Unlimited access >

the morgan horse - not the other warmblood ! :no:

[QUOTE=Ceylon Star;7686930]
I found (well, more like his main rider found) that it was a lot easier to teach my guy his changes after working on the counter canter. Getting him balanced on the “wrong” lead made it a lot easier to teach him that it’s only okay to do a flying change when we ask for it. He has almost seamless natural changes and when he was learning how to canter (at liberty, as a 10 year old. He’d lived in a small paddock that was mostly large rocks for almost 9 years of his life, so hadn’t had opportunity to develop a natural canter) he would swap leads every couple strides, and it was only noticeable if you watched his legs closely.

He’s making his dressage ring debut at a “show and tell” on Sunday. M is doing First Level Test 2 (the Canadian one. I’m not sure if they’re different in the US and Canada). This show is the best venue for a first timer because the way it’s run you can ride up to 2 different tests (M’s only doing 1 with the pony) and you ride each test twice. after you ride it the first time, you get 10-15 minutes of feedback/coaching from the judge, and then you ride the test a second time. The average of your two scores is your score for the test. The show also happens to be held at my old stomping grounds, so it’ll be neat to take my pony there for the first time. I haven’t ridden out there since my coach moved from just down the road [from the ring].

For those who also jump your morgans (or who jump exclusively), do you find that they’re extra super wiggly when trotting into a jump, even with several trot poles leading up to it? My guy will NOT go over a jump (even a 12" xpole) if he trots in, but he’ll get his distance every flipping time if he canters in. He IS green over fences, so we’ve decided to forget about trot jumps for a while and build his confidence by doing canter fences, and when he has a bit more experience we’ll revisit trot fences. I find that for a lot of things, we have to do them backwards. But I’m not sure if that’s a Morgan thing or if it has more to do with him being (according to the vet) “the horsey equivalent of autistic”. Morgans aren’t common on the island, so I’m not entirely sure if it’s a Morgan thought pattern, or if he really is a little extra special?[/QUOTE]

When I started jumping my morgan, I never had an issue getting him to trot over fences. A trick you can do is have 4 trot poles and then a cross rail with 2 wings on both sides of the cross rail so there isn’t anywhere to go. If he still stops you can have someone follow behind him with a whip. Knowing how to trot jumps is a crucial step in their jump training. I would also suggest grid work. It kept my morgan busy and made him more confident.

I’ll make my profile picture a jumping one. :slight_smile:

The biggest problem I found with jumping my mare is that she wanted to jump crossrails like they were 3 foot jumps. (A trainer I know says she’s never met a Morgan who didn’t like to jump. Some of them aren’t very good at it, but they all like it.) It’s a pity we don’t jump anymore, between my physical issues and hers, because she absolutely LOVED it and was very good at it.

My guy doesn’t generally overjump heightwise, he’s more of a “long jumper”. It’s actually quite funny to watch.

The trot-in issue is only under saddle, he’ll trot into a 3’6 jump when freejumping with no problem, but add a rider into the mix and suddenly it’s almost impossible. It’s definitely something that will be revisited, M’s just going to see if doing more canter-ins will build his confidence and help him figure out that trotting in isn’t much different.

He’s a weirdo, that’s for sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

I started a similar thread awhile ago when I got my Morgan. I had previously been riding big WBs so it was quite an adjustment going from that to my 14’2 Morgan mare.

Best decision I ever made. She is very opinionated about stuff; she does not like for other people to ride her; when my trainer tries to ride her she plants her feet and refuses to move toward the mounting block. She loves giving pony rides to little kids and is very careful with them, but other adults…no thank you.

She was also started saddle seat and put out to pasture for only occasional trail rides and then I was so lucky to stumble accross her ad on dreamhorse.

The biggest difference that I’m noticing from a Dressage riding perspective is that because she’s so small, it’s easier to ride small schooling figures. I don’t get exhausted trotting or cantering her, like I do when I ride an 18 hand Hanno.
She does require some time to warm up, and does get bored easily. I can’t always get her head in the game, but when I do, she moves very well for me.

She does have trouble accepting the long drapy Dressage leg as she’s not used to that coming from Saddleseat training. She will also try to stick her head way up to avoid the bit or go way low to pull the reins from you when she decides she’s done for the day.

The trick to riding her is to make it entertaining so that she doesn’t get bored. I mix it up between trails, indoor arena, outdoor arena, formal lunging, free lunging and other ground work.

I can’t drill her on anything or she will get very ticked off and refuse to work with me.

Oh yeah, and cantering can be a problem for them/take longer to train because they are trotters by nature.

Mine is super green as far as jumping is concerned. Never had problems trotting fences but she does get wiggly.

I imagine the `equine equivalent of autistic’ label may apply to her as well, though. :slight_smile:

Edited to remove photos from this post, thanks to the doxxy activities of another forum member.

[QUOTE=Scandias;7687349]

Oh yeah, and cantering can be a problem for them/take longer to train because they are trotters by nature.[/QUOTE]

I have never heard that before. I have not found this to be the case with the 3-4 that I have started. On the contrary, I have found that Morgans have strong backs and are exceptionally well balanced, and they have wonderful natural canters as a rule.

I grew up with morgans and never had issues with the canter, jumping I find them no more or less then any other breed when it comes to wiggles :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Sionna;7686877]
Post some pictures of your morgans! Would love to see them.[/QUOTE]

On my website: www.bobcatmorgans.com
:slight_smile:

We have a 14.1 morgan mare on free lease from some friends of our family. She is one of the best things that has happened to my daughter. I will say they are smart as whips and sometimes when Sassy does not want to work she has my daughter’s number to frustrate DD. DD just wants to not do the grid work, dressage, whatever hard work the pony has decided she’s done with for that day, and opt to hack around. Of course, this is not allowed so they have to work through it.

Every so often the little snits will get to the point I get involved. Pony’s whole attitude changes from the attitude she is giving DD to she knows what is about the minute I say “Off” and I strap on my helmet. Pony demeanor changes from that of a teenage human child picking at another child… to “crap” (note she behaves quite well for DD for a good period after these little sessions). She knows that when I get on what is about to be asked of her is going to get significantly more than what the child knows to ask.

I like to humanize a bit with all my horses and think they know the golden rule “Behave for the kid, mom doesn’t get involved. Don’t behave, mom gets involved”. And I’m pretty fair… I know when its DD behaving like a little brat.

As far as jumping, Sass jumps the MOON and is wonderful on all accounts for our 10 year old (except when they decide to bicker with each other). She really takes care of DD and is willing, sweet, and very very affectionate most of the time. My husband greatly prefers her to our other two mares as she enjoys attention and affection.

I don’t really notice a wiggle anymore than any other breed of horse. Especially with ones that have alot of ‘get up and go’ to and off a fence.

![](y daughter used our Morgans as school horses, the buckskin was the younger kid’s favorite as they called him Spirit (Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron was popular at the time)

It was funny to hear the children’s parents comment on how well their young child was doing as " look they tell him do something and he does it" which was true. They always kind of gasped after I showed him some of his performance photos as the horse could clear jump five feet.

with one of his charges
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/clanter/AudreeandPI.jpg)

even when shown, kids would come to him
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/clanter/May2008164.jpg)

out on cross country course
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/clanter/trinity.jpg)

he would put up with Dressage
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/clanter/DressagePi1.jpg)

My first Morgan her first time cross country at 18 with my 16 year old sister.

Another eventing jump. She’d never even schooled cross country (this was a clinic) and ended up being the lead pony for two horses that were eventing at beg. novice!!!).

Again at 18

Same mare back in the day with me

My mom’s stallion goofing around to see what he’d do (4’3" w a 4’ spread…not bad for a little 14.2 hander :stuck_out_tongue: )

And I needed a lesson horse so borrowed one of my moms ponies. 16 year old cart bred Morgan. Kid has been jumping/cantering since November, mare was pulled out of retirement then after sitting for about 4 years.

http://youtu.be/T0TSD7EpM9s

^ video. I mean, she’s rough and still learning, and pony makes you ask for your lead changes (and even then they are iffy) but for a 16 year old just brought back to work, with a 12 year old kid that just started jumping…not TOO terrible).

[QUOTE=clanter;7684760]
Hearing? they can hear a peppermint being unwrapped from 100 yards.[/QUOTE]

Bwaaaa haaa haa! :yes:

OK, how can I not show her off :slight_smile:

Molly resting up: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8811382@N02/14145670574/in/set-72157644579516052

Our first dressage schooling show: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8811382@N02/14142680382/in/set-72157644473196623

The 6’ cross rail :lol: at our first stadium class: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8811382@N02/14064154331/in/set-72157644473196623

How she treated the rest of the x-rails :slight_smile: :https://www.flickr.com/photos/8811382@N02/14064232632/in/set-72157644473196623 She was much better in the 2’ class…

So many great pictures and stories!

My old Morgan is black too, Someday… and both the bravest and most-chicken horse I know.

Yesterday, wouldn’t step out of his stall because there was a New Hose (with STRIPES) on the ground in front of it. Last week, I rode him through a thunderstorm in the indoor–storm was big and close, lots of flash-bangs, lights went out, other horses all freaked…he got a lot more animated :lol: but he stayed with me. Really with me…ears going back-and-forth, snorty, but right on the bit. Amazing animals.

Oh, and judges either LOFF him or hate him:yes:

[QUOTE=ChristinaClarLuisa;7690665]

Oh, and judges either LOFF him or hate him:yes:[/QUOTE]

:lol: Same here!

OK, riddle me this, fellow Morgan owners: mine avoids stepping in her own manure piles, avoids stepping or rolling in puddles or mud, creates a single toilet spot in her stall, and hates to pee outside of her stall. Are Morgans generally this fastidious or did I just randomly end up with a princessy pony? I’ve never known another horse so neurotic about getting away from the poop once it’s been deposited or keeping her tootsies dry/clean.

[QUOTE=x-halt-salute;7690778]
:lol: Same here!

OK, riddle me this, fellow Morgan owners: mine avoids stepping in her own manure piles, avoids stepping or rolling in puddles or mud, creates a single toilet spot in her stall, and hates to pee outside of her stall. Are Morgans generally this fastidious or did I just randomly end up with a princessy pony? I’ve never known another horse so neurotic about getting away from the poop once it’s been deposited or keeping her tootsies dry/clean.[/QUOTE]

My guy will NOT step in his bathroom spots. He has a poop spot in one corner of the paddock, and a pee corner in the other, and he won’t step in another horse’s mess in the ring. I always chalked it up to him being late cut though (as an almost 9 year old, and he turned 11 this past march)

My gelding is a Pig. In fact, that’s his nickname. He likes to sleep in his poo. He also is competitive in the pooing department. I guess it’s stallionesque behavior because he always has to poo on top of another poo pile in the ring.

My Morgan is a bit of a “princess” about bodily “messes”, dirt etc. At a schooling show, the tests were in an indoor and we were trotting around the outside of the rails marking the dressage court. There was about 3 or 4 feet between rails and wall. Some previous horse had pooped in this area, and the mare insisted on jumping over it! Another horse’s poop in any arena is cause for a snort and a sidle on her part.

She is quite fastidious in her own toilet habits; at the old barn where she was stalled overnight, in the morning you could tell if there had been something “scary” outside, because her poop would be scattered all over the stall and ground into the shavings, rather than neatly lined up along one wall. At new barn, when we trail ride there is one big field where, on the way home, she must ALWAYS stop and pee.

Recent video of me and Feronia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jak0EE-16Qc She was slightly “off” that day, but oh man she wanted to GO. She’s really happiest at a fast canter, even a gallop.

Photo from the same day

[URL=“https://picasaweb.google.com/103634878102801472104/THEFarm06MAY2012#5740725216155273810”]Why one has to keep a sense of humor with a Morgan

Looking smug with her haul of ribbons at the 2014 Vermont Morgan Heritage Days

My favorite photo – beach ride!

Adorable baby Josephine at 5 weeks

[QUOTE=quietann;7691037]
My Morgan is a bit of a “princess” about bodily “messes”, dirt etc. At a schooling show, the tests were in an indoor and we were trotting around the outside of the rails marking the dressage court. There was about 3 or 4 feet between rails and wall. Some previous horse had pooped in this area, and the mare insisted on jumping over it! Another horse’s poop in any arena is cause for a snort and a sidle on her part.

She is quite fastidious in her own toilet habits; at the old barn where she was stalled overnight, in the morning you could tell if there had been something “scary” outside, because her poop would be scattered all over the stall and ground into the shavings, rather than neatly lined up along one wall. At new barn, when we trail ride there is one big field where, on the way home, she must ALWAYS stop and pee.

Recent video of me and Feronia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jak0EE-16Qc She was slightly “off” that day, but oh man she wanted to GO. She’s really happiest at a fast canter, even a gallop.

Photo from the same day

[URL=“https://picasaweb.google.com/103634878102801472104/THEFarm06MAY2012#5740725216155273810”]Why one has to keep a sense of humor with a Morgan

Looking smug with her haul of ribbons at the 2014 Vermont Morgan Heritage Days

My favorite photo – beach ride!

Adorable baby Josephine at 5 weeks[/QUOTE]

She reminds me so much of Ana. I just watched your video with the obstacle course…Ana acts the same way when she’s not sure about stuff…good for you for trying a variety of activities. I recently tried to open a gate while mounted and it swung open and tapped her in the butt…she took off like a rocket :frowning:

Here is my friend/boarders amazing Morgan mare!

Truly are a great breed :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9K5fpwFr_k