Unlimited access >

The Comeback Kid! (Edited 1/17/22)

Get well soon trouble-mare!!!

1 Like

Oh Boy, come on Abby. Huge noisy jingles from Florida.
So sorry for you too @Texarkana.

1 Like

Jingles!!!

1 Like

So, I hate to be Debbie Downer, but
who decided she got kicked? What evidence is there that she was? I have seem hemangiosarcoma cause the same symptoms, right down to some external swelling, internal bleed, and colic symptoms.

That horse did go home and live happily for several more months.

I hope she bounces back. It would like she has a long history of defying the odds.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s Debby Downer. I think that’s a very valid point. From my understanding the ultrasound results were consistent with external trauma and a kick is just a logical explanation. But I can’t answer your question any better than that because I’m not there. I’m feeling skeptical that it was actually a kick the more I think about it because there was no wound or scrape, no hoof print, no visible scrape, no other kick marks. Maybe she fell, or maybe there is something else, like a malignancy.

1 Like

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO for your Abby ~

? Was this the mare that prompted your husband to give you a bouquet of long stem rolls of vetwrap for Valentine’s Day ?

Adding to the jingles, such a fighter, hope they can help her, again.

1 Like

Good memory @Zu_Zu!

Same mare. :upside_down_face:

24 Likes

This all jogged my memory - a year or so ago I knew of a mare who died (not to scare you) and on necropsy (because there was nothing external to tell them anything), they found a ruptured stomach, which had ruptured, according to the surgeon, from trauma. Obviously you’d think a kick that hard (which I suppose could do that) would have left a very visible external mark, but there wasn’t anything. The only thing the surgeons could come up with was a whole body impact, like the horse was running and body slammed another horse, or the ground, or the side of a barn or something.

NOT saying your mare is that serious, but just an example of how a not-obvious hit could cause internal damage

Still jingling hard!!

1 Like

Oh, no, Tex! I’m so sorry! Jingling hard for Ms Abby. What a totally crazy thing.

How are you holding up?

1 Like

Jingles for your horse!

1 Like

Jingling hard for Abby
 <3

1 Like

Oh my god, I love this – your husband is hilarious!!

Any updates for Abby today?

1 Like

I can’t thank you guys enough for the jingles and support. It means the world to me. I really need to not feel like I’m totally alone with this for my own sanity. My poor husband usually bears the brunt of it.

@Simkie Thanks for asking. I’m trying not to be one of those people whose in constant crisis and everyone thinks they are being histrionic, but by golly Abby doesn’t help me reach that goal. It really helps to be able to share what’s happening with someone.

@beowulf I haven’t heard from her doctors yet today. They told me yesterday no news is good news. I used to work at the university and still know a number of wonderful people there, so I’ve gotten some “unofficial” info on how she is acting from their check-ins on her. It sounds like she is being quiet and dull but is otherwise stable. This horse is a real herdbound looney tune who hates being in a stall and hates having her routine disrupted, so she must be feeling terrible if she is quiet (even if she has medication on board helping her be quiet).

Thank you for sharing that; no, not scary. It’s good information and completely plausible. Her sight is compromised in her left eye and she is not the brightest crayon in the box, either. It’s completely plausible she could have had a similar event.

It’s the kind of situation that’s going to leave me scratching my head about what happened for a long time I think.

6 Likes

Sending jingles for Abby! I also had a chestnut mare with a multitude of health problems. Eye surgery, liver failure, headshaking syndrome, EMND, Lyme . . . it was never ending!

1 Like

Sending love and healing wishes to your Abby. You just know she is doing her best to get healed and home knowing how much you love her.

1 Like

Continued jingles for everyone involved!

2 Likes

Jingling! I hope you hear good news soon!

1 Like

Continued jingles – any updates??

1 Like

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO !

((hugs)) laced with strength and comfort for Abby’s worried owner ~

1 Like