on Indeed also specified that I am too old (ages 18-41 can apply). At least the ones I’m seeing at your link say men born after 1959 “must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration” so I hope that means us older folks are still considered.

:laughing: I never even thought about that, was totally thinking trailer trash etc.

You thought right and got my vibe.

@nycjumper Sent you a pm a few days ago. Also wondering, is it easier to finance a horse property in Aiken? Here, most banks won’t appraise high enough to cover the land and indoor arena; I had to go with Farm Credit. It’s probably easier just because lots of people don’t have indoor arenas. I’d hope in an area with tons of horse properties and many subdivisions of them that the banks would appraise more in keeping with the “real” value.

@JanM I’ve been browsing the usajobs site and getting a bit excited. This move might happen if I can sell my farm–which means people can’t listen to what the banks think it is worth.

@BraveSC Can you say what the average board for a not-too-fancy place is in Aiken? I saw Full Gallop Farm is $550. Not sure if I would board or buy horse property.

There are a lot of cash buyers around, and they don’t even get an appraisal, so the right realtor might get a sale done. Contact a realtor for a market analysis, and see what they say. The Army and other job ads are direct hire, which means when they get a resume, and a candidate that they want, they just hire them.

Many included moving costs. They won’t cover more than a certain amount, and not the (unless something changed) transportation of the animals, but it’s something. They often will finance a move trip, a week or so to actually visit, and look at properties.

If you decide to board, at least for a while, and hunt for a property to buy, then you could sell a lot of stuff that you don’t need. Or include it with the property on a separate contract. That would make the move cheaper.

I bought 11.33 acres back in 2018 at a super cheap price in Windsor. I live in a super cute little equestrian enclave. There are lots of little affordable places around. I am happy with the vet and farrier care I have gotten. Prices have gone up but not as stupidly as some areas. The equine developments are VERY expensive, BUT they offer maintenance free amenities…,in that you don’t have to spend the time or do the work. There are multiple disciplines here and there has been a great influx of people fleeing the north to settle here. We are still cheaper than Ocala and Wellington. My neighbor commutes to Augusta for work. If you decided you are coming here to look, get with a local horse person and spend a couple of days letting them drive you around. My taxes run around $300 for my place… and I think I am at 6%.

3 Likes

$300… a year?

:exploding_head:

I pay over $12k… and I don’t even have an acre…

I’m in Aiken county (not the city limits). I have 46 acres and my taxes are around $1,000 per year.

Ravenclaw… I have one crappy shed and live in a tiny house, so nothing much taxable here. My house in Indianapolis was 1400 sq ft on.23 acres and I paid about 2200/ yr. My 10 acre farm in Indy with a 3000 sq foot house, barn and indoor with 2 run in sheds ran just over $5,000 a year in taxes.

Stupid question: then why are the taxes on this place listed as $6k and as high as $16k at one point?

That was the property that made me notice the taxes. Of course, the info could be inaccurate.

For us, we probably won’t be moving to the area. It’s an interesting option, and with our real estate heartbreak here, the idea of saying “screw it we are moving somewhere else” is appealing to me at the moment. But in the end, it really doesn’t make sense for us right now. Minus our real estate woes, we are content where we are and our families are close by. However seeing how many people are seriously considering the area, I think this thread has been quite beneficial!

Aiken county taxes are lower than a lot of places. But I don’t know how much they are if you’re in the Aiken city limits. I have only lived in more rural parts of the county.

The whole state of SC isn’t like this. I used to live in Richland county (where Columbia is) and their taxes are higher. So is Lexington county (which is next to Aiken county).

I don’t know but the schools listed are Edgefield county schools so the house is probably in Edgefield county (not Aiken). I wouldn’t think Edgefield is more expensive than Aiken but maybe it is.

I would say not too fancy board is around 600-800 for stall board.

The assessment is NOT the tax rate here. That number is multiplied by a factor to determine you taxes.

FWIW, example of a SC tax assessment notice reads like this:
Market value $60,000
Property value: $23,000
assessment $ 1250
Taxes $ 350