Unlimited access >

The most versatile fit dressage saddle... Yet another saddle thread?

Yes, you did say this, but that’s not what you said Wendy was wrong about :slight_smile:

2 horses who are similarly shaped is not at all fitting into the “the most versatile fit dressage saddle” category. The fact that they can currently wear the same saddle means they are not different enough to actually need a “most versatile fit” saddle.

If they both fit in a Pessoa, then look at Prestige - similar in shape, works with taller withers. Try a 34-36cm to give these horses some room to grow, using a thicker pad or a shim up front until they do. There at least used to be quite a few older Prestige dressage saddles out there for very reasonable prices.

Thanks. I’ve thought about Prestige and used to have one. They’d most likely be a 33. I’ll go look again, on eBay. I like the Galileo the most but that’s probably out of my price range.

My experience is that some saddles fit more horses than do others. For example, my medium tree Pessoa jump saddle fits lots of horses reasonably well. In contrast, my devoucoux jump saddle fits no one that well… and few very well. So I am looking for the most versatile dressage saddle… And I do think some are more versatile than are others. That has been my experience and I’ve had saddle fitters agree with that.

Definitely keep an eye out - when I was hunting several years ago, the 33/34/35/36cm ones were EVERYwhere. I needed 38+.

My experience is that some saddles fit more horses than do others. For example, my medium tree Pessoa jump saddle fits lots of horses reasonably well. In contrast, my devoucoux jump saddle fits no one that well… and few very well. So I am looking for the most versatile dressage saddle… And I do think some are more versatile than are others. That has been my experience and I’ve had saddle fitters agree with that.

Absolutely some saddles will fit or “fit” more horses than others. Saddles that are board flat, or super curvy, are going to have a much narrower range of horse that it will fit at least reasonably well/good enough. It’s the ones that are sort of curvy that have the ability to fit a wider range, and there are lots of those :slight_smile:

OP - I do not want to wade into the debate that’s going on about what works for everyone/horse but we’ve had very good luck here at home [with our horses that are related, so similar shape(s) and widths] with the Genesis Special from Stubben. I have ridden in a clients Genesis (no flap strap and knee rolls) and it was very nice as a more universal type of saddle IMO. If you are local to our place and would like to see if it might be an answer for you, please just contact me.

On searching for saddles, I’ve had good luck on the Stubben Used page and on www.horseclicks.com . Ebay not so much.

Good luck!

1 Like

^^^ thank you!

I loff my crosby… Now if i could find it in dressage version!! Barnsby? But seats i found were hard on the crotch but that may be cause it didnt fit me. There is a english brand called “checkmate” got it for $150 inc shipping on ebay. Lovely saddle fit lots of horses without a sheepskin, spring tree, just wasnt built big enough for me i need big blocks ect and this was med. i sold it for 2x price to a family friend

What about an older Spirig?

Teddy, There are Crosby Dressage Saddles out there!

[QUOTE=Teddy;7038149]
I loff my crosby… Now if i could find it in dressage version!! Barnsby? But seats i found were hard on the crotch but that may be cause it didnt fit me. There is a english brand called “checkmate” got it for $150 inc shipping on ebay. Lovely saddle fit lots of horses without a sheepskin, spring tree, just wasnt built big enough for me i need big blocks ect and this was med. i sold it for 2x price to a family friend[/QUOTE]

Well its out of your price range, so I’m not trying to sell it to you, but my custom saddlery victory fits all sorts of “big” horses. Its too big of a saddle for my small (under 16 hands and SHORT backed) mares but the panels are wide and big and squishy, so its forgiving. The tree is relatively straight but with the panels the way they are, it seems to do well on straight backed horses as well as horses with a bit more curve to their back. It doesn’t do well on super slopey backs though. A friend borrowed it for a while and rode 8 different horses a day in it without issue. I want about 2k for mine, but you can find them a bit more used for about 1500 on ebay.

I came to COTH for saddle suggestions for my not flat backed, high withered TB. I tried the saddles suggested and with my price range picked up a lovely Stubben Scandica DL off ebay for $450. I lucked out for sure. My horse loves this saddle and it quite honestly fits me like a dream. I LOVE this saddle!!! LOVELOVELOVE!

My Personal experience:
My eventing coach is riding PSG on her large home-bred WB. I have been taking my mostly-TB young mare to her for tune-up rides. My coach owns a Stubben dressage saddle with a 32cm tree. I had to have my custom-made dressage saddle’s tree narrowed to fit my mare. My coach wanted to use her saddle on my mare during her rides. I was sceptical it would fit, to say the least. Whaddaya know, her MW Stubben fit my little narrow horse!!! So my long-winded suggestion is to go with a Stubben, they are reputed to fit a wide variety of horses, and my experience proves it. Plus the Biomex seat is comfy!

Haven’t gone through all the replies yet but I would have mentioned KN (Neidersuss) since I have an old Symphonie that I’ve used on several horses without problems. And at one time it worked for two horses - one a warmblood and one a fairly high withered anglo-arab with a “curvier” back. I use a thinline under the saddle all the time which may or may not help but I like to do it because it certainly does no harm. I don’t think it is forgiving enough to work if one horse is quite narrow, though. But perhaps using a saddle pad that allows for inserts would help.

Interesting. I started this thread thinking that Stubben and Niedersuss were known to be more versatile in fit. And both are mentioned here. Albion also sounds like a good bet and Spirig, with which I’ve got zero experience has come up.

I almost bought that Scandica, good booie! Dang!

I really like my Marcel Toulouse Aachen with the adjustable Genesis tree. It goes to extra wide and is super easy adjust. Deep seat and super comfy. Love an adjustable tree as my mare gets more fit and slims down.

What about Verhan saddles? I sat in one at a tack shop the other day. Liked how it felt to me…

I splurged on a custom saddlery saddle and love it! Key selling feature was that a friend had hers adjusted - with no issues - for her giant WB from age 3 to 8. In my view, can’t go wrong if the saddle can keep up with that kind of development so money well spent in my opinion.

On a more budget friendly approach, Barnsby saddles for whatever reason are not trendy in north America. They tend to fit TB types very well (can handle the wither/shoulder) and are wool flocked (usually) allowing for tweaking as needed. I would look at those OP as you should be able to find a nice one in your budget.

[QUOTE=Winding Down;7048579]
Interesting. I started this thread thinking that Stubben and Niedersuss were known to be more versatile in fit. And both are mentioned here. Albion also sounds like a good bet and Spirig, with which I’ve got zero experience has come up.

I almost bought that Scandica, good booie! Dang![/QUOTE]

omg!!! Once I had sat in one I loved it and then took it home and it fit my boy like a dream I was off the stalk ebay. That one came up and I watched it like a hawk. Actually someone outbid me at the last minute but they weren’t from this country and the sale was refused. I guess it was meant to be. Where are you located???

I never thought I’d find a saddle that fits both of my horses. One is an older Tb–that has a large heartgirth–but classic sharkfin withers. The other is a WB cross with mutton withers, flat short back and a huge shoulder. My Tb has an older Passier GG in a narrow tree (to clear her withers). Other horse measures as a Wide. My WB cross has back issues (injured her SI ligament) so I ended up buying a used DK saddle (the Freedom). I was very skeptical about the air panels but heard that they are good for horses with back problems so I thought I’d give it a whirl.

Anyway–the saddle is a cutback style and amazingly–it fits my Tb and doesn’t even come close to her shark fin withers. AND it fits my flat backed mutton withered horse too (that’s the one that it’s fitted to). Weird. A few people at our barn have DK’s and they are getting used by multiple horses because they seem to be a little more forgiving. Yes–we do end up using some shims and pads for some to make them work, but I have been surprised at how many horses they seem to fit.

That being said, I am still reserving my judgement on the air panels, but so far, my horses seem to like them.

You should seriously look at the M.Toulouse Genesis dressage saddles. The Aachen is particularly nice!

[QUOTE=time fault;7050695]
You should seriously look at the M.Toulouse Genesis dressage saddles. The Aachen is particularly nice![/QUOTE]

I tried an Aachen a few years ago and it fit one horse and no one else. It wasn’t the adjustable tree though. As a medium tree, it wasn’t versatile in fit with the range of horses I had then.