Unlimited access >

The Farmer's Dog

:laughing:
I just… We have this routine, I come home from work and let him loose and do chores and then sit in a lawn chair and have a drink and ponder the day and he trots around and I throw the ball and maybe he chews a bone, etc. I had no idea the cats had basically quartered a rabbit under the wheelchair ramp and to look up and have bloody furry animal leg in my face was just a bit :flushed: :flushed: :flushed: :rofl:

2 Likes

Totally !! LOL :crazy_face:

Thanks for catching that.

I have two large dogs, a 75lbs and a 100 lb.

The large 8lb bag of K9 Naturals lasts me roughly 3 weeks. The larger dog also gets 12 nuggets of Primal Freeze Dried daily. If it was just the smaller dog, one bag would last a month.

I know its $$$$ but he is 13, and runs and zips around like a pup. Nice small poops, clean clear eyes, great coat, wonderful muscle tone.

added pic for the heck of it. (riley the smaller is on the right)

I also want to add, that if liver is the only organ Farmer’s dog is adding and its further down the list,… there is not that much liver in thre. And there are better organs out there.

1 Like

I just find the name Farmer’s Dog food well not something I would want as our dogs if allowed would eat all the horse poop in the pasture and be very happy about it

2 Likes

I just adopted a Chihuahua and have always fed my dogs raw; first dog’s food was homemade, next one was Steve’s, then Answers. This new dog just finished her transition to Steve’s frozen raw. I did check out The Farmer’s Dog mix but it has sweet potatoes and lentils as the second and third ingredients. If you’re going to feed that many carbs you may as well save money and do kibble or Honest Kitchen dehydrated.

According to some pet owners, Answers food has changed a bit since new ownership. My next choices after Steve’s would be All Provide or Viva Raw (both are only available online). My dog is only about 8 lbs. so a large order would take forever to use up.

100% agree with Steve’s. Great food and a wonderful company. I had a questions and a PERSON answered on the 2nd ring. I just wish their food came in larger bag sizes.

That is a shame about Answers. I would pick up their products as a treat for my two.

Also, totally left field; but Mars Pet just purchased Orjins and Acana. (I think a week ago or so).

That’s a shame about Orijen and Acana. Mars has taken over a huge chunk of the pet food industry and some brands aren’t the same afterwards. To get a decent food for your pets you have to pay; most of the good brands are small companies and quality ingredients cost more.

I’ll probably stick with Steve’s for now since it’s easy for me to find. Petco has better fresh/frozen foods now but most have grains. I’m not anti-grain for everyone, but it’s a cheap filler that most dogs don’t need.

1 Like

Ooof… just priced out a month of food for some of the frozen raw options for a mastiff. That’s a LOT. I would love to do raw for my next dog, but that might not be in the budget.

And people wonder why my dogs have been tiny. And for my dog’s size, she eats more than the usual recommended 2% because of the higher metabolism. I figure I can pay now with expensive food, or perhaps pay later with expensive vet bills.

1 Like

@Jenerationx - you might be surprised on how little you need to feed. I have a 10 month old 100lb pup and it says to feed her 4lb/day according to a lot of raw companies calculator. There’s no way I would be able to even get that much feed into her! She is an active farm dog so I would say she burns quite a bit of calories off. I only feed her 3/4 of a lb 2 x a day. So about 1.5lb/day with some extras such as raw eggs,veggies, sardines, tripe etc. So you may be surprised on how much less you will have to feed your mastiff (I have a Swissy which has a lot of mastiff in their background - a big solid pup). I would say I pay about $160/month feeding raw currently (depending on what protein I feed) and I was paying over $100/month on kibble with my lab, so really not too much of a difference.

@pony_baloney - I totally agree with you on the more expensive food now and fingers crossed less vet bills and hopefully a longer life span. One can hope for sure.

1 Like

Do you find that you have to feed a lot of Steve’s food? My little dog, now down to just over 6 lbs., just doesn’t seem to utilize this food. I’m now feeding her almost 6 oz. a day and she’s still thin. My last tiny dog, only 6 lbs., needed an amount for a 17 lb. dog to keep her weight stable.

I’m considering switching back to Answers, which my previous dog did well on, even though they’ve changed. The amount of fat is quite high in the Detailed diet; maybe my dog (average daily exercise) needs that extra fat. For the amount of Steve’s she’s eating, she should be quite pudgy (and she’s not pooping excessively either). The rescue fed her 1/2 c/day of Nutro and she looked great so I don’t think it’s something wrong with her digestion.

I did find that I was going through the Steve’s quicker than other foods. The Primal I do not go through as quickly nor the K9 Natural.

Your little guy just may need more calories compared to the recommended amount.

I also do half rations and will split between the two mentioned above and will toss Steve’s into the mix when its on sale.

Thanks for that about Primal. It’s available everywhere but I never tried it; probably thought it was too expensive. But if I can feed a smaller amount to keep weight on her, it’s worth it.

It’s a shame because I really like Steve’s company. I just bought a container of Answers kefir for a few extra calories. She loves it!