Unlimited access >

The Crown: Show Jumping Scene

There is a local t.v.commercial in my area for a liquor store advertising some type of wine that has a horse on the label. They use a recording of a horse distress call, that neigh they do when separated from their friends. Wears on my nerves.

Well, apparently horse people aren’t the only ones annoyed by the Crown’s inattention to detail! This fly fisherman wrote an letter to the editor about it, lol:

https://slate.com/culture/2020/11/the-crown-fishing-letter-interview-accuracy.html

1 Like

Are you sure they were Friesians? The Queen does have many Cleveland Bays, and they have a fairly upright neck and could be mistaken for Frieians.

Not 100%, but they were awfully feathery for Cleveland Bays, and I thought too tall to be Fells. Aren’t Friesians the standard movie go-to horse?

Lol. I’d imagine that their riding prowess is probably pretty low on the list of things they might not like about the show.

2 Likes

Not necessarily in the UK.

I was thinking the exact same thing about this scene. Just flop the reins on the ground and the horses just graze on the spot? I was wondering why the horses weren’t booking it back to the barn. And leaving one horse while the other takes off; that would have been a good bit greater drama if they showed what horses act like. Also, is it correct to assume that the Queen has no security or people in the vicinity to help her out? It seemed unlikely to me. But I did enjoy the series for this season.

Good point about security, although I suppose since they were on their own estate it was secure.

However, I just thought of another interesting point: To this day, the Queen rides with just a headscarf on her head. No helmet. Apparently they do not consider a TBI a risk to the monarchy, but I sure would!

They’re old school. They grew up riding with no helmet. For them riding on trails is like riding a bike - no need for a helmet.

I don’t think those horses were Friesians either. But I can’t think of their breed. I know the queen still rides her Fell pony, but those were horses, not ponies.
In Europe a lot of the “movie” horses in period films are Iberic horses (Andalusians, Lusitano, PRE, etc) but these didn’t look like those, either.

1 Like

I think one scene looked like a Friesian, but in other scenes, the horses looked like big warmbloods to me. They use horses interchangeably, so we probably all remember seeing the horse with feathers.

downen, I thought the same thing when I watched that scene! It was such a hilarious internet version versus reality, I laughed out loud.

I’m really dating myself here and it’s a totally useless piece of information, but I got to watch Princess Anne ride the cross-country at Badminton in 1982. I’m thinking she fell off at the water jump but I could totally be misremembering that.

1 Like

I looked it up and that was in 1981 at Burghley.
This site has a summary of her career with great pictures

2 Likes

It looks like she fell in the water at both events.

I pulled out my Badminton “programme” and found she was #72 on Stevie B at Badminton in 1982.

So then I went looking online and found this:

5 Likes

That wasn’t the only time she fell off at the water. I am pretty sure she fell off in the water at the Montreal Olympics.

There seems to be a theme going on there.

LOL! Yes water was not her friend

I also happened on an event (can’t remember which one) where she was the victim of a rotational fall (not at the water this time) and was unconscious, suffered a broken vertebrae.

Tough Princess, that one :wink:

This fall made me cringe big time - mostly for the horse, though

At the Montreal Olympics Princess Anne fell off at a vertical made out of fairly narrow round wood pieces on undulating ground. Then was helped to remount and continued even though she had a concussion and afterwards didn’t remember the round.

She did not also fall off at the water - just the one fall in that round. She went on to complete the SJ the following day, even though the British Team did not complete.

What annoyed me about the episode that was supposedly Badminton: first that they called it a “show jumping career” but then were otherwise accurately portraying that it was 3-day eventing. Second (and worse) they called the horse, a chestnut, Goodwill (who was black)! At the least they could have fudged it by not mentioning a name at all!

I read an article that described the stand-in rider, she is a young rider doing very well in show jumping. Obviously they had to go with whatever horse she was riding.

2 Likes

Thank you for saving me from that rabbit hole tonight!

1 Like

[quote="Blugal, post:38, topic:751947, full:true
What annoyed me about the episode that was supposedly Badminton: first that they called it a “show jumping career” but then were otherwise accurately portraying that it was 3-day eventing. Second (and worse) they called the horse, a chestnut, Goodwill (who was black)! At the least they could have fudged it by not mentioning a name at all!

I read an article that described the stand-in rider, she is a young rider doing very well in show jumping. Obviously they had to go with whatever horse she was riding.
[/quote]