The L-Word (Laminitis) :(

I’ve heard a lot about iron but he won’t touch the white blocks. I suppose I could try again with that, but he was not a fan.

no iron added, it’s just not processed to remove it.

That said, Redmond salt, for example, says it averages 500ppm Fe, and 1oz of that then means a measly 14mg. The average 1100lb horse needs 400mg.

2 Likes

If they only eat/lick 1 oz :slight_smile: and what other iron intake do they have?

I was under the impression the blocks are pink due to the iron oxidizing.

I just add salt to their feed to avoid the whole issue.

2 Likes

Same here. 1 tablespoon of salt in breakfast and dinner. BO has been providing salt licks but I’m not sure she still does. If not, I don’t mind.

At one barn, when I moved my older mare in, there was a 50 pound white salt block in her shed that was maybe 25% gone. She got it down to less than 50% in 3 years. 6 years later, my young mare moved into that same paddock and shed, and I half expected it to still be there!

OP: you say he gets pellets from an automatic dispenser overnight. How much, and how much hay does it replace?

Am considering this for my older mare, who is a very easy keeper and a hay hoover no matter how small her hayne holes are. She is ulcer prone, and I know she’s going for many hours overnight with no hay.

BO uses one for her mare with a very tricky digestive system, and would install it in Feronia’s shed if I buy it.

1 Like

At this point, I’m considering it since it’s so much more cost effective! :woman_facepalming:t2:

@quietann right now he just gets two pounds total overnight to give him something to bridge dinner/breakfast. The hopper I believes holds 16 lbs though. His are set to dispense a 1/4lb at a time but you could set it to release more at the intervals. I really like it.

The basic requirement is about 1oz for a 1100lb horse. You could double that if needed. So, 28mg.

if a horse is eating significant amounts of free choice salt, the salt needs to be removed and force-fed appropriately, or only put out the amount needed in a day.

yep, in this case, he’s really eating too much, ,so just add what he needs to his feed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tomorrow is container prep day so I will be making that switch!

1 Like

Honestly, it’s SO much cheaper to buy salt. We get regular salt at the grocery store for 99 cents for a 26 ounce canister (the most economical size according to DH, who does the grocery shopping, but I’m not sure.) So less than 4 cents a day!

4 Likes

I meant iron from other sources :slight_smile: Sorry not clear!

I get a 40lb bag of Mix-n-Fine from Southern States for < $10

Charlie is perfecting his multi tasking while we’re rehabbing :laughing:

10 Likes

X-rays are done!! No rotation but he does have a little pocket.

Doc thought what I thought at first was a rub was indeed an abscess and they could be related. This happened about a week after his onset:

Doc used the hoof testers and he didn’t have much of a reaction and tried to dig it out a bit but got nothing. He recommended 3 days of Epsom salt soak + an ichthamole/diaper wrap (not spelled right) to see if there was anything we could draw out before putting glue ons on. That has been moved to Sunday now.

I told him he is still taping at 1065 and we haven’t had much in the way of weight loss. He said he was actually really happy with his BCS and said he looks great for the breed so just keep up what we’re doing.

He said once he’s through the wrapping he should be good to start bringing back to some work!

4 Likes

Anecdotally, I think the Bemer boots really helped mine recover more quickly. Any thoughts???

I have to certainly think so! Ive done the boots nearly every day for the past 5 weeks and the blanket when we’ve had the cooler days. Im really glad I had gotten that when I did!

1 Like

Latest hay analysis is in. I did two separate samples from the same load. Looking at the “as-is” column, ESC + Starch is good. WSC + starch is right on the line, one batch being a hair higher.

Would you continue to soak or feed as is? I’m leaning towards continuing to soak.

1 Like

Definitely soak. This hay seems high. This is my hay:

2 Likes

I would have to soak if feeding to my pony. A less sensitive horse you probably wouldn’t.

1 Like

Interesting turn of events that may not be pointing to laminitis at all and instead a couple of neck issues and possible EPM.

He will still be managed as a high metabolic risk so a no change change there, but keeping weight off will be equally important with the neck issues.

1 Like