Unlimited access >

The impossible to house train dog

@SummerRose and @Hightale, from day one she has been trained to go on command, just like all of my previous puppies. She was praised and given a treat after going. It seemed to be working. She came from a breeder whose dogs have won nationally. Her sire was imported from Sweden. All of the puppies from the litter went to new homes at seven weeks. This breeder is one of the best in this breed in the country.

She was not crate trained by the breeder. All of my pups are crate trained right away and there have been no previous problems. The breeder recommends it as well.

@Hightale, we have gone through gallons of enzyme pee remover! Again, we aren’t novices at this. This is puppy #5 of this breed and all the others were easy-peasy to crate and house train. Our lab was also easy. We did let this puppy come in the house when she was little (heavily supervised), but she is a whirlwind now and keeping an eye on her is not easy.

I appreciate your suggestions. I’ll keep looking for a solution!

3 Likes

I had a dog that would submissive pee all the time, and adult male GSD. I was at a loss, so I thought up a way to make him believe he was helping me be happy by not peeing in the house.

When he peed, I would be distressed and say stuff like “OH NO! How did THIS get here?” and he knew he did it, but he started really trying to control it because he wanted me to be happy. It took about a week for him to be able to control it, but eventually, when he felt fear, he’d lie down and look at his wiener and control himself.

Dogs know when they pee. Be upset at the pee rather than the dog and see of that helps.

2 Likes

You have a very intuitive dog! We are noticing our puppy has some separation anxiety. She is very attached to our lab and the major peeing incidents happen when she is left at home when my husband takes the lab hunting. The puppy also poops when she gets over excited, either when she meets new people or goes for a ride in the truck. The problem may still be immaturity.

She doesn’t have a submissive pee problem, so we won’t be able to use your technique. Pretty neat that it worked for you!

1 Like

That is brilliant.

As far as the dog is concerned, maybe there is not a lot of difference between submissive pee and separation-anxiety pee. As Ericthegreat said, they know when they have the urge. It may not matter why they have the urge. The goal is to get them to control the urge, regardless of why they have it. Ericthegreat’s idea may work in other situations as well.

2 Likes