Unlimited access >

Temporary shelter

If all you need is more height, I assume maybe a couple feet taller would suffice, sistering longer legs to those there would work.

I was actually planning on putting up a larger carport with the upgrades you all suggested. I thought it was the best bang for the buck to get a roof up. Again, my SO and friend thought it wouldn’t work. I was ready to order, didn’t, now price surcharge of 20% :confounded:

Sistering a longer leg was what I was thinking. I’ll need to find someone with metal work skills. I’m good with wood, metal work not so much.

You could get square tubing, drill holes and bolt them to each other and the roof.

A bit of baling wire here and there helps also.
Baling wire and duct tape is what holds the world together. :wink:

I’ve added zip ties and bungies to your list :slight_smile:

Ok, maybe I can drill holes. I know I can use bolts. But then again I THOUGHT I could drill out broken screws on my horse trailer to replace door holdbacks - three drill bits and crying later I found that was beyond my skills.

It was rather gratifying to have the run-in just roll off the back of the trailer onto my pad and have a solid, instant shelter. I did modify it once it arrived, but why do what you can overdo, I always say. :smile:

In addition to the delivery charge, I do notice that the buildings themselves are quite a bit pricier than when I bought mine. Looks like the building inflation really is into everything!

Good luck!

greys

Soul searching (and all your comments) tells me I won’t be happy without the security of being able to put an injured horse in a safe covered area. I’m the wimpy one for sure.

Moving my current run-in is probably out. I’ve gotten a quote for just taking it down. It’s pretty high. I just can’t do it myself with my significant other. He’s game but I know my limitations. I can haul it down in my trailer but I’m sure putting it all back together in my new place will be expensive.

I’ve just looked at a nice set up in another forum post showing a carport with just the roof installed with plans for finishing out the interior. With ideas from current carport owners (thank you) I’m going to go with this type of set-up even though the price is 15% higher than a few months ago.

So my current plan (wishy washy me) is to order the car port building with just a roof (I’ve heard delivery can take several months). Since I’m moving in a month I’ll wait until I’m there to have the grading, gravel pad and concrete footings done. I’m crossing my fingers that I’ll find a contractor that will work with a women without the “where’s your husband” attitude. :sweat_smile: :expressionless:

I’m hoping with the concrete footing put in I’ll be able to add concrete floors for tack/feed room and hay storage in the future.

If I find when I get there that I can swing a pole barn in the configuration I want (material prices lowering, I find a magic contractor), I can cancel the carport for a reasonable fee.

My horses should be fine until the building is put up with the current little carport raised at least a foot. That carport is already on a foundation of railroad ties making it easier raise.

Another plus for the new carport barn, I can bring the 1"x oak boards that are in my current barn with me. I put them up, I can take them down. :crazy_face: I really overbuilt these stalls so I have a lot of board feet. I also have three solid sliding stall doors with old tracks that work just fine. I can bring those, even though I really wanted to upgrade.

1 Like

You could keep an eye on the local Craigslist ads.
There is one here right now that seems reasonably priced:

Of course you would not want to contract with anyone without checking references thoroughly first.

Delivery on my carport took 8 weeks. I considered a traditional pole barn skeleton (poles and roof). For me, the big difference was the availability of engineer stamped plans showing the wind rating on the carport. And less wood for the humidity and bugs to destroy.

The install on the carport was one day. They came, they built, they left the same day. Easy peasy.

These have become very popular around here

I was considering one for my horse’s pen at my boarding place but anchoring it would have been problematic. She does have a shed in her pen, it is just way in the back and she has to eat in the wind and weather…which she has survived just fine. I decided to save my money.

Most of the farm stores around here carry them. If you have the corral panels, you just need the bows and the tarp for the roof.
Susan

Thanks for the info. All of those pros were my thoughts.

The one day build just seems awesome. I’m very insecure about builders and my ability to oversee a job. My sister needed a wheelchair ramp for her house. She thinks the builder stole the materials since materials and builder vanished on the same day. She did everything right, checked references had a contract etc. All meaningless since the builder vanished. I had a similar experience with a fence builder. He at least started the job and left some of the materials I’d paid for. Again, vanished.

1 Like

Kyrabee, Thank you for the suggestion. I did consider these and I do have corral panels. I even searched out some reviews. I don’t think a farrier has enough room to work safely and still be out of the weather. I know my horses wouldn’t share. Not only wouldn’t they share, even if I put several up, Piper would stand in one and the others would stand around just outside the opening looking pitiful. :sweat_smile:

The install was very smooth. No muss no fuss. They brought everything on a regular pickup and flat bed trailer. They were conscientious about cleaning up all trash and nails. I ran magnets after they left and only found one missed screw. Here are some in progress pics, you can see the roof support system.

Omg. The contractor high tailing it with the job money is the worst possible nightmare. That’s awful!

In my area, Carolina Carports and Eagle Carports are the available brands. I went with Eagle Carports as my parents have bought several through the local Eagle dealer with no complaints regarding service or quality of structures.

You might check several brands as some options / sizes may only be available with one brand or another.

lenapesadie, OMG I just went to the Eagle Carports site. As of April 1 many things have changed. They have a PDF with all the types of price and availability changes. They don’t even offer the upgraded steel! The price and build tool has no prices until they can calculate the increases. This whole supply chain issue…

Ugh ugh. That is unfortunate. I suspected prices would have increased some, as metal in general went up as I understand, but so bad that they can’t even quote you out? That’s awful.

I admit I did the old fashioned go to dealer and sit down to build my design and price my project.

Is not only that metal is going up, but that builders are fighting over it with suppliers and offering beanies over already high prices if a supplier can find them materials they absolutely need to finish a house or garage or whatever in time according to contract.

There is a bottleneck with short supply of all materials and parts right now.

1 Like

I heard last week from a friend in the auto industry that several major assembly plants in the U.S. are going on shutdown until they can get microchips! My barn woes pale in comparison.

1 Like