Unlimited access >

Test Ride on Schoolmaster

Happy to report that the ride went very well. Didn’t do more than WTC but I did not die and I actually felt much more competent than I normally do. Thank you all who provided supportive words and stories.

Unfortunately, am passing on the horse given health issues that were not disclosed at the outset and were serious enough (even given expectations of issues in a SM) that I can’t get over them for the price. My risk tolerance is just not that high.

19 Likes

I had the opposite issue once - I tried a younger, greener horse right after riding one that was upper level.

I asked for the canter, horse got lazy and sucked back, I gave him spur and he said EXCUSE YOU and gave the smoothest, most athletic buck I’ve ever ridden. Sorry dude, my bad, forgot to dial down the expectations.

I actually bought the second horse and he always did have the nicest canter. That buck barely felt like he moved.

1 Like

As the owner of an older Schoolmaster, I totally understand the frightening aspects of maintenance.

There was a time when I wanted to sell my guy, mainly because of my own health issues. Even with his PSG knowledge, maintenance does prevent buyers from pulling the trigger. Thankfully after 2 hip replacements we’re still learning & having fun. I truly don’t mind keeping him happy, healthy and comfortable, but it’s extremely expensive.

9 Likes

This. Special shoes, tons of feed to keep weight and muscle, adequan and legend, (thankfully only one joint injection ever), bodywork, skin and hair stuff, supplements, recovery therapies for post-workout, it all adds up to a lot. His supplemental care adds up to another board bill. But, he’s magical and wonderful and it’s worth every penny.

5 Likes

When I tried my schoolmaster, he demonstrated 3 excellent gaits. They were walk, piaffe and passage. No trot, no canter.

A good schoolmaster is worth their weight in gold; mine was. Taught me to really ride!

Good luck!

7 Likes

I’m in New Zealand and went to look at a horse that was doing your Fourth level, while I had ridden equivalent to your First level. I didn’t feel confident at all being watched by his rider, but felt confident on him - if that makes sense?

Anyways, I bought him and had three great seasons from him, and learnt so much. He never said ‘no’, but rather ‘is this what you want?’

I competed him FEI Para Grade V. He’s now leased by a friend who is competing him FEI Para Grade IV.

One thing I didn’t expect was so many people saying, oh you’re so lucky to have a schoolmaster - implying he did it all. Nope, he definitely wasn’t push button! If I didn’t ask, I didn’t get.

12 Likes

Ha! So true. Most people don’t realize how humbling a schoolmaster can be. They make dressage fun but they don’t necessarily make it easy lol

5 Likes

The most disappointing ride I ever had was on a GP school master. I was looking forward to the feeling of a passage and piaff but the horse pretended that he didn’t know I was on board.

1 Like

I let someone at the barn take a couple of lessons on my schoolmaster. She was very frustrated and thought the horse was refusing to canter. Didn’t matter that my trainer could canter on him and that I could, after about a week of buying him, it was all the horse and not her.

Not saying this is your situation, just throwing it out there.

ETA: it was more than a couple of lessons, more like a couple months.