Unlimited access >

Tennessee Walking Horse Update

[QUOTE=Malda;8062337]
I would gladly own any of those fine horses. Any idea which farms they’re from? I’m horse shopping.[/QUOTE]

Not sure on all of them, but I know the Macgregors (MacGregor Stables) were there, as well as jason crawhorn (J&T Stables). If you go to the NWHA website, they should have contact info listed for both! Jason has some amazing horses for sale right now too!

[QUOTE=ilmjumper;8062564]
Not sure on all of them, but I know the Macgregors (MacGregor Stables) were there, as well as jason crawhorn (J&T Stables). If you go to the NWHA website, they should have contact info listed for both! Jason has some amazing horses for sale right now too![/QUOTE]

Thanks! I looked up both barns and nothing for sale at this time. I’ll keep looking.

I checked the NWHA site and didn’t see any listings for breeders.

[QUOTE=Guilherme;8061662]
Because the Scar Rule allows horses that would otherwise be disqualified to compete. It’s an exception to the general rule. Remove the exception and you’ll have more disqualifications.

G.[/QUOTE]

G, I’m not quite sure what you’re saying here, just want to keep all information accurate and factual is all.

The Scar Rule eliminates horses from showing who are born after October 1, 1975 that show signs of scars that are indicative of soring. It does not excuse scars for any horse that was born after 10/1/75. If the scar rule were removed, there would be nothing to stop people from scarring up their walkers and still being able to show them, as long as their legs were not dripping with acid at the show for the DQP’s or VMO’s to see.

The purpose of the scar rule is to discourage soring by not allowing previously sored horses to show. But, that success has been limited because the Big Lick Industry has fought everything tooth and nail. Yes, most breeds/disciplines police themselves and have a low tolerance for abuse. Not these guys.

[QUOTE=Malda;8062770]
Thanks! I looked up both barns and nothing for sale at this time. I’ll keep looking.

I checked the NWHA site and didn’t see any listings for breeders.[/QUOTE]

The might not have updated their website, I know as of Feb 24 he had a really nice roan. Maybe trying searching on facebook or contacting them? Either trainer though could find you a nice one. I also really like Zac Parsons horses, he had some really nice movers at Nationals last year and they’re another super friendly couple. Good luck in your search!

The HPA says:

[I]15 U.S.C. § 1823 : US Code - Section 1823: Horse shows and exhibitions
(a) Disqualification of horses
The management of any horse show or horse exhibition shall disqualify any horse from being shown or exhibited (1) which is sore or (2) if the management has been notified by a person appointed in accordance with regulations under subsection © of this section or by the Secretary that the horse is sore.

15 U.S.C. § 1821 : US Code - Section 1821: Definitions
(3) The term “sore” when used to describe a horse means that -
(A) an irritating or blistering agent has been applied, internally or externally, by a person to any limb of a horse,
(B) any burn, cut, or laceration has been inflicted by a person on any limb of a horse,
© any tack, nail, screw, or chemical agent has been injected by a person into or used by a person on any limb of a horse, or
(D) any other substance or device has been used by a person on any limb of a horse or a person has engaged in a practice involving a horse, and, as a result of such application, infliction, licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the State in which such treatment was given.injection, use, or practice, such horse suffers, or can reasonably be expected to suffer, physical pain or distress, inflammation, or lameness when walking, trotting, or otherwise moving, except that such term does not include such an application, infliction, injection, use, or practice in connection with the therapeutic treatment of a horse by or under the supervision of a person
[/I]
How does a DQP determine if a horse is “sore?” They examine the horse and look for indicators of unlawful activity. The primary method is palpation and looking for a pain reaction that would indicate probably existence of prohibited substances. Another is physical examination of the front limbs, particularly the pasterns, looking for scar tissue, loss of hair, sensitivity, etc. Bilateral scarring of the pastern is a recognized indicator of prohibited practices. Any horse with such scarring is eliminated under the words of the statute.

Because there are possibilities (but perhaps not probabilities) that routine pasture conditions can lead to “false positives” for soring the Scar Rule was adopted. This rule is as follows:*

[I]§ 11. 3Scar rule.
The scar rule applies to all horses born on or after October 1, 1975. Horses subject to this rule that do not meet the following scar rule criteria shall be considered to be “sore” and are subject to all prohibitions of section 5 of the Act. The scar rule criteria are as follows:
(a) The anterior and anterior-lateral surfaces of the fore pasterns (extensor surface) must be free of bilateral granulomas,5 other bilateral pathological evidence of inflammation, and, other bilateral evidence of abuse indicative of soring including, but not limited to, excessive loss of hair.

(b) The posterior surfaces of the pasterns (flexor surface), including the sulcus or “pocket” may show bilateral areas of uniformly thickened epithelial tissue if such areas are free of proliferating granuloma tissue, irritation, moisture, edema, or other evidence of inflammation.

Footnote(s):3-4 [Reserved]5 Granuloma is defined as any one of a rather large group of fairly distinctive focal lesions that are formed as a result of inflammatory reactions caused by biological, chemical, or physical agents.

[/I]

Put simply, the Statute says that a horse with bilateral scarring can be considered “sore”. The Scar Rule limits that finding by saying that some scarring is OK under certain conditions.

Which means that if we were to eliminate the Scar Rule we go back to the Statute’s definition and any bilateral scarring supports a finding of “sore.”

That’s why the Scar Rule, if it were deleted, would cause more horses to be eliminated.

G.

*The Scar Rule is found in the Code of Federal Regulations,

Television coverage regarding the Mississippi Charity Horse Show and the petition

http://www.wdam.com/story/28565842/controversy-surrounds-ms-charity-horse-show-big-lick

The petition is referenced

https://www.change.org/p/mississippi-charity-horse-show-manager-mr-robert-taylor-cancel-the-59-big-lick-tennessee-walking-horse-classes-at-the-2015-mississippi-charity-horse-show-and-ban-them-in-the-future

Oh my god, I live in Gallatin and hadn’t even heard this!!! Is this really true???

I have been fighting this show tooth and nail since moving here. It was the most disgusting and disturbing event I had ever attended in my life.

I hope they also decided to get rid of the Big Lick show at the local county fair.

Thanks G, I see what you’re saying now. There hasn’t been any talk, that I’m aware of, of getting rid of the Scar Rule. I don’t care if they are ever able to show their horses, personally.

It’s ridiculous in the first place that the TWH show industry is so cruel and crooked that they have to have government inspectors check their horses to find when they are damaged enough to be disqualified. The whole she-bang needs deleted and a major reform and reboot to happen. JMHO

This is a bigger network. Go Comment ! And thank the reporter !

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/28565842/controversy-surrounds-ms-charity-horse-show-big-lick

Another petition. This one is to bring awareness to the South Carolina Women’s Auxiliary Charity Horse Show.

https://www.change.org/p/american-cancer-society-discontinue-accepting-funds-from-the-south-carolina-walking-horse-ladies-auxiliary-cancer-benefit-horse-show

Article in Chattanooga paper:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/opinion/times/story/2015/mar/21/bring-circus-protest-help-tennessee-walkers/294478/

There is other breaking news happening in Jackson MS. We need to keep the spotlight on the MS Charity Horse Show. Please email the Clarion ledger and send this message. Use your own words to convey the following:

The Mississippi Charity Horse Show takes place in Jackson this week starting Thursday March 26. I hope your newspaper will cover this event and report on the Big Lick animal cruelty on display there. The UMMC has severed ties with the Horse Show due to the national controversy over the training and treatment of the Big Lick Tennessee Walking Horses.The Show Manager has received a Horse Protection Violation Citation for a horse he owned which was found to be sore. Public attention to this problem is the only thing which will cure it. Without you covering this story, no one will truly know what goes on.

Letters@jackson.gannett.com

done.

Roy is staying on top of things.
http://chattanoogan.com/2015/4/15/298203/Roy-Exum-Public-Joins-Big-Lick-Fight.aspx

Please sign and share this important petition.
https://www.change.org/p/erin-jaggers-executive-director-maury-county-convention-and-tourism-bureau-tom-massey-city-manager-of-columbia-tennessee-charlie-norman-mayor-of-maury-county-tennessee-speak-out-against-boycott-the-animal-cruelty-big-lick-tennessee-walking-ho

Roy putting the pieces together as a licker has 55 horses confiscated from horrible conditions. Many are bred mares. There are a few that may not survive the neglect.
http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/4/20/298567/Roy-Exum-Licker-Gets-55-Counts.aspx

Thought I would put this in. The Big Lick in slow motion. Watch the poor black horse at the end try to stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bxHvDZ1P0w

The man who starved the 55 horses also bred dogs. They lived in the same filth but have been rescued.
http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/4/22/298718/Roy-Exum-A-Horror-Story-Gets-Worse.aspx

Please be aware that what’s done to the big lick horses’ legs is only the most talked about part of their abuse. The abuse heaped on this horses to teach them to not flinch when their pasterns are handled for inspection is also heinous; beatings, cattle prods, cigarette burns to the nose. Take a look at the bits that are used; 9 inch shanks on thin twisted wire mouthpieces. Tail braces weighted with chains so the tails stay straight while in the stall. Visit a walking horse show barn; tiny stalls with no windows so the horses will be wild eyed when brought out into the light. Show horses start training at 18 months of age; look at the size of those bastards riding them! Don’t want to sore your show horse? Pressure shoe them so each time their front foot touchs the ground pain shoots up through the hoof. And you can’t just pull those built up shoes; they must be stepped down gradually or risk bowed tendons.
On the other hand, drive through middle Tennessee right now and you will find dozens of former walking horse barns for sale dirt cheap. Recent crackdowns on the big lick industry are putting farms out of business ( not necessarily a bad thing).
One other note: to have a smooth gait with all the build ups for a big lick the horse must be naturally pacey. For decades trail riders and unknowing flat shod people have bred their nice mares to big lick stallions thinking they would get better gaits from the babies. Maybe you get a big lick baby, if not you get a great trail horse. Sadly, that isn’t true. So as the industry moves away from big lick all these grand old bloodlines are not going to produce great flat shod horses. I say “grand” old bloodlines because, to survive and win with the abuse heaped on them big lick horses had to have great bone, super tough feet, an exceptional tolerance for pain and poor handling, and heart. This makes them super family horses and sadly, the number one choice for weekend yeehaw riders. I’m not a walking horse person but I’ve lived my life in the southeast and I have a world of respect for this noble breed.

The man they confiscated all the horses and dogs from had already had 80 horses confiscated 5 years ago. He has obvious mental health issues and the system failed these animals by not keeping tabs on what he was doing for the past several years.